PDA

View Full Version : £100 laptops

chels55
10-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Has anyone got one of the Elonex £100 pound laptops? im considering buying one for the mindees it sound really good and has an educational package built in. just wondering how easy they are at setting up with the broadband ect

angeldelight
10-10-2008, 09:32 AM
I havent but I have heard they are good

Angel xx

sarah707
10-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I've just had a quick look... I always look for what isn't there first... so...

It's basic - only 128 ram and 1gb memory so it's not all singing all dancing....

Doesn't mention Microsoft windows which would cost over £100 if you wanted it...

Doesn't mention word processing software either...

But it will connect through wireless which is good and it seems very child friendly with the washable keyboard and 4 hour battery...

It's also quite small - look at the pic of the child holding one ... and it's light compared with a lot of laptops.

I think it's a fair price for what you are getting, just be aware of the potential extra costs :D

Pedagog
10-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Have read lots of bad things about them, and apparently their customer service is diabolical so if you do have problems they will not help you.

Mrs.L.C
10-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I've just had a quick look... I always look for what isn't there first... so...

It's basic - only 128 ram and 1gb memory so it's not all singing all dancing....

Doesn't mention Microsoft windows which would cost over £100 if you wanted it...

Doesn't mention word processing software either...

But it will connect through wireless which is good and it seems very child friendly with the washable keyboard and 4 hour battery...

It's also quite small - look at the pic of the child holding one ... and it's light compared with a lot of laptops.

I think it's a fair price for what you are getting, just be aware of the potential extra costs :D

Agreeing with this although you can get open office for free which is very similar to microsoft word etc

Iv recently brought a laptop 2nd hand from ebay for £140 incl postage and good spec, ex cond so also another option

sarah707
10-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Agreeing with this although you can get open office for free which is very similar to microsoft word etc

True! But would openoffice run on this kind of spec?

I'm not sure as it's a very memory intensive programme...

I suppose if you just loaded the wordprocessing bit it might be ok...

Mrs.L.C
10-10-2008, 01:00 PM
To be honest, I think any application is going to be slow on it and I dont think they run on windows either