PDA

View Full Version : Help! advice needed, portable radiators

rubyrose
14-10-2008, 07:45 PM
hello im a newbie here, i posted last a month or so back to introduce myself but have struggled to get on since. im in the process of childproofing my house before my first ofstead, im hoping to get my forms in in the next few weeks (very scared!) but im having a bit of a flap and need some advice. we are planning to use our new conservatory as a play area as its nice and spacious so ideal for messy play and toy storage. im however worried about heating it. is it safe or ok to use a portable radiator? it wont be an oil filled one or gas / halogen, ive seen some that are like oil filed ones and eco friendly but am worried its not going to be allowed? is it ok to have portable radiators? im so woried about buying the wrong thing im getting into a pickle tbh!
thanks for reading!
Ruby X:blush:

emmadines
14-10-2008, 08:07 PM
hello im a newbie here, i posted last a month or so back to introduce myself but have struggled to get on since. im in the process of childproofing my house before my first ofstead, im hoping to get my forms in in the next few weeks (very scared!) but im having a bit of a flap and need some advice. we are planning to use our new conservatory as a play area as its nice and spacious so ideal for messy play and toy storage. im however worried about heating it. is it safe or ok to use a portable radiator? it wont be an oil filled one or gas / halogen, ive seen some that are like oil filed ones and eco friendly but am worried its not going to be allowed? is it ok to have portable radiators? im so woried about buying the wrong thing im getting into a pickle tbh!
thanks for reading!

I have on but only put it on when the kids are not in there. ours in in our conservatory too. I also have it behind a small bamboo like coffee table (it gose on for an 30 mins to and hour at most.

gailee
14-10-2008, 08:18 PM
When i had my inspection last December i asked my inspector and she said it was ok ? I have a oil filled raidator in my conservatory as long its not reachable by little hands and children not left alone with it!! :D

miffy
14-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Ofsted won't tell you what's allowed or not allowed - it's up to you to decide what's safe and/or how to use it safely.

Sorry I don't know anything about the different types available but you'd need to do a risk assessment to show how you've considered all aspects and made sure it's safe

Miffy xx

Heaven Scent
14-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Like any radiator you need to risk assess it and render it safe even if it means putting some sort of guard around it to make it safe when it is turned on - My own children were quite young when we got out conservatory at our last house and we used to put the oil filled radiator on early to take the chill out of the room and then open the door between there and the dining room to let some of the heat travel in from the radiator in there I would then have the oil filled radiator on timer on a very low setting coming on and off at various stages throughout the day and it always stayed at a comfortable heat and mine was north facing - if it is facing any other direction the sun on clear days will keep it warm even in winter.

I think if you are sensible and observant you will be fine.

buildingblocks
15-10-2008, 09:05 PM
thanks for reading!

when I first had my conservatory I had an electric heater I was given and put it behind a fire guard i had spare

jellytot
15-10-2008, 09:35 PM
my old house only had portable oil filled radiators (no heating) and inspector never even commented on it. i think as long as you can show you are competant and knowledgeable (sorry sp) they should be fine

Alibali
16-10-2008, 01:52 PM
My oil filled radiator has a thermostat control on it so seems to be ok