PDA

View Full Version : nits!

katikatkins
16-10-2008, 12:50 PM
i childmind a 17 month old little girl- on the second day i had her i noticed nits in her hair, told her mother to pick her up and treat it. she did that, i have found more lice in her hair 3 times since and shes been picked up and treated. the thing is she still has alot of eggs in her hair. can't see any lice. should she be sent home just for the eggs, even if they all may be dead? what would you do? thanks x:panic:

Saranotts
16-10-2008, 01:36 PM
I could be completely wrong but I don't think we are allowed to discriminate children because they have nits. Have a look on the bromley site (I think that's where I saw it). Tell the mum that you have heard about a fantastic comb at Boots and that although it's £10 its brill and really gets all the eggs out, unlike some of these combs that couldn't catch anything.

Sara

Good luck, I'm itching now

jaz
16-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Good luck, I'm itching now

Me too - I hate nits

J

x

Saranotts
16-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Me too - I hate nits

J

x

So do I but they absolutely adore my 6 year old daughter......complete nightmare - I spend so much time going through her hair that I am starting to feel like a mother silverback gorilla :laughing: :laughing:

marian
16-10-2008, 02:13 PM
My head has started itching!!!!:laughing:
Marian x

PixiePetal
16-10-2008, 02:33 PM
It's the 'nitty gritty' nit comb that you need.

I recommend it to all the parents, gets everything out - alive or eggs. worth every penny of the £10 or so.

Jen :)

Bevbeetle
16-10-2008, 02:42 PM
seen a thread on here about vosene shampoo i have started using that now recommended it to a mindee mum (her little girl always has them) shampoo killed them straight away not sure if its a repellent

CCJD
16-10-2008, 02:59 PM
we use the comb from boots as my daughter only has to smile at a child who has lice and she gets them. It is fantastic gets all eggs out in one good combe - cannot recommend enough and cheaper in long run than lotions etc as you can use it again and again.

sarah32
16-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Im having a nightmare with my 2 children at moment, they are coming home every day with live nits on their hair.

Ive tried the shampoos that are spose to repell them but they dont. Ive treated their hair only to go back next day and ocme home with them again. Ive got the normal nit comes but ehy bend out of shape after a while so will go and check out this nitty gritty comb and the vosene as well.

PaulaR
16-10-2008, 05:11 PM
I agree with the nit comb that cost a tenner. I wish it had been around five years ago, I used to struggle with the little comb when my daughter brought them home from school.
I will loan mine out if the parents want to try it but so far haven't had to.

finbob
16-10-2008, 08:16 PM
I LOOK AFTER A LITTLE GIRL AND SHE CONSTANTLY HAS NITS I KEEP TELLING HER MUM AND I THINK SHE MUST BE FIBBING TO ME AS SHE ALWAYS HAS THEM.I HAVE HAD NITS ABOUT EIGHT TIMES SINCE IVE HAD HER FROM CUDDLING HER WHEN SHE CRIES ITS GOT TO THE POINT NOW WHEN SHE CRIES I GIVE A CUDDLE BUT I PULL MY HEAD BACK WHICH IS AWFUL BUT I HAVE AN ALLERGIC REACTION TO THEM AND I GET BUMPS ALL OVER MY HEAD.

PixiePetal
16-10-2008, 09:51 PM
I have recommended the nitty gritty comb to 3 sets of parents. Totally swear by it.

If a family say lo's have had nits and done treatment and combing I ask if I can give them a check in the day - usually get a few more, better in the comb than on me!! :laughing:

Jen

avril
31-03-2009, 08:03 PM
seen a thread on here about vosene shampoo i have started using that now recommended it to a mindee mum (her little girl always has them) shampoo killed them straight away not sure if its a repellent

My friend using vosene on her dogs!
tea tree oil is suposed to be another good one a few drops and off run the nits or so I've heard!!:laughing:
Got to go starting to scratch myself!!

Gizmo
31-03-2009, 08:07 PM
the mum could be passing them back to her daughter, she will need to treat herself as well

I am soooo itchy now:)

FussyElmo
31-03-2009, 08:24 PM
The problem you should treat again 5-7 days after the original treatment to get any that have hatched. The best way to get them all is to pick out each and every one of them out with your fingers, conditioner and nit comb. Have never tried the £10 comb never heard a good review about till now.

madasahatter
31-03-2009, 08:32 PM
The nitty gritty nit comb is available free on prescription if you ask your doctor nicely. See the link http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=552783

Jen4Kids
31-03-2009, 08:32 PM
I havent heard about Vosene shampoo but we do have a Nitty Gritty comb and are getting another one when we next go shopping :thumbsup: It will make the twice weekly nit combing session with 4 kids much quicker :laughing: