PDA

View Full Version : chalk board

ldeacon
12-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I am in the process of becoming a childminder and sorting out the room i will be using. I have an idea to use chalkboard paint on the walls. As it is on the wall will this be ok for the children. I am only asking this question as i do not want ofsted to say that this is not ok as it is encouraging children to draw on walls!!

Pauline
12-10-2008, 03:21 PM
How about doing just a section of a wall? Or just up to a certain height? That way you would be able to explain to the children that this part of the wall is for chalking but not other parts, this would then show Ofsted that you explain to children what is right and wrong when it comes to chalking.

My daughter in law has done chalk areas in the playroom and has done them in squares, triangles, circles etc. at intervals around the room, it looks really nice :)

Chimps Childminding
12-10-2008, 03:51 PM
I think its a brilliant idea, and one I would definately use if I ever get a playroom (sob! sob!) I would also also do part of a wall with magnetic paint (does anyone know if that actually works?)

Children learn where they can draw (even the lo who drew on my new cream leather sofa with a biro last week :eek:) and where they can't so I don't think it is a problem!

miffy
12-10-2008, 03:54 PM
I agree with Pauline

Love the idea of doing different shapes :)

Miffy xx

Angela234
12-10-2008, 10:38 PM
I have a chalk board on the garden wall brought a large board and painted with blackboard magnetic paint (NOT VERY MAGNETIC! CAROLINE) and i put on 4 coats it does say several coats.

Angela

sarah32
13-10-2008, 07:07 AM
My husband made me a blackboard this weekend, bought home a bit of plywood and painted it with blackboard paint and then screwed it the wall out in the garden, came out really well, my kids loved it and doesnt clutter up the garden.

Twinkles
13-10-2008, 07:19 AM
When my own children were little we had a huge piece of hardboard screwed to the playromm wall and painted with blackboard paint. They loved it , I'm sure it saved my other walls from being drawn on.

ldeacon
13-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks for all your replies and ideas. I think i will definatley do it.

Andrea08
13-10-2008, 10:54 AM
As above all gr8 ideas how about putting a border around it too ?