PDA

View Full Version : treasure baskets

devoncm
13-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Im thinking of doing some to be ready if i have enquiries for babies- what does everyone put in theres and about what age do they grow out of them?

LoobyLou
13-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Based only on experience with my son who is now 14mths and still enjoying his treasure basket. They are supposed to be based on natural materials which gets harder these days but you can find some stuff. The only thing I do now is modify it slightly every now and again to keep interest and also to remove things I wouldn't like him to throw now that he's learned how!
Add an orange or lemon sometimes
Different textured pieces of material
a natural sponge
some metal chain (like the bath plug chain avail from DIY shop)
wooden spoons
ribbons
some seagrass coasters (woolworths)
wooden balls on piece of string
a sponge scourer
some pebbles (not too small)
a small dish mop
a wooden nail brush
metal measuring spoons
wooden egg cups
some large keys
metal soap dish
solid glass tealight holder
wooden curtain rings
wooden lemon squeezer
sisal body scrub

melanieabigail2004
13-10-2008, 01:13 PM
I have in mine:-

squares of fabric, a basket (or several), containers, boxes with lids, cylindrical tubes, spoons, scourers, pegs, ribbons, bangles, beads, sock with soap inside, lavender bags, tin foil, sponges, pinecones, ball, bean bags, a CD, tea strainer, feathers

and anything else I think might be appropriate to the age of child

Mel

tulip0803
13-10-2008, 02:40 PM
I agree with the above. You could also make baskets with just things made out of one thing wood, metal, fabric. Traesure baskets can last until they are 2+ as they get different things out of it at different developmental stages. older children like little bags and pots to put the objects in

I Have a great book Developing play for the under 3s The treasure basket and heuristic play by Anita M Hughes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1843124297/ref=s9sdps_c5_14_at3-rfc_p-frt_g1-3102_p?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=021MNSPT3P3KVENM48PQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=222506291&pf_rd_i=468294

PaulaR
13-10-2008, 05:33 PM
thnak you for all those good ideas