PDA

View Full Version : Child who doesn't eat very much.

venus89
10-10-2008, 10:30 AM
I bumped into my mindee H's Mum yesterday in the supermarket - she'd just had the health visitor around as she was worried about him not being much of an eater. When he spend the day with me, for instance, he'll happily make do with a babybell and a couple of segments of clementine over a 8 hour period and he's much the same at home. The HV's advice was to offer him a big variety, to steer clear of junk food but if it's a little sugary don't worry too much, watch the milk intake, and not to worry too much as lots of kids go through a phase like that.
I would like to support Mum trying to encourage H (20 months) to eat more food. The range of foods he eats is fine, it's really just the quantity. This morning he came to me haing refused to eat any breakfast at all, and the poor kid was white as a sheet, and certainly a lot les active than he was when he first came to me.

Today we're busy - toy library this morning, and pirate doings for Bookstart day this afternoon - but next week I was thinking about some play with food. I remember one person was advocating custard play, for instance, and letting them taste it as they played with it. And I wondered if this kind of thing would be helpful to him?

Mum supplies his lunches - and does a really good job of it too - so I'd want her permission before I did anything like that. Do any of you have any experience of a child who doesn't eat?

HFC
10-10-2008, 10:36 AM
The first thing I would say is to advise mum to have a trip to the doctor. If the wee one is not eating and is pale and less active it could be more than a poor appetite.

If mum gets the all clear I think you custard play sounds brill! Finger food left lying about for him to inspect and taste as he wants without pressure might help, making funny faces with the food, pasta shapes etc.

venus89
10-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Thank you - with no experience of this (my kids would never stop eating if I let them) then I am worried about making things worse, although I've watched food phobia style programmes on the TV. With only 2 days a week - and 2 meals a week, plus snacks - then there's a limited amount I can do at mealtimes - and only one of those is shared with another child every fortnight. But if playing with food and making it fun that way will encourage him to eat then I'm all for it!

Hebs
10-10-2008, 10:43 AM
My son is still like this and he's 8!

he has days where he eats very very little but other days where he'll eat non stop. I think a trip the dr's might be needed to rule anything out otherwise some kids can be like this even past the fussy baby stage

xxx:thumbsup:

HFC
10-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Thank you - with no experience of this (my kids would never stop eating if I let them) then I am worried about making things worse, although I've watched food phobia style programmes on the TV. With only 2 days a week - and 2 meals a week, plus snacks - then there's a limited amount I can do at mealtimes - and only one of those is shared with another child every fortnight. But if playing with food and making it fun that way will encourage him to eat then I'm all for it!

A few years ago I had a friend who minded a wee boy who only ever ate sausuages and yoghurts! Never did anything else pass this childs lips. I've often wondered how he is now as he must be about 12.

Like you say make it fun, dont let him see frustration and he'll probably come round. Those Heinz pasta shapes are good if he has a favourite character - Thomas or Bob or Dora! messy play with that would be a hoot!

venus89
10-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Like you say make it fun, dont let him see frustration and he'll probably come round. Those Heinz pasta shapes are good if he has a favourite character - Thomas or Bob or Dora! messy play with that would be a hoot!

Oh I like that idea! Do I have to let the children play with it too?

HFC
10-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Oh I like that idea! Do I have to let the children play with it too?

:laughing:

LOOPYLISA
10-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi my stepson doesnt eat much, when he comes to us every other weekend he may eat whetabix for brekki but then just wants to snack on junk(this is wat he does at home:angry: ), we try and get him to sit and eat a "propper" meal with us but refuses, he will only drink water and milk which is good but i would like him to just "try" different foods and drinks, we don.t give into him but then when he goes round his mates next door they will sneek a packet of buiscuits while they are there, he is your typical 14yr old but is so skinny and pale and drawn, but mum doesnt bother and our help falls on deaf ears, sorry went off track a bit there! x

venus89
10-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi my stepson doesnt eat much, when he comes to us every other weekend he may eat whetabix for brekki but then just wants to snack on junk(this is wat he does at home:angry: ), we try and get him to sit and eat a "propper" meal with us but refuses, he will only drink water and milk which is good but i would like him to just "try" different foods and drinks, we don.t give into him but then when he goes round his mates next door they will sneek a packet of buiscuits while they are there, he is your typical 14yr old but is so skinny and pale and drawn, but mum doesnt bother and our help falls on deaf ears, sorry went off track a bit there! x

Trust me, I know how you feel - my stepdaughters' mum makes my blood boil at times with some of the things she does!
Oh, I really hope H will get over it before he's 14.... :( Do you know if your stepson was like that when he was little?

tinkerbelle
10-10-2008, 11:18 AM
my oldest went through this stage he ate everything in site until his brother turned one (theres only 10 months between them) he suddenly stopped and would only eat sausage or ham sandwiches we couldnt even get him to eat mash
when he turned 5 he started trying new foods (with a bit of bribary thrown in) its only really been the last year that his diet has improved and we can now get him to eat 4 different veg and only red apples no other fruit and hes ten on tuesday.

venus89
10-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Oh that must be hard to deal with Tinkerbelle.... We're luck with H that he does eat fruit, cheese etc. It's not the range with him, it's the quantity - so this morning he ate more than I've ever known him to - grapes, strawberries and raspberries. Just sausages seems to be a favourite - I seem to rememeber my rother going through that when he was young. Bizarre

HFC
10-10-2008, 12:18 PM
my oldest went through this stage he ate everything in site until his brother turned one (theres only 10 months between them) he suddenly stopped and would only eat sausage or ham sandwiches we couldnt even get him to eat mash
when he turned 5 he started trying new foods (with a bit of bribary thrown in) its only really been the last year that his diet has improved and we can now get him to eat 4 different veg and only red apples no other fruit and hes ten on tuesday.

4 different veg!!! Your a star! My kids eat about 4 different veg between the 4 of them, it drives me mad. They will eat most fruit though.

LOOPYLISA
10-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Trust me, I know how you feel - my stepdaughters' mum makes my blood boil at times with some of the things she does!
Oh, I really hope H will get over it before he's 14.... :( Do you know if your stepson was like that when he was little?

No, although mum used to feed him junk then, lots of micro meals:eek: , cheese on toast for xmas dinner!, its unbealivable x

Pauline
10-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Had a similar problem once.

Many people try to give them too much and they see the plate full as very daunting and won't eat.

Try giving very small portions and slowly building up. Did you know that children should have approx a 1 tablespoon sized portion of each food per year of their age, at a meal?

If all medical reasons have been checked, then the best thing to do is not make any fuss, put the plate down, if they don't eat it take it away without any comment. No bribes, no promises or anything and certainly no alternatives. Don't feel guilty, they won't starve!

We did this and so did mum at home, we worked really closely together to ensure that the same routine was in place here and at home, it took just a few months before the little one was eating fairly normally. He will never have a big appetite but he is thriving.

Hope that helps. :)