PDA

View Full Version : Sensory baskets

Minnie mouse
12-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi, i just wondered what types of things people put in their sensory baskets. I have bottle with pasta, rice, coloured water with glitter (lids glued on) also a shower puff. What else?
Thanks

PixiePetal
12-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Old (clean!) sock with bar of fruity soap to smell.
jingle bells
pieces of furry fabric
smooth wooden object - egg, bowl

Not made one as yet but collecting ideas

Jen :)

Minnie mouse
12-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Great ideas thanks, might have to keep the sock and fruity soap away from my lo he will probably eat it lol. x

madasahatter
12-10-2008, 11:50 AM
a short silk scarf, a wooden spoon, wooden dolly pegs, a metal balloon whisk, a funky metal spoon, large shells, large pine cones, a knitted/crochetted square, a piece of loofah, a covered sponge that is velvetty one side and rough string on the other, a marble egg, some large pebbles from the beach (some with holes/ various shapes), muslin bags containing herbs/lavender/rose petals, a wooden massager thing, a small metal bowl, a small flat metal tray (makes a good mirror), some of those woven willow balls.

There are all sorts of thing that can go in, think senses. Make sure everything is too big to be swallowed and things like pine cones are clean and regularly inspected (like everytime they are brought out).

zoex
12-10-2008, 12:14 PM
i also got alsot of good stuff on ebay and hawkins bazar. (not sure if thats how ou spell it)
i got things like squezzy caterpilliars with funny legs, things that you squeeze and light flash, i got a tube that has glitter and stars in it, i also made some plastic bottles and put water glitter and food colour in them, i also have some plastic balls with diff textures on them. i also got a mesh ball which the little ones like. you squeeze it and funny bubbles are made, they like pushing them back in.

i got all the ideas from a course i went on for creativity in under 3's. they also had a shiny box, which was basicly lots of diff shape objects covered in tin foil, and shiny balls, mirrors, disco balls and so on.

hope some of that helps anyway.
:)

tulip0803
12-10-2008, 12:45 PM
coloured ribbons, velvet powder puff, washing-up brush, wooden egg cup, keys & keyring, piece of leather, wooden spoon,small pot & lid, wooden bowl, pom pom, plug & chain, marble egg, pastry brush, bottle brush, wooden car, tea strainer, hair roller, toothbrush, lavender bag, loofah, balloon whisk, jingle bells, suede purse, small plastic mirror in a fabric bag, foil blanket, shells, pumice stone, small furry toy, natural sponge, cork, small thick old style glass bottle, raffia drinks mat, wooden curtain ring, nutcracker, small rubber dog bone:laughing: (unused by dog!), pebbles

I got a great book called "Developing play for the under 3s The Treasure basket and Heuristic Play" by Anita M Hughes
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Developing-Play-Under-Threes-Heuristic/dp/1843124297/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223815419&sr=8-2

Don't have but have seen the little book of Treasure baskets Featherstone education which is good too
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Book-Treasure-Baskets-Books/dp/1904187056/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223815504&sr=8-1