PDA

View Full Version : Planning help...

mum2two
17-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Although I've been reg for a year now, I've never done planning, as I don't know where to start!!! I've only had 1 part time mindee up til now, so not been a problem really, but would be nice to have a bit of structure. It seems it's going to be what's wanted from when the EYFS comes into effect from what I can gather!

There are loads of cm's in my area, & I've tried asking their advice at the cm group, but most don't do it, and say there's no need, and a few are really cagey & don't really want to give you too much on how they work.

Can anyone give me advice on planning. From the end of Feb I'll have my 2 1/2 yr old, and mindee the same age every morning, and a almost 4 yr old every day after playschool. Do you actually plan the whole day every day? Or do you just plan a different activity every day.

How far ahead do you plan? Weekly, monthly...? I just don't want to have 3 bored kids on my hands. Do you actually have you planning up somewhere, or do a printout so parents know what you're doing, or just have it for you to work from... From reading outstanding ofted reports, the inspectors seem to like planning etc, so I really want to get into the habbit of doing it.

Any advice really gratefully recieved!!

Kelly

Banana
17-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I dont do much planning either, I plan activities like craft and stuff like that but dont do planning for every day and structure it all - Im sure the others will have some advice and I'll have to start adding more planning and structure when the eyfs comes in but for now I am busy enough with everything else not be be spending more time plannig everything

xxx

miffy
17-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Have a look around the activity ideas section for some ideas - there is lots of info to look at

Also most early years depts are doing training on eyfs so you could go on that - how good it will be remains to be seen though

Miffy xx

sarah707
17-01-2008, 03:43 PM
I like to know what I'm doing with the children every day... so I have a theme every week with planning done to follow that theme. I think about the ages and stages of each child and differentiate what I have planned.

So, sitting in the background, every day is something we can get on and do ... then the children arrive and I see what they are interested in doing. Much of their play is led by them and I join in as required... they often ask me what is planned today and we launch into that. Other days they might follow on from something we did yesterday while some days my planning is not used at all... other days they might be inspired and we do 2 or 3 lots in one go.

Ofsted like to see a routine for each child - (this was a biggie when I had an unfounded complaint about me last year... long story, but every day now I work to a routine and write it down - paranoia has set in and I will never work without it again) so I plan that - eg

- morning - we might go to toddlers or for a walk or to the park

- after lunch - we might have a quiet time with books, then messy time, then clean up and snack, then music and movement session, then tea... but in between that structure, the children will follow their own interests and I will slot my themes into the lulls...

Hope this makes sense!

Tily Bud
17-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Each week i very losely plan what we will do in the morning, afternoon and after school. It tends to follow my monthly theme, though not always there are times when we dont do anything from my activity planning sheet it just depends what mood the children are in and what they want to do x

bubbly
18-01-2008, 06:52 AM
My planning is similar to Sarah's for the 3 year old I mind. I'm new to all this and don't know if I'm doing it right but I like to have something written down. That way I know I'll have something to show the inspector.

I don't plan anything for the 3 month old baby though as he's too young. I do things with him but just write them in his Daily Diary. Again, I don't know if I'm doing it right but at the moment it feels the best way to go.

oakie dokie
18-01-2008, 07:44 AM
i try to plan when i am going to get my lunch and a cuppa! see where i can fit it in:laughing: thats my planning!:joker:

bubbly
18-01-2008, 01:58 PM
i try to plan when i am going to get my lunch and a cuppa! see where i can fit it in:laughing: thats my planning!:joker:
:laughing: :D :thumbsup:

Rubybubbles
21-01-2008, 01:45 PM

:laughing: :thumbsup: