PDA

View Full Version : Please help..I really have hit a brick wall!!

Helpinghands
13-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi

Sorry I have posted a thread similar to this but I am still stuck.

In a nut shell....

I look after an 8 yr old boy for 4 hours a day and can't find anything to keep him occupied.

I have loads of ideas and have offered loads of activities to him but he's not interested.

All he wants to do is watch/play/write about wrestling and I can't stear him away from this.

Things I have tried...

Football
Painting
Park and Library
Growing Cress
Cooking
Lego
Half hr TV a day
Wordsearches and work sheets
Cars
Reading
Playdough

He just isn't interested and I don't want him to be bored :(

Blaze
13-10-2008, 06:28 PM
If that's what he's into then go with it ...he won't be bored...you might be though!:rolleyes: Just have other things on offer so if he wants to join in or play with/at something else he can.:)

flis21
13-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi,

This is probably a phase, all children go through a time of being obsessed with one thing, it will pass and move on to something else eventually. How long have you been looking after him?

In the meantime I would suggest starting from what he is interested in. So do him a wordsearch with wrestling words in. When going to the library find books about wrestling etc. You could research the rules / history of wrestling etc. You might find an activity that sparks off an interest in something else.

Good luck and have fun (hope you like wrestling!!)

Felicity xx

Helpinghands
13-10-2008, 06:35 PM
I allow it for short times everyday, however he has behavioural problems and demonstrates the wrestling on my younger mindees (and dog!)

I forget he's 8 and keep thinking he's under 5!!! lol

Blaze
13-10-2008, 06:38 PM
:eek: Well obviously you can't allow that!:eek: sounds like your doing fine though...might be worth recording the messages the wrestling stars do about not trying the moves at home/school .& playing it for him as a reminder...:)

Helpinghands
13-10-2008, 06:44 PM
oh thats a good idea! Thanks :thumbsup:

Blaze
13-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Just thought it might hit home |(no pun intended) coming from them IYSWIM!:)

Hebs
13-10-2008, 07:17 PM
My son is 8 (and has ADHD so understand the dog thing lol )

he loves

Lego
K'Nex
Machano (spl??) the construction sets :laughing:
Magnetics (watch the little ones tho)
computer games
anything arty,

and...... loves to help the little ones so maybe you could ask him to be your helper?? :thumbsup: a little bit of responsibility makes them feel so good :laughing:

sarah707
13-10-2008, 07:37 PM
If all else fails, leave him be if he is happy.

You can try too hard... :(

Helpinghands
13-10-2008, 07:43 PM
My son is 8 (and has ADHD so understand the dog thing lol )

he loves

Lego
K'Nex
Machano (spl??) the construction sets :laughing:
Magnetics (watch the little ones tho)
computer games
anything arty,

and...... loves to help the little ones so maybe you could ask him to be your helper?? :thumbsup: a little bit of responsibility makes them feel so good :laughing:

Hi, thanks. I was thinking along those lines. I do like the magnetix, especially the larger ones, but they are quite pricey! Might give mechano a go though,, cheers

Helpinghands
13-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi,

This is probably a phase, all children go through a time of being obsessed with one thing, it will pass and move on to something else eventually. How long have you been looking after him?

In the meantime I would suggest starting from what he is interested in. So do him a wordsearch with wrestling words in. When going to the library find books about wrestling etc. You could research the rules / history of wrestling etc. You might find an activity that sparks off an interest in something else.

Good luck and have fun (hope you like wrestling!!)

Felicity xx

Hi, Iv had him for 7 weeks while he is intergrated back into school after being excluded. He does ask me a lot "What are we going to do today" and I can't help have the feeling he's bored. I'm quite at the mo (business wise), maybe thats why...it's a bit quite in my house x

tinkerbelle
13-10-2008, 08:18 PM
get a wrestling ring and some figures he will have a whale of a time my kids do along with mindees
iv got 2 mindees who are bsessed with wrestling luckily i was many years ago back when it was hulk hogan lol they love to play figure wrestling weve also used action men and barbies for variation

ChocolateChip
13-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Does he like art and craft? Would he make his own wrestling ring from junk modelling, papier mache or somesuch, or draw pictures of it.
This may sound a daft question but is he allowed out and about while he's not at school, if so could he burn some energy off in the park/woods etc, pretending to train like Rocky (sorry , know he's a boxer but don't know anything about wrestling :o ), or you can get blow-up punchbags like giant weebles that he could wrestle in the garden.
Hope this helps, otherwise just let him get on with it and have other stuff to do if he wants to, if he's that bored he'll join in!:D

tulip0803
13-10-2008, 09:26 PM
I think the others are right about going with the flow and finding things to do along these lines. I love the idea of recording the professional wrestlers advice:)

It is a phase at this age my son was obsessed with Pokemon and he used to try Pokemon "moves" on his 3 year old sister:eek: (Punch,kick, slap etc etc). All he would draw were pictures of different Pokemon

acorns
13-10-2008, 09:44 PM
My sons also 8 and he is into:

Transformers, Lego, k'nex, drawing (try all the wrestling characters), activity books (sure I've seen some wwf ones around), trading cards, reading, action man, playmobil, magnetix (be careful even some older ones will put the bits in their mouths!), meccano. I have tried the computer but even tame games make his behaviour worse so I dont allow that now. Ebay & net mums are good for getting some stuff cheaply

Helpinghands
13-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Does he like art and craft? Would he make his own wrestling ring from junk modelling, papier mache or somesuch, or draw pictures of it.
This may sound a daft question but is he allowed out and about while he's not at school, if so could he burn some energy off in the park/woods etc, pretending to train like Rocky (sorry , know he's a boxer but don't know anything about wrestling :o ), or you can get blow-up punchbags like giant weebles that he could wrestle in the garden.
Hope this helps, otherwise just let him get on with it and have other stuff to do if he wants to, if he's that bored he'll join in!:D

Yes I have tried to help him make his own wrestling ring but he has very low self esteem and doesn't think he is any good. I am trying not to encourage the wrestling here as I think it has a lot to fo with his behaviour. (Am I mean too mean then??)

I like the idea of blow up punch bags though! He does punch his peers :eek: so that will be a good way for him to let go a bit!

Helpinghands
13-10-2008, 10:47 PM
My sons also 8 and he is into:

Transformers, Lego, k'nex, drawing (try all the wrestling characters), activity books (sure I've seen some wwf ones around), trading cards, reading, action man, playmobil, magnetix (be careful even some older ones will put the bits in their mouths!), meccano. I have tried the computer but even tame games make his behaviour worse so I dont allow that now. Ebay & net mums are good for getting some stuff cheaply

Thankyou, lots of ideas here. Thinking about it we do do quite a lot! But it doesn't seem much when you are with him for 4 hours...which feels like 8!

Helpinghands
13-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Do excuse my spelling! It's late xx

angeldelight
14-10-2008, 06:36 AM
I know what you mean the 8 year old I mind is into high school musical and it does my head in I hate it haha prob cause he drums it into me every day haha

I allow him to watch it once he has had a go at doing other things with me - there is only so much of high school musical I can take haha

Angel xxx

Hebs
14-10-2008, 09:38 AM
ah but high school musical is better than camp rock :thumbsup: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: