PDA

View Full Version : eyfs not sure if im doing it right

finbob
16-10-2008, 12:40 PM
right heres what ive been doing i do a daily diary and then at the bottom i put what areas of the eyfs they have been doing eg.pd [physical development] what i want to know is you know the chart we got on what they should acheive by the age of five do we just tick off what they have acheived and pass onto parents ?????

sarah707
16-10-2008, 03:33 PM
right heres what ive been doing i do a daily diary

Daily diary is a book which passes between you and parents every session... encourage parents to put info in about what the child does at home etc.

Put in comments about the child's day, things he's eaten, drunk, comments about nice things he's done etc

and then at the bottom i put what areas of the eyfs they have been doing eg.pd [physical development]

Parents won't get this... and the diary is for them... so I wouldn't bother tbh

what i want to know is you know the chart we got on what they should acheive by the age of five do we just tick off what they have acheived and pass onto parents ?????

Noooooooo! The things to do by the end of reception is for the provider where the child spends the most time ... usually school.

You should be using the grids at the back of the 2nd book of the Eyfs... they show different things children might be doing at different ages, so you can tailor Eyfs for every child.

Once you've had a good look through them work out where your children sit in the grids - some overlap. Then you can do brief observations to spot children achieving and doing brilliant things and moving on with their learning and development.

Hope this helps! Ask if you still have questions... :D

buildingblocks
16-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Hope this helps! Ask if you still have questions... :D

I have a question Sarah can I move in with you for a couple of weeks so you can help me to understand it all :panic: :panic:

sarah707
16-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Course you can ! :D

Minnie mouse
16-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Sarah do you have room for one more? :) :laughing:

sarah32
16-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Id be interested to:laughing:

Wendy Woo
16-10-2008, 06:26 PM
And me!!!!! Please please please xxxx

Can i just ask if we have to do a seperate diary for each child!!! I do a sheet to keep in a folder here which parents are more than welcome to read.

I dont do individual ones as i never get them back everyday and parents wont write in them even wen asked!!!!

sarah707
16-10-2008, 06:50 PM
It's up to you how you show you are meeting the 'sharing information with parents' bit...

Best practice suggests a daily diary, but there are other ways such as talking at handover, sending emails with progress reports etc.

So long as you can show you're doing it properly that's what is important :D

finbob
16-10-2008, 07:53 PM
THIS DIARY THING ISNT 4 PARENTS IM DOING IT AS DAILY OBS I SHOULD OF WROTE THAT B4 SORRY AM I DOING THIS RIGHT
EXAMPLE LITTLE BOY WAS DIGGING UP POTATOES TODAY AND HE WAS COUNTING THEM.
PSED PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
KUOW KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE WORLD
PSRN PROBLEM SOLVING REASONING AND NUMERACY WOULD THIS SATISFY OFSTED OR DO I NEED TO DO MORE?????
SORRY IF I CONFUSED YOU

sarah707
16-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Digging up potatoes - yes, physical development... next steps... he might enjoy making mud pies...

Counting them - yes psr&n... next steps... he might like counting the potatoes when cooked to consolidate his knowledge.

YOu could also extend his knowledge by letting him examine the potatoes now, then cooking them and seeing how they change, things like that show you are building on the child's interests.

Sounds like you had great fun! :D

finbob
16-10-2008, 08:50 PM
THANX FOR THAT I JUST NEEDE SOME REASSURANCE I WAS DOING IT OK AND YES HE WAS HAVING FUN HE WAS EVEN EATING RAW CARROTS AFTER DIGGING THEM UP THATS A FIRST.

Pauline
16-10-2008, 09:21 PM
and then at the bottom i put what areas of the eyfs they have been doing eg.pd [physical development]

Parents won't get this... and the diary is for them... so I wouldn't bother tbh

Depends on the parent though. I'm putting the areas of development into the the child's folders that are shared with parents, and they are extremely interested. :)

MissTinkerbell
17-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I agree with Pauline about depends on the parent - I do the same but then my mindees mum is a R/Y1 teacher so she knows what I'm talking about and is interested in it all.