PDA

View Full Version : Bit peeved.....

Saranotts
16-10-2008, 12:56 PM
I went to my first ever childminders group meeting at a Surestart centre today and the ladies I met seemed really nice, BUT one of them annoyed me. When I said I cared for approximately 9 to 10 children (the majority are over 8 and I always stay in my numbers) before and after school and then I just have one or two little ones in the day, she said that she had been on a course the week before and how they had discussed childminders taking that many children to school and how they didn't agree with it and it should be banned. I can understand that it can be more difficult to take that many to school, however, I feel the children I look after and they way we do it is actually a lot safer and a lot better than a lot of parents who are only taking their own children to school.

My circumstances are that I live in a very small village with only light traffic, the children have to wear hi-vis vests, walk in pairs holding hands with the oldest at the front and the youngest of each pair on the inside and they each take it in turns to be in charge as we cross and everyone has to listen, as they ask the questions, "can we hear any cars coming", "can we see any cars coming", "Is it safe to cross?". I don't allow any running and although they chatter they have to keep the noise level down, so that they can hear instructions. Any new or young ones where wrist straps and hold onto the pushchair or are in the pushchair.

Most people when they see us smile and say how well behaved the children are and (bragging) I do have a waiting list and these are people who see us coming and going to school, so I am sure if they had an issue with their childrens safety they wouldn't be asking me to have theirs.

Anyway, I feel a lot better now I have got that off my chest. Am I in the minority who think that when done properly and with forthought you can care for that many children happily and safely? Or do all other childminders want the numbers lessened so that we can only care for 6 children at the most whatever their age?

Sara:eek:

Oh my god, essay or what!

Bevbeetle
16-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Dont worry what she says, you said other people comment how well behaved they all are and you have a waiting list so you must be doing something right:clapping:

sue32
16-10-2008, 01:03 PM
it sounds that you have a very good system in place and I:clapping: :clapping: you for walking them to and from school. i know some one who does the same and it works well for her, the only thing that she has is a whistle so she can blow it if she needs any of them to stop reather than shouting as it a sound they would not hear all the time:clapping:

Chatterbox Childcare
16-10-2008, 01:04 PM
The only conclusion is that they are all jealous. I bet they wouldn't turn the work down should it come to their door

Well done you

Saranotts
16-10-2008, 01:14 PM
it sounds that you have a very good system in place and I:clapping: :clapping: you for walking them to and from school. i know some one who does the same and it works well for her, the only thing that she has is a whistle so she can blow it if she needs any of them to stop reather than shouting as it a sound they would not hear all the time:clapping:

I must say, I have wondered about a whistle but worried that it might get a negative reaction - the Vontraps father springs to mind :laughing: :laughing: .

I do play a game when we get very close to school (no roads) with the little ones (when doing a playgroup run) called the stop and go game, whereby I say a word, e.g. cold - and they have to clutch themselves, or I say star jump and they do a jump or go and they have to run, I then at any time will say STOP any they have to stand like statues.

I might suggest the whistle though to the parents and see what reaction I get.

Thanks

Sara

buildingblocks
16-10-2008, 01:16 PM
IAnyway, I feel a lot better now I have got that off my chest. Am I in the minority who think that when done properly and with forthought you can care for that many children happily and safely? Or do all other childminders want the numbers lessened so that we can only care for 6 children at the most whatever their age?Sara:eek:Oh my god, essay or what!

I say don't worry what others think so long as you are happy with what you do, you are not breaking any regulations, stuff the others probably jealous you are full and busy.

I take 6 to school in a morning some days and they are all under 6. 1yr and 2 yr in a double, 2 x3 yrs, 1 x 5 and 1 x 6 all behave crossing roads all hold hands to cross roads youngest near me holding pushchair older ones on outside. I know my children and their capabilities and trust them and they also know (5 yr old in particular) any misbehaving and they are on reins and wrist straps never had to do this yet

ajs
16-10-2008, 01:30 PM
sara you sound as if you're doing a fantastic job
i don't know if you've read of my experience with the sure start centre but i have decided that people only use it so that they can watch others and make notes on their failings
no one tells us what a fantastic job we are doing
they are quick to criticise never to praise.
if you're parents were unhappy with the way you deal with the children and the school drop then they would let you know

don't worry about her she sounds like she's jealous of how busy you are or jealous that you can control such a large amount of children when she probably can't control one

well done

keep up the good work

Saranotts
16-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks Mandy, I must admit I have been following your threads and was horrified by what they had done to you and so was very wary this morning about everything I did and said (made sure I had plenty of nappies, gloves, wipes etc). I did also wonder which centre it was as I believe you are in Nottingham and so am I.

Thanks

Sara

P.s. Keep your chin up, I am happy to help form a possee to show them what we think of their underhand behaviour.

miffy
16-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Take no notice of these people Sara - sounds like a touch of the green-eyed monster.

If you get complimented on the children's behaviour when you are walking to and from school and you have a waiting list then as someone else said you have to be doing something right.

Miffy xx

Helpinghands
16-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Am I right in believeing that the ratio's stand everywhere? I thought I could only have 3 under 5yr at any one time?

Twinkles
16-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Am I right in believeing that the ratio's stand everywhere? I thought I could only have 3 under 5yr at any one time?

It depends how many of your own you have and how old they are.
I have no small ones of my own and can have 6 under eight of which no more than three can be under five. But you can have as many over eights as your insurance allows ( providing it doesn't impact on under eights ) my insurance allows me to have 12 at any one time including under eights.

Rubybubbles
16-10-2008, 06:19 PM
:mad: it makes me cross when we feel we have to defend oursleves to others! agree with everyone green eyed!! well done hun, I had 10 children for a very short period of time (back in June 2006) as a childminder gave up and the mums went into a panic, I had 1,2,3,4(rising 5),6,7,8,8,9,11 I got some comments during that period of time and although I want ot say yer and, I found myself saying I'm withing my number ect ect:laughing:

is that with ref to bb - she had a varition ;)

Saranotts
16-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Thank you for all the replies I feel a bit better now. I started to worry that the other childminders in the village might be thinking this and I was getting a bit paranoid.

It's not like I am a money grabber, I'm just rubbish at saying no and hate letting people down. I even joke that the reason that I make the children wear hi vis vests is so that other parents can't sneak their kids into my walking bus!! That and it makes it more obvious that I am a childminder and not just the local two wheeled transportation system:eek: .

Sara

Helpinghands
17-10-2008, 09:43 AM
It depends how many of your own you have and how old they are.
I have no small ones of my own and can have 6 under eight of which no more than three can be under five. But you can have as many over eights as your insurance allows ( providing it doesn't impact on under eights ) my insurance allows me to have 12 at any one time including under eights.

Thats ok then...bring on the children. Although thats not happening too quickly at present :(

Good for you Sara standing up for yourself and love the control you have when keeping the children safe!! Bravo x

Andrea08
17-10-2008, 09:53 AM
WOW i think your doing a great job and to have a waiting list shows parents are happy with the way you work,

tell the silly woman just coz she not good enough to do it dont mean others carnt!!

keep up the good work hun no complaints about 2 teachers taking a full class to the local swimming baths for their lesson!!!
you are as good if not better than teachers when it comes to road safety and behaviour :p