PDA

View Full Version : Do any of your mindees call you mum?

Mollymop
13-10-2008, 04:21 PM
You may remember my other thread about TA and my mindee with Down's Syndrome. Well today when I collected the TA said to E "who's this?" pointing at me to E, E didn't say anything and I was thinking what is this all about?

The the TA said E saw me coming and was shouting "mum" and waving.

E lately has been calling me Mum I have noticed.

It is really sweet, but confusing for little one, maybe I am a second mum to her, so she calls both me and her mother Mum. It is not a mistake like with other children she seems to mean it. She knows my name but she never calls me it anymore. So I have to keep correcting her.

Do any of your mindees call you Mum.

Andrea08
13-10-2008, 04:25 PM
mmmmm yes when very little but then when older by my name unless by mistake.
unless the real mum is upset id let it slide for a bit, and correct her as a game.
not sure what else to say sorry hope some1 else has better advice ok

Heaven Scent
13-10-2008, 04:35 PM
A lot of mine do but thats because it was started by R when she & M started but now its become Muma Celine and thats what they all call me once they get to know me so its quite sweet really and M who is almost 2 calls me Mama and has dropped the Celine part and calls his mum Grace - I don't know how she feels about that though. I don't think I'd have liked it - DD now 11 always called her minder by her name and me Mum where as DS now almost 13 never had a minder as I was minding from when Hazel was born for about 18 mths called me Mammy until quite recently - I don't know where she got mum from - it certainly wasn't from imitating her big brother as I've always been mammy in our family its what I called my mum when I was younger and my husbands mum was from the NE and he called her mammy too when he was young. My DD always has to be years ahead of herself and always tries to shock by being cheeky or dressing outlandishly and thats at when she has just turned 11 can't imagine what she'll be like when she is a real teenager in high school.:eek:

ajs
13-10-2008, 04:40 PM
my 14month old calls me mummy but i always say that i'm mandy now she can say mandy i always laugh when she calls me mummy and she laughs as if she knows she's wrong then corrects herself
she's so gorgeous and so little but so bright she definately knows what she's saying

Nicki L
13-10-2008, 04:52 PM
My 18 month old calls me mum - i correct him but he cant say my name yet. It doesnt help that i have a 2.5 year old of my own and of course she calls me mum so my mindee follows!!! although my dd has taken to calling me mum mum nicki

SimplyLucy
13-10-2008, 04:53 PM
I've not been called mum but my mindees call my sister "Auntie Katie" and my mum "Nanny"

The mindees mum's have never mentioned it and seem to quite like the fact that their children have adopted an extra Auntie and Nanny. In fact one of them hasn't got any grandparents so their mum and dad love the idea that my mum (she is my assistant) has lots of contact with their child.

Tatia
13-10-2008, 04:59 PM
No but one of my mindees calls my husband Daddy. She's 8 and has a learning disability. We love her to bits and have stopped trying to correct her because it doesn't seem to matter how often we try.:laughing: She's a little love and so sweet natured and affectionate. There's no dad at home and she is just copying my DD. I think she thinks it's his name! Her mother is fine with it, too so we figure just let it go.

Twinkles
13-10-2008, 05:00 PM
My mum is 'Nana' to all the minded children. The mindee's only call me mummy by mistake. Or 'Mrsxxxx' their teachers name.

crazybones
13-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Mine might do but Anne-Marie can sound a bit like Mummy from a 14 mth old but William always calls the parents Mum and Dad as we are waving them off at the end of the day. I have packed a case and offered him to them but so far he is still here. :rolleyes:

marian
13-10-2008, 05:23 PM
I have an 18mth old who calls me mum at the moment but I think it's because she can't say my name!
She calls her mum ' mum ,as well though!

I used to look after a 3yr old who used to call me mum except when his own mum was there and then he would call me marian.

Marian x

CCJD
13-10-2008, 05:27 PM
I have been called mummy in the past by mindees (it happened more when my own children where still young and at home all day). To be honest I think that the word mummy wasnt so much a title but a name. The mindees heard my own children call me mummy so they assumed it was part and parcel of my name.
I happily corrected them, didnt make a big thing of it and didnt read too much into it either. If the parents heard it explained the same to them. They all grew out of it once their language skills and understanding that being mummy was not just a name.

I think that the move away from this was closely linked with the child's development and therefore you may find with a child who has learning difficulties it takes a little longer.

Blaze
13-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I have been called mummy in the past by mindees (it happened more when my own children where still young and at home all day). To be honest I think that the word mummy wasnt so much a title but a name. The mindees heard my own children call me mummy so they assumed it was part and parcel of my name.
I happily corrected them, didnt make a big thing of it and didnt read too much into it either. If the parents heard it explained the same to them. They all grew out of it once their language skills and understanding that being mummy was not just a name.

I think that the move away from this was closely linked with the child's development and therefore you may find with a child who has learning difficulties it takes a little longer.

I agree...I've also found that my own LO on occassion has called me by my first name like my mindees do! I have in the past extended it to Mummy & then my first name if the LO in question is persistant in not using my first name...that way there is a clear differention between mummy & me! IYSWIM:)

berkschick
13-10-2008, 07:00 PM
G calls me Mum. Her parents think it is great as it shows that she thinks of me highly ;) and sees me as a mother figure which is what they were looking for.

I calls me Mum. Her Mum was a little upset at first but she now calls her Mum Mummy and me Mum so she knows there is a difference.

I do always correct them though and say "Im Debbie"

But it must be because they always hear Ella calling me Mum or Mummy.

sarahstanbridge
13-10-2008, 07:57 PM
one mindie i had used to call me mum but her mum was always mummy. i think that as my own children call me mum sometimes it rubs off. i have 2 x 2.5 year olds at the moment, they know i am sarah but will sometimes still call me mum.

tinkerbelle
13-10-2008, 08:11 PM
i normally get called miss by the school aged kids \9by mistake) normally its auntie this is encouraged by their parents they also call my assistant auntie

madasahatter
13-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I've rarely been called mum since my son went to school. What I'm finding amusing at the moment is one of my little ones has just started preschool. Whereas all the other new starters ask for mum or mummy if they're a bit upset my LO says "I want my Sue", she's so used to her parents leaving her but not me.

ChocolateChip
13-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Like some of the others, I have 18mths and 2yr olds who call me mum, purely because I don't think they understand yet, and hear my own dd call me mum. I try to get them to say my name but I think they think it's a game and just laugh!
No-one is bothered by it and I'm sure it will change as they get older.
My own older kids quite often call me 'miss' or :angry: 'nanny' in their rush to tell me something!

shell
14-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi

I have looked after a little boy since he was 5 months old. He calls me mummy and his mum doesnt mind at all. When mum comes to collect him he then calls me mum and her mummy. She's said to me your are his second mum. He sometimes calls my husband daddy. All of mindees call my mum nanna and my sister auntie, my sister whos a childminder too her mindees call me auntie shell!

Shell x

samd35
14-10-2008, 09:07 AM
I have a 16 month old that is calling me mummy. I always tell her its Sam. Well yesterday she called me Sam,only twice but its a start.

xx

gemhei
14-10-2008, 10:54 AM
When i worked in a nursery i got called mum on a daily basis but usually by mistake. I was quick to correct them as im not their mum and id feel a bit upset if my children called another woman mum. I dont tend to get it any more but one of my mindees cant talk and the other just calls me oi :rolleyes: . All id do is if she calls mum id turn round an say 'ok GEMMAS coming' it may take a while but she may go back to calling you your name soon enough she maybe confused or like you say think everyone special to her is called mum. Bless her.

Spangles
14-10-2008, 12:31 PM
I would definitely correct it by saying something lighthearted each time they said it.

I wouldn't leave it as I think no matter what a person's name is the child will find a way to say their own version of it and if my son had called his childminder 'mum' I would have been upset about it but that's just me.

I have a 12 month old at the moment and I've got a photo of her parents and we talk and point to the photo of her 'mummy' (and the other family members obviously) and we look in the mirror and point at me and I say my name.

I think it's hard for many mum's to leave their children with a carer while they go to work and it must be even worse if their child starts calling their carer 'mum' if you see what I mean.

Saying that though, lots of people wouldn't be worried about it and I can see what they are saying too.

mandy moo
14-10-2008, 01:08 PM
T is only 14 months and isnt talking yet, but if he wants something realy badly he will shout out mum mum:)
but the 4 1/2 yearo ld doesnt call me any thing, even when she wants something! however I once heard her call me mandy when she was talking to my youngest son, but only that once..