PDA

View Full Version : A day in the life of a childminder

DudleyChildmind
10-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi

If you were asked to talk about a day in the life of a childminder what kind of things would you talk about? Would you show some of the children's work etc? How would you make it as interesting as possible for the group you are talking to? :)

Annie_T
10-10-2008, 08:45 AM
id show soem childrens work yea,

dont think it be much different to your daily scedule (is that what they are called)

make it more exciting....somehow

sarah707
10-10-2008, 08:57 AM
It's 7am and I'm crawling round the floor looking for anything the baby might pick up and choke on... this used to frighten my family but they are used to me now.

I'm sure it gets harder to struggle to my feet every morning but there's a cleaning schedule to check through, fridge temperatures to write down and a safety checklist to finish... then I might get a cup of tea before John arrives at 730.

Yesterday he was cross... mummy said he hadn't slept well because a new tooth was bothering him. I think she forgot to mention the exploding pooey nappies and the tendency he's suddenly developed to hit out at everything in sight... or maybe he was saving those new delights specially for me.

Ah well, at least I was able to write up some paperwork to satisfy Ofsted... so that's one incident form for the bath I had to give him and one observation of a new hitting schema I can file later.

Hopefully he'll be a little brighter today as I have planned to take him and the other mindee, aged 3, to the local toddler group.

Something like that? :D

nannysue
10-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Sounds just like another normal fun day in Childminder World !!:laughing: Sue x

Pipsqueak
10-10-2008, 11:03 AM
It's 7am and I'm crawling round the floor looking for anything the baby might pick up and choke on... this used to frighten my family but they are used to me now.

I'm sure it gets harder to struggle to my feet every morning but there's a cleaning schedule to check through, fridge temperatures to write down and a safety checklist to finish... then I might get a cup of tea before John arrives at 730.

Yesterday he was cross... mummy said he hadn't slept well because a new tooth was bothering him. I think she forgot to mention the exploding pooey nappies and the tendency he's suddenly developed to hit out at everything in sight... or maybe he was saving those new delights specially for me.

Ah well, at least I was able to write up some paperwork to satisfy Ofsted... so that's one incident form for the bath I had to give him and one observation of a new hitting schema I can file later.

Hopefully he'll be a little brighter today as I have planned to take him and the other mindee, aged 3, to the local toddler group.

Something like that? :D

You make it sound so funny Sarah!!! Love it - perhaps we should all do a little blog - one each from a different person each day! We could file it altogther and then publish The Childminders Memoirs

Pauline
10-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Would you show some of the children's work etc? How would you make it as interesting as possible for the group you are talking to? :)

I'd tell them about the nappy that baby filled yesterday. Up the back, up the front, down the legs!

pack of baby wipes later and new clothes for me and her! we were sorted :laughing:

ajs
10-10-2008, 03:26 PM
come on ladies let's tell the truth here ok this is my day

wake up 6.45 shower, dress in tattiest clothes that probably already have paint, snot, wee or worse on them
come down stairs put the kettle on log on to the forum 8 ish first kids arrive do paperwork involved with that and check new posts
sort breakfast
check new posts
do school run (although i don't so i check the forum again)back from school run check new posts
activity
check new posts
kettle on for next cup of tea
and check new posts

i could go on but i suspect you know where i am coming from

Pipsqueak
10-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Gosh mandy you do get a lot of post don't you!!! :laughing: :laughing:

but yes I will agree - something like that:laughing: :laughing:

Mrs.L.C
10-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Oh dont forget the sitting in front of the telly :laughing:

Id talk about your routine the paper work involved, the importance of tots grps/sup grps so the children can mix with other children and so we dont go mad etc

donnahay0
10-10-2008, 04:07 PM
In my house at the moment a typical day involves the bathroom. New mindee is potty training (he is 3) and we are not getting on very well. Ask him if he needs to go to the toilet, he says no, I say it's time to have a try anyway, I put him on loo (won't use potty) and he doesn't go, get downstairs again and he does it in his pants. Off we go to get him changed and the cyle starts again.

Oh I forgot to mention all the handwashing.

Didn't mention the school run ..... 3.00pm arrives and it starts to rain. Do school run - get wet - get home ..... it stops raining.

and all day i keep on smiling ..... :D

Minstrel
10-10-2008, 04:23 PM
All this water- do you think we'll have to have a lifeguard cert soon too??!

donnahay0
10-10-2008, 04:27 PM
All this water- do you think we'll have to have a lifeguard cert soon too??!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Shhhh - don't put ideas into their heads

DudleyChildmind
10-10-2008, 05:42 PM
There are some great suggestion here, thank you :laughing:

Can anyone think of a fun/easy activity for adults to do please? I thought it would be good for them to get involved too.

Tatia
11-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Make some gloop (cornflour and water) or gelli baff in small trays and then chuck some plastic insects or spoons and jugs in it and let the adults explore.

Then set them at tiny tables and pass around a platter of bite-sized fruit, a plain biscuit and some juice!:laughing:

Are you giving a talk or demonstration somewhere?

DudleyChildmind
11-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Yes, I have been asked to do a talk at our local centre but as I don't like standing up and talking to a group I thought I could give them some activities to do so I spend less time talking :blush: :laughing:

Rubybubbles
11-10-2008, 05:08 PM
put a sand tray out, coloured rice ect!! My friend always used to sit and play with it when out lol

miffy
11-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Yes, I have been asked to do a talk at our local centre but as I don't like standing up and talking to a group I thought I could give them some activities to do so I spend less time talking :blush: :laughing:

I think that's a very good idea. How did you get roped into doing a talk :panic:

Miffy xx

DudleyChildmind
13-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the tips :)

I was just asked if I would consider doing a talk or if I knew of another Childminder that would be willing to do it. I wasn't very keen because I don't like standing up and talking but I agreed to do it in the end.