PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and inspections

Aussiegirl1
10-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Hi everyone,
This is the first time i have asked a question on here and hope i have put it in the right section.
I am getting a lovely golden lab from the a rescue home and was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on what the inspectors look for during a visit or if there is anything i should be doing that isnt obvious with regards to having a dog while child minding. I was due my inspection on 10th sept and havent heard from them yet so really worried.
Please help if you can.
Ann

Hebs
10-10-2008, 07:37 AM
hiya

i have 2 dogs, so replies to this will help me too.

i guess it's a case of showing them where the dog will go toilet and how you'll make sure any mess is cleaned up, and do you have somewhere to put the dog so they can have a break from the kids etc

:thumbsup: good luck xx

louised
10-10-2008, 08:51 AM
The things you need to do are pretty obviuos so you've probably thought of them already. Let the inspector know that the dog is never left unsupervised with the children. I have a dog and 2 cats and I have a record for each with the dates when they were last vaccinated, and had their worm and flea treatments. I also have a pet policy which states things like, checking the garden before the children go out there (just in case) although my dog rarely goes to the toilet in my garden, and making sure children wash their hands after handling pets. Hope this helps

HFC
10-10-2008, 09:52 AM
I have a pet policy which states that the pets are fed in the kitchen away from the children and the dishes are washed seperately in the sink and cleared away. The litter tray is in the bathroom upstairs so away from the kids and any pet messed is cleaned immediately and the area sanitised with milton spray. I have a downstairs loo the children use. My policy also states that the animals are wormed regulary, checked for fleas and have their annual innoculations.

I have a question in both my parents and childrens questionairres asking if they find the pets friendly and I also have photographs of the children playing with/cuddling the animals in my scrapbook.

My dog is kept away from the inspectors as he is very bouncy with adults and jumps all over them but doesn't do it to the children but once they see the photos the inspectors are fine.

Aussiegirl1
10-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Thank you very much for all your comments. I will do my pet policy this weekend and take lots of pics next week.

We are all very excited about having a dog around, except for 2 mindees (from the same family) who have never been near dogs, so hope this works out well.

It probably isnt the best time to get a dog, what with the inspection coming up ( im on tender hooks all the time waiting for the phone call), but myself and my dd and ds have waited quiet a while for the right one. and now she has come along we dont want to lose her.

Thanks again.
Ann

DudleyChildmind
10-10-2008, 10:56 AM
I have a German Shepherd and my mindees helped raise a litter of pups. The children used to come early in the morning to help wean them and they even came on days that I wasn't due to look after them. I think pets are great for the children as long as you take the necessary steps to make sure they are safe :)

Hebs
10-10-2008, 01:00 PM
pets are also great for teaching children how to be kind even if they arn't with other kids ;)

most children will show their nuturing side to animals :laughing: