PDA

View Full Version : Sending a contageous child home

Mollymop
16-01-2008, 01:50 PM
At the nursery where I work, I was told by the owner/manager that you can't send a child home with head lice or conjuctivitus.
She said Ofsted said that once they are there you can't phone the parent's and ask that they be sent home.
She said that a little one at the nursery has got conjuctivitus and was bought in yesurday but she was annoyed as she couldn't send him home.
She also said the same of headlice.
It all seems a bit strange, seeing as though conjuctivitus is contageous and the parents could keep bring him back in.
Is it the same for us childminders?

LittleMissSparkles
16-01-2008, 02:04 PM
I seem to think thats right......

but personally I would send them home as children are always rubbin their eyes and it would spread quickly, may get shot down for saying that but at the end of the day I dont want to get it either

carolinel
16-01-2008, 02:10 PM
it is right, you cannot send a child home with these ailments. I think that has recently changed though as I remember a couple of years back having to fetch James from preschool as he had conjuctivitus. The guidelines now though state that no incubation period is necessary.

sarah707
16-01-2008, 02:15 PM
This is the latest guidance -

http://www.hpa.org.uk/infections/topics_az/schools/schools_guidelines_2006.pdf

I'm sure I read somewhere it's due for an update... can't find it now though!

I've never sent home for head lice but I do ask parents to please treat and keep girls' hair tied up.

Conjunctivitis is horrible and I would def ring parents if child was tearful, in pain, or unable to join in with normal activities... otherwise, I suppose it's out with the dettol spray! :D

Banana
17-01-2008, 09:46 PM
My policies stated that I will not care for a child with headlice - if they have been treated then thats fine - if they arrive with lice running around everywhere then they parents will be called and told to take them home and treat it - then they can come back.

Conjuctivitis is highly contagious and until the eye is not weeping I will not care for the child.

Sorry, OFSTED rules or not I dont want my child or any other mindees having lice or having gammy eyes.

If Isabelle had Conjuntivitis or headlice I as a parent wouldnt send her to preschool or a firends for a playdate so why should I be expected to have it my home??

Harsh maybe, but I think im perfectly entitled!

I also would call the parents and tell them I wasnt workimg if Isabelle had either of these things - I wouldnt want ot spreading to my mindees from my home either

x

Tily Bud
17-01-2008, 09:56 PM
I dont send home children with headlice, infact last weeek i detected that one of my mindees had them so i texted mum and asked if i could wet comb him she said yes please ! so i did and the problem was solved except for the fact that he screamed the place down as he hates his hair being washed !

For conjuctivitis i would contact parents and ask them to arrange for some drops for the child, but i wouldnt send home unless really oozing. Usually this is worse in the morning so the parent would have spotted it and if contacted i would ask the parent to sort out medication then bring the child as i would have no problem having them once they were being treated x

Schnakes
18-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Im with Banana on this one - I would send a child with conjunctivitis home. I dont want it, I dont want my kids to get it. And I dont care what Ofsted have to say about that, either. Parents send their kids to us in any rotten condition as it is...you've got to draw the line somewhere!!!

Sx

angeldelight
18-01-2008, 12:09 PM
I also do what Lana does

I think it is fair to expect them to treat their childs hair and bring them back -why should you and your family run the risk of getting the horrible little things

I also think they have a damn cheek bringing their children and like you say Lana we wouldnt do it with our own

I know at our local school and nursery if a child has headlice then they are allowed in school

if a child has conjunctivitis then they are not allowed into school unless it is being treated with drops from the doctor

I do not care what Ofsted say - in fact I would not even mention it to them they are my rules not theirs

Angel xx

Twinkles
18-01-2008, 01:12 PM
I too would send home for both of these.
Was anyone else's head itching while reading these posts?

miffy
18-01-2008, 01:24 PM
I agree with lana on this

My house, my decision - not Ofsted's.

I had a child last year with conjunctivitis and mum said school would accept him but I didn't - luckily she understood.

As it's spread so easily I really don't understand the ruling but I don't want it so I'm not taking the children!

yes, my head is itching and I wouldn't have a child with head lice until it had been treated

Miffy xx

Blaze
18-01-2008, 01:32 PM
As above...my house, my rules & I really don't care what OFSTED have to say about it!
Tasha:)

Tina Sahrp
18-01-2008, 01:33 PM
lol yes mine itched.....

I don’t take children that have conjunctivitis for 24 hours into treatment after that they are welcome back, I don’t take children that are on antibiotics either for the first 24 hours after that’s its my discretion to whether I feel they should come back, not sure if thats right or wrong but thats my policy

Tina :jump for joy:

miffy
18-01-2008, 01:33 PM
As above...my house, my rules & I really don't care OFSTED have to say about it!

Rebels aren't we????? :laughing:

Miffy xx

Blaze
18-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Yep!...TBH I don't mind following certain rules & regs...but there comes a point where I think OFSTED forget that these are our homes!:angry:

miffy
18-01-2008, 01:42 PM
I agree with you on that

Miffy xx

SARAHW26
18-01-2008, 01:47 PM
hi all

I agree too with you all. Thanks for that update Sarah, things change so quickly nowadays

Sarah

sarah707
18-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks for that update Sarah, things change so quickly nowadays, Sarah

You're welcome! :D