PDA

View Full Version : child thats been in foster care

samgeordie
11-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Just wondering if any of you have cared for a child that had previously been in foster care and if there is and advice you have.

Ive had a grandma call me about caring for her grandson for a few hours a week. He is now living with them after being in foster care and having been mucked around in the past, i don't know anymore details about why he has been in care, what has happened to the parents etc.

She is needing care 2-3 mornings 9.30 then drop off at nursery 12.15, its the same nursery as my daughter but she has a morning place till 11.30. Ive said if she could change his place from afternoon to morning then I could help, otherwise it wouldn't work as id be picking up my daughter to then come home and go back up there 30mins later. She called me again before as no-one else can help so i said if she can swap to a morning then call me back.

Im a bit worried if this little boy will have "issues" having been in care and whether this could be too much for me as Ive only been minding 2 months and also need to consider my own daughter.(& my other 2 mindees). He could be a lovely little boy and it would be great to give him some normality and stability.

Any thoughts?

jellytot
11-10-2008, 02:39 PM
im really not good at giving advise but could you not do a couple of trial days to see how he is or just ask grandma straight as to whether he has any issues

sarah707
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
You will need to get together as much information as possible about his background and needs... as you would for any child you were taking on... then you can make a more informed decision.

Good luck with everything! :D