PDA

View Full Version : Craft ideas for next steps in obs

Sarahbelle
10-10-2008, 09:22 PM
My 3 year old I mind has just shown me that he knows which letter starts his name (although he doesn't know the name). His next steps obs is to identify his name as a whole and some of the sounds. Anyone got any good ideas for crafts, activites, games? Usually I'm good at this but my mind has gone blank:panic:

sarah707
11-10-2008, 07:06 AM
That's a bit of a big step tbh!

I would consolidate and make sure he knows his initial letter in books, on shop signs, in different types of fonts...

A few months of this plus reading and pointing out other initial sounds phoenetically will support him best :D

crazybones
11-10-2008, 07:10 AM
That's a bit of a big step tbh!

I would consolidate and make sure he knows his initial letter in books, on shop signs, in different types of fonts...

A few months of this plus reading and pointing out other initial sounds phoenetically will support him best :D

Unless his name is Will and he has to stop outside every house on the school run to point out the "W" on the water main's thing to turn off the water. :laughing: It can take a while to get anywhere.:rolleyes:

madasahatter
11-10-2008, 07:30 AM
I have a small photo of each child with their name on it over their towel in the bathroom and on their going home tray (not on the coat hooks as I have a low level one and a high level one and the coats on top obscure the low ones so you wouldn't be able to see their names). I have found that my little ones are able to recognise their name (without a picture, and from a selection of 4 or 5 names) from around 18 months and will pick out things like M for Maggy, D for Dominic (names changed :D ) from street signs on the school run by the time they are 2ish (depending on their interests of course).

Sarahbelle
11-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Oh dear, maybe Ive put too much on my obs sheet (got a bit carried away?) But he blew me away. I hadn't realised he could identify it! Now I'm worried that gone too far with the obs (it was only my second one!) Any suggestions how I should word it so that it doesn't seem like I'm expecting gigantic steps forward (which I'm not, but I do want to support him). I hope this makes sense. Feeling a bit stressed as I dont have any fellow cm to give me some idea if I'm doing the obs write! Help!

busylizzie
11-10-2008, 09:09 AM
I would just put look for his letter when out and about/in books etc.Play I spy using the initial letter of words instead of colours to encourage him to think about general letter sounds. Use labels with his name printed on them to start to help him regocnise his name as a whole.

You can print the labels of with different characters from freeresources for childminders.

Dont panic,I feel the same way too with the obs but well get the hang of it.I am trying to keep is simple till I feel a bit confident in what im doing:)

sarah707
11-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Obs - x recognised the initial letter of his name today! Wow!

Next steps - support x to spot the letter in other contexts eg making it out of playdough, seeing it on shop signs, in print etc.

Planning - make some playdough together and print and laminate a letter mat for x with his initial letter and other letters from his name in no particular order, so he can play at forming the shapes.

Hope he enjoys the game! :D

Sarahbelle
11-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys. Some really good info for me there and I will take it on board when doing my obs sheet next time. Small next steps not huge ones! :blush:

mjw
11-10-2008, 04:41 PM
How about printing the initial letter of his name on card and punching holes in it to make a sewing card

katieanna
11-10-2008, 07:48 PM
What do Ofsted want????????
My friend had her ofsted inspection 2 weeks ago and told the inspector that she points out the childs initial letter whenever she can for example on street signs or on the painted alphabet in the school playground, the ofsted inspector phoned her a couple of days later to say she thought that she was pushing the child too much (the child is nearly 3).

sarah707
11-10-2008, 08:49 PM
My friend had her ofsted inspection 2 weeks ago and told the inspector that she points out the childs initial letter whenever she can for example on street signs or on the painted alphabet in the school playground, the ofsted inspector phoned her a couple of days later to say she thought that she was pushing the child too much (the child is nearly 3).

:laughing: Oh for goodness sake! :rolleyes:

miffy
14-10-2008, 08:03 PM

There's just no pleasing some people! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx