PDA

View Full Version : What shall i charge?

Wendy Woo
09-10-2008, 02:07 PM
I may have a baby who would start next april and i was wondering if this is when i take a retainer/deposit and how much do i charge??

Do i take one?

How much?

And do i use it towards the 1st months fee, give it back at end!!! or just keep it for holding place open for them?

I have never done this b4 as my mindees all started straight away so far.

Thanx in advance x x

Silverrose
09-10-2008, 03:29 PM
if u are holding a place for the baby (not taking an one elses on in the babys place) then yes,
most charge half of what they normaly pay, and this is ur wage (all ur's)
u must rember u can't take money for the same places at the same time, and the baby mite not come to u, but u still get to keep the cash coz that is the deal.
hope this info helped, all the best :-)

berkschick
09-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Do you have the vacancy now?

If so, then I would charge a 50% retainer.

If not, then I would charge a months non refundable deposit which would then become the first months fees.

Wendy Woo
10-10-2008, 12:33 PM
I dont have vaccancy just yet but there will be one at the end of yr

Chatterbox Childcare
10-10-2008, 01:29 PM
You cannot take a retainer for a place that isn't available. I would take a non refundable deposit and then a retainer from January to starting date

loocyloo
10-10-2008, 08:58 PM
i wanted to charge a retainer of 50% for 9 hrs of a 27 hr space wanted next march. (and they could have used the hours (and topped up fees if wished!)the parents refused, said they 'didn't agree' !!! they understood i was holding a space for them, but they would be paying me xyz per year come march and they would pay a refundable deposit and that was that! * ( i had had their eldest child previously, and when he started, i was doing refundable deposits! )

* they were guaranteeing me work and were being penalised for being organised !!!

i wanted to tell them that was the deal or forget it, but i also knew that there were a few other minders locally who had/would have vacancy and wouldn't charge retainer ( and charge less than me ) so i gave in! not happy about it, and if something else comes along, i'll take the better offer! i so hope something else comes up!

arghh parents!

xxx

miffy
10-10-2008, 09:11 PM
If you don't have a vacancy you can't charge a retainer but you could ask for a deposit. This would be non-refundable if the parents failed to take up the place.

Miffy xx

Heaven Scent
12-10-2008, 12:28 AM
If I were you and was still looking after the other child then I would just charge a non refundable deposit and wouldn't return it come what may. If the other child has now left then charge a larger non refundable deposit again in place of a retainer and come what may I would not refund it. Tell them it due to changes in restrictions laid down by your insurance and NCMA that didn't apply when you took their older child on. Tell them it is as much to protect them as it is you. I wouldnt make it too big as if you have had a good experience with these parents in the past then it just might be worth it to keep the place open for them.