PDA

View Full Version : HooHah

Pipsqueak
10-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Well after all the blooming hoohah that middle son age 8 doesn't need extra help at school regardless of him having a specific learning disability (he is dyslexic but they won't actually commit that to paper due to various reasons) - I have found a letter in his bag today saying that he is behind with his work and the school is taking "action" and he is to be placed on the SEN register.

Not sure if I am cross or not. I am really glad he is finally getting some extra help (we have been shelling out for a private tutor again for the last few weeks as I have been getting quite concerned) but surely they could have called me in to tell me this instead of sending a letter home. They promised me they would keep me updated - which they haven't done:(
I am cross that they have done this by letter and that they won't actually commit to him being dyslexic.

methinks a trip into school would be appropriate (again - think I am going to set up camp there)

Rubybubbles
10-10-2008, 12:05 PM
:mad: hope you manage to get it sorted out!

sarah707
10-10-2008, 12:55 PM
They have not done the right thing telling you by letter and not keeping you informed...

But at least they have acknowledged there is an issue and are putting something in place now.

I hope the support they are offering suits him xx

Mollymop
10-10-2008, 01:07 PM
I have had lots of problems like this regarding my son (9), he is on the SEN register but they never asked my permission, never even spoke to me about it until about 6 months after they had gone and done it, etc. I know how you feel. It is very frustrating and makes you feel unimportant.

Hebs
10-10-2008, 01:08 PM
i totally know how you must be feeling so firstly

HUGE hugs.

My son (also 8 ) has ADHD and dyslexia and he gets diddly squat from school in ways of support.
I paid for a private tutor (who was amazing) to help him and in 1 year my son went from barely being able to read to now having the reading age of a 9.4 year old :thumbsup:

it's disgracful that kids with this "hidden" disability get ignored yet ones with obvious disabilities get all the support they need

hope the support your son gets helps him xxx