PDA

View Full Version : bed wetting

chubbymummy
16-01-2008, 09:57 PM
my 5 year old daughter was dry in the day at 18 months old but still needs a nappy at night

she sleeps so deep which i think is the problem

when i have discussed this with some other parents of the same age have said that their child is the same

i was just wondering how common a problem this is and if anyone has any advice.

drs have said they will not do anything until she is 7 years old, my other two children did not have this problem.

sarah707
16-01-2008, 10:01 PM
You're right they don't do anything until the child is 7 nowadays - which always seems a long time to me, but they reckon 1 in 4 children aged 5 are still not dry at night...

Can you cut down what she's drinking in the evening, so she drinks her fill during the day and has her last big drink with tea? Then she won't have too much in her system at night...

Sure others have better ideas... my 2 were a long time ago! :D

miffy
16-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Sorry I didn't have this with my own children but I know from friends that it is quite common so try not to worry.

Miffy xx

Trouble
16-01-2008, 10:07 PM
my sons friend was still wet at night until he was 11 just his thing i suppose every child is different

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 10:13 PM
My daughter used to wet the bed ( crikey hope she does not come and read this she will have a fit )

Sometimes it is so difficult - you try everything you can think of
Everyone gives advice.
Stop the late night drinks - which I would expect you are doing
Wake them up during the night
The list goes on and on

Then there are the nights when you are so tired and you are a bit snappy and fed up
You just want your child to stop
Then you are patient and know how horrible it must be for them

My daughter used to go into a deep sleep too

I never put nappies on her at that age and I am not sure that is a good thing to do
Maybe you could use protective bedding now and explain that she is a big girl
The nappies could be holding her back a little - she has no reason to even bother to get out of bed does she ?

I would do that protective bedding and pants at night
Take her to the toilet when she goes to bed
Then wake her when you go to bed
I actually used to set my alarm for around 3.30am and take my daughter again it did help such a lot

Then keep reminding her of it all the time

Do not get cross and do not make a big deal out of it
It might take a while but be patient you will get there

Angel xx

John
16-01-2008, 10:14 PM
I don't know if this is true but was told by two health visters that if you potty train a child to early then that child might regress back in wetting as a comforter? as it's was not the time to get the child out of a nappy. She did say if you force a child to use a potty or toilet it's a form of abuse and the child will suffer in laiter life and revert back to wetting as the child remembers when he or she was happy?

My sisster as four children and three was potty trained early and had bed wetting problems but the one that came out of nappies at the age of 3 1/2 had no promblems.

I don't know if this is right is just what i've been told.

John.

Spangles
16-01-2008, 10:15 PM
I was having this conversation with someone the other day too.

He was saying that his eldest daughter is 6 and has the same problem and the docs won't do anything until she's 7.

I did a lot of research about this last year for various reasons and it's actually very, very common. In fact, I found out that surprisingly it's very common for adults to wet the bed too and not just aged people either. It's just a very taboo subject so people don't realise.

I think they advise to try not to worry about it, just accept it for the time being and act very casually about changing the sheets, etc.

Other than that I can't help I'm afraid.

I hope that your daughter is okay and this doesn't upset her too much, hopefully it will correct itself in due course.

Sorry I can't help you any more on this.

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Not sure John

All my children were potty trained early for the simple reason I had them so very close in age so I did not want a few of them in nappies at any one time so it worked for me

Only my daughter wet the bed and I still say it was because she went into a deep sleep and had a weak bladder she just needed to go a lot.... she is still the same now... not wetting the bed of course haha but still needs to go a lot during the night

Angel xx

chubbymummy
16-01-2008, 10:39 PM
thanks for all the replies

i have ....... cut out late drinks
taken nappies/ pj pants off for weeks at a time ( she does not wake up in the night even when her bed and pj's are wet!!!!!

health visitor even said to make sure she drinkd plenty in the day to make her bladder stronger

she is my third and although i did potty train my eldest at 20 months (he has had no problems bed wetting) i decided that i would not do it again with my others as that early however both my daughters stopped at about 18 months wetting in the day and going on the potty very early i know!!!

Trouble
16-01-2008, 11:15 PM
maybe shes not ready, and needs more time

Blaze
17-01-2008, 02:25 AM
C is now 8 & apart from a very rare accident (normally when she has dreamt she is on the toilet) doesn't have this problem. However, when she was 5 she did because she is a heavy sleeper & also just carried on sleeping in a puddle! I put her in pull ups at bedtime, overtime the times they were wet in the morning became less frequent& she just grew out of it. I wouldn't advise a reward chart as it's something they can't really control if they are asleep & it may cause distress at not progressing IYSWIM. A friend at the same time had a similar problem with her daughter & like Angel used to wake the child up & take them to the toilet ...again they grew out of it...I know the method I used was less effort for all involved , if a tad more expensive! It really is extremely common...just taboo!
Tasha:)

sarah32
17-01-2008, 08:03 AM
My daughter still wets the bed, not every night. Shes 7 years old. She did have a problem when she was 4 as she was wetting herslf all the time, I had to push for help as it ruled our lives.

They found she has irratable bladder and put her on medication. She wasnt on it long. Shes now sorted in the day but still has accidents at night. To me this is sooo much better. I do find she goes into a deep sleep and doesnt even realise shes wet herself until I wake her up.

I stop her drinks a couple of hours before bed and sometimes when I go to bed I just wake her up and take her to the bathroom for a little wee.

I now have the same problem with my youngest.

Oh what fun.

custardcream
17-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Hi, both my sons were bed wetters, but we were able to get the alarms from the health visitor. They didnt want to give my youngest son the alarm cos he was young (4 or 5) I think, but he was becoming upset about having a wet bed, so they relented. The alarms are really good, I wasnt too sure about them at first but they really work. The child has to really wake up for his brain to learn that he needs the loo, it is no good lifting them out of bed when they are asleep to put them on the loo.We were also told that orange squash makes things worse and like you were told to give them lots of drink during the day but stop after tea time.
I do know of someone who has just brought one of these alarms from the internet, but I am not sure how much it was, but it might be worth a look, cos they really do work.

Banana
17-01-2008, 08:20 AM
I dont have any advice for you but hope that she will just grow out of it!! It must be frustrating for everyone. Im sure she will get to grips with it soon enough though.

Can someone tell me if I should be introuducing no nappies at bedtime for Isabelle?? She is still in pull ups, shes been dry through the day for 7 months. she has not long turned 3. When should I do the night time thing. I know i've asked before but dont know where the thead is but I want to get on with it and just want to check Im not pressuirng her into it. She is sometimes dry when she wakes and sometimes wet. Is 3 to young for me to expect her to be dry all night with no pull up?

x

helenlouise
17-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi

My daughter was dry at night by the age of 3 but my boy Charlie who is 6 tommorow HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLIE:birthday: is still in pull ups at night and not bothered about it atall.

I have tried to leave them off but he just wets the bed and sleeps right on thru it.

I will just wait and not stress. There is a hormone in the brain that kicks in at some point to wake us to go to the loo. It will happen.

I don't know many teenagers still in pull up so i wouldn't worry as long as it isn't bothering your child.

Helen:)

custardcream
17-01-2008, 08:30 AM
I agree Helen, dont worry about it , it is really really common and they cant help it.

angeldelight
17-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Lana my grandson is not yet 3 and dry at day and night
There is no right or wrongs - a child I mind who is 3 is still in nappies
It does depend on the child and only you know - give it a whirl if it does not work at night no big deal just go back to the pull ups for a while

Happy Birthday to Charlie for tomorrow Helen - hope you take some birthday pics with Buttercup
Have a lovely day

Angel xx

fionamal
17-01-2008, 11:10 AM
SOrry but cant help with advise either. Both mine were dry day and bight by the time they were 21/2. Friends daughter is 4 and is only just dry during the day and still has pullups at night.

I used to lift my 2 when I went to bed to take them to pee but that lasted for a couple of weeks and they started to get up themselves to go.

They have the odd accident but thats only if they are not well.

Banana
17-01-2008, 11:15 AM
ok, I think I am going to give it a go then! I should have tried when I trained her through the day I suppose but I was more concerned for getting her sorted in the daytime.

SO then... I think I will have a little chat with her this afternoon and see how she feels about it and then go form there!!

Thanks for your comments ladies

Happy birthday to Charlie for tomorrow!!!

xx

Rubybubbles
17-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Not read all the post but your not alone,

My ds is 6 in March and still in pull ups, I can try for weeks at a time and he's always wet. I'm going to read what everyone said when I get a mintue!

HV said untill 7 they won't do anything

chubbymummy
17-01-2008, 04:08 PM
thanks again everyone for your advice i think you do go through times when you feel it's just your child but it does help to know that it's not just my child!

Mollymop
17-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Hi ya CAthy,

My son never wet himself at all when he was potty trained. Not at playschool , not anywhere, but when he hit 5 and was in reception year we came across the bed wetting problem and it seemed a big problem as even with the plastic sheet on his bed, we had to throw away his matteress after a while. Luckily after a good few months it stopped. I thought at the time he would never grow out of it.
Good luckX

Chell
17-01-2008, 08:18 PM
my 5 year old daughter was dry in the day at 18 months old but still needs a nappy at night

she sleeps so deep which i think is the problem

when i have discussed this with some other parents of the same age have said that their child is the same

i was just wondering how common a problem this is and if anyone has any advice.

drs have said they will not do anything until she is 7 years old, my other two children did not have this problem.

I've not read all the replies but my son is the same. He hasn't worn a nightime nappy since he was three as I thought he would be ready having been dry through the day for well over a year. If we stay in a hotel then he will agree to wear pyjama pants as we can't deal with a wet bed.

At home we lift him for a wee about 10pm. If we didn't do this then he would be wet every night. Sometimes he has phases were he will have a wet bed a few nights in a row despite being lifted, other times he is dry for weeks.

Luckily he is hot in bed and only has a summer tog quilt so I can wash and dry it easily.

Banana
17-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Have put izzy in a pull up tonight as Richard thinks we need a matress cover before we start this. However. I brought her milk drink forward before bed, she has been toth loo twice this evening before bed and I am going to lift her when we go to bed. My thinking is if we have a dry pull up in the morning then we are making progress and will get her a matress protector at the weekend.

I have talked with her this afternoon and asked her how she feels about being a super big girl and wearing pants to bed instead of pull ups and we had a job getting her into the pull up tonight as she thought she was super big already!

Lets hope it all goes to plan :)

Good luck to all of you getting your little ones dry through the night. Sounds like it could be hard work but at least we are all going through it :D

xx

angeldelight
17-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Good luck Lana hope it all goes to plan

Keep us posted

Angel xx

Tily Bud
17-01-2008, 10:07 PM
I think the best thing to do is be very relaxed about th whole thing, very hard i know, and nature will take its course x My nephew was 6 1/2 when he stopped wetting and my daughter still occasionaly wet up to the age of 8 so there is plenty of time yet x

Banana
18-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Her pull up was wet this morning - but she told me she did it when she got up - little rat bag!!

x

angeldelight
18-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Haha that was funny Lana not so funny for you though ha

Angel xx

Banana
18-01-2008, 10:53 PM
mmmmm...

funny but she's a cheeky little thing!

manjay
18-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Not sure we are quite ready for potty training in our house. Ds thinks it's really funny to watch a puddle growing on my carpet while shouting "weeeeee" at the top of his voice!

amanda xx

Banana
18-01-2008, 11:10 PM
:D

Thats funny! For me - not you
x

LittleAcorns
18-01-2008, 11:13 PM
I dont have any advice for you but hope that she will just grow out of it!! It must be frustrating for everyone. Im sure she will get to grips with it soon enough though.

Can someone tell me if I should be introuducing no nappies at bedtime for Isabelle?? She is still in pull ups, shes been dry through the day for 7 months. she has not long turned 3. When should I do the night time thing. I know i've asked before but dont know where the thead is but I want to get on with it and just want to check Im not pressuirng her into it. She is sometimes dry when she wakes and sometimes wet. Is 3 to young for me to expect her to be dry all night with no pull up?

x

Hi Lana, My advice would be to let Isabelle guide you with night time, I just waited til the girls pull ups had been dry for a constant 2 weeks then tried, but with Amber as soon as I did that she started to wet again, she was 4 until she came out of pull ups at night, yet Lucy was 2 yrs 9 months (I remember it because thats when she was dry in the day)

Schnakes
18-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Hiya,

My daughter may well put rat poison in my food for telling you all this (:eek: ) but she had this problem up until very recently. Dr was useless, the clinic they referred her to was at 3pm, half an hours drive away (and /i dont drive!!) so impossible for her to go to with her school etc...anyway - we were doing the lifting thing,everything...then, just before Christmas she suddenly stopped. (shes 9 now). I dont know why, and /i cant really offer any real advice except to say that just be patient, dont be angry (hard as that may seem when they wake you up at 3am with a wet bad etc!!) and just keep on being the good mum you are. Im sure it will peter out eventually. PM me if you want to chat about it. :)

Sx

LittleAcorns
18-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi Cathy

Lucy was till sometimes wetting until she was 8years Perhaps only a couple of times a month, sometimes a couple of times a week though, but then it suddenly stopped, thinking about it though at first it only used to happen when she was poorly, so perhaps she was in a deep sleep, but from, Id say the age of 6 - 8 she did it more, she got very worried about it happening, and I used to hear her go to the toilet about 6 times, I always went to reassure her it wasnt a problem, bless her but she did worry xx

mummyspice
18-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I have a 9 yr old who is still wet at night.
Been to GP many times, has been prescribed 'imipramine' which works, so he has one before a sleepover-but would rather him not take them!
GP suggested 'bladder training'-but the child must be willing to do it. Basically push fluids all day and when he needs a wee, stop him and make him hold it. This helps the bladder to expand in size and therefore hold more at night. I usually make him say his times tables etc before he has a wee lol. Try not to give fluids after 5 0r 6.
Lisa x

Rubybubbles
19-06-2008, 12:40 PM
:( bumping!

My ds has been not in pull ups for best part 3 months now (his choice) but I am washing bedding almost everyday:( I'm starting to get really tired doing it.

He has last drink at 6pm, and goes to bed between 7.30/8pm, I lift him before I go to bed around 10/11 and then dd wakes up around 2pm for the loo (she's been out of nappies at bed for ages:D asked at 2 yrs) so after I've helped her, I've started to lift ds again but he is still waking up wet

Phoned to school nurse who isn't avaible until next week, I'm finding it really hard as ds doesn't want to wear pullups but says he can;t wake himself up, going to have a look at these alarm thingy's mentioned xx

chubbymummy
19-06-2008, 12:59 PM
how old is your son rubbybubbles?

Rubybubbles
19-06-2008, 01:10 PM
how old is your son rubbybubbles?

he was 6 in March

venus89
19-06-2008, 06:32 PM
My son is 5 1/2 and still uses pullups at night time, whcih are wet every morning. Like the others, he wets himself in his sleep and doesn't even notice. And we did lifting, which did give us dry pullups but as soon as we stopped then he went back to it. I'm just so glad he's not alone in this - it's a hard subject to broach in the playground!

My daughter was clean and dry day and night before she was 2.....

Rubybubbles
19-06-2008, 07:49 PM
My son is 5 1/2 and still uses pullups at night time, whcih are wet every morning. Like the others, he wets himself in his sleep and doesn't even notice. And we did lifting, which did give us dry pullups but as soon as we stopped then he went back to it. I'm just so glad he's not alone in this - it's a hard subject to broach in the playground!

My daughter was clean and dry day and night before she was 2.....

I think this is why I'm finding it hard! because dd done it in a snap!

ChocolateChip
19-06-2008, 08:21 PM
I really wouldn't worry about it!
Lots of good advice on here, as usual, but they will do it when they're ready.
My son and daughter were still in pull-ups until 7 and 5, partly my fault as I had a baby that summer and couldn't face the thought of the extra washing!
But we tried before and it hadn't worked, so I just carried on with pull-ups until they said they wanted to try without, only had about 3 or 4 wet nights.
Apparently my brother (would kill me if he saw this!) was 12 before he stopped, no apparent reason, just the way he was! I also have sevaral friends who children still wet, one is nearly 10, so it must be a fairly common thing.

venus89
20-06-2008, 10:12 AM
I feel the same... But dh and I talked and talked and came to the conclusion that he really is asleep when he does it. He's so proud if he does have a dry pullup. I guess it's just time but I will be so glad when he moves on.....

Rubybubbles
23-07-2008, 07:57 AM
well:clapping:

bumping to tell you we have cracked it yeah!!! I stopped lifting him if dd woke up, and we sat down and had a really good chat with the school nurse (after she got back to me) and something must of clicked with him.

I am still lifting him at 10/11pm:o I am not sure when not to tbh, but he is waking about 7:30 am and going straight to the toilet. I haven't had to wash his bedding for weeks (from wet btw I do wash his stuff lol lucys post pops into mind:panic: )

proud mummy am so chuffed for him, after 14 nights in a row he got an remote conrol darlik:laughing:

louise
23-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Just want to say thank you for this thread. A lot of my ds friends are dry at night but i cant see our son being ready for ages. We have never had a dry nappy. He will still sometimes poo in it. He still has accidents during the day. Today he had one before 9.30. He is just too lazy too move. I feel like im forever going do you need the toilet as mindee is training. Im not sure if i should mention it to hv as it can still be several times a week and he starts school in sept.

Lou

venus89
24-07-2008, 06:28 PM
well:clapping:

bumping to tell you we have cracked it yeah!!! I stopped lifting him if dd woke up, and we sat down and had a really good chat with the school nurse (after she got back to me) and something must of clicked with him.

I am still lifting him at 10/11pm:o I am not sure when not to tbh, but he is waking about 7:30 am and going straight to the toilet. I haven't had to wash his bedding for weeks (from wet btw I do wash his stuff lol lucys post pops into mind:panic: )

proud mummy am so chuffed for him, after 14 nights in a row he got an remote conrol darlik:laughing:

Well done to him!! Hope he likes his darlek :D

ChocolateChip
25-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Glad to hear the good news! :clapping: