PDA

View Full Version : Child Proof Storage/Cage for Under Sink bleach etc.

Sarahbelle
09-10-2008, 08:51 AM
My hubby wants to keep all the cleaning stuff under the sink !!! A complete no no if you are a childminder. He doesn't like cupboard locks either!! Does anyone know where I can get a child proof or lockable cage/storage unit that will fit under the sink?

crazybones
09-10-2008, 09:04 AM
I bought mine from MFI a long time ago. Have you tried googling it?

HFC
09-10-2008, 09:06 AM
My hubby wants to keep all the cleaning stuff under the sink !!! A complete no no if you are a childminder. He doesn't like cupboard locks either!! Does anyone know where I can get a child proof or lockable cage/storage unit that will fit under the sink?

Depends on the amount of space but how about a wire cat carrier with a padlock?

http://catbaskets.co.uk/images/catbasket_large.jpg

Sarahbelle
09-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I tried googling it but i'm not getting the results I want. Maybe I'm not putting in the right keywords:( The cat basket idea might work. I'll certainly look at it.:)

Chatterbox Childcare
11-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Aren't hubbies funny - mine wouldn't be bothered where the cleaning stuff was as he doesn't know what it looks like or how to use it. Consequently mine is in overhead storage cupboard!

tulip0803
12-10-2008, 12:45 AM
The only one I can find on tinternet is http://www.diyessentials.com/php/showProducts.php?plu=545.48.248

I saw one in one of those little catalogues that come with papers a couple of months ago but cannot remember whose it was:doh:

christine e
12-10-2008, 06:08 AM
I bought one years ago from NES arnold

Cx

crazybones
12-10-2008, 06:49 AM
The only one I can find on tinternet is http://www.diyessentials.com/php/showProducts.php?plu=545.48.248

I saw one in one of those little catalogues that come with papers a couple of months ago but cannot remember whose it was:doh:

That is the same as mine.

manjay
12-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Not seen or heard of a cage before. Bit expensive and I would probably need 3 to fit all my cleaning stuff in:D I just use a mag lock. Dead simple and can be turned off when the children are not here.

miffy
12-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Aren't hubbies funny - mine wouldn't be bothered where the cleaning stuff was as he doesn't know what it looks like or how to use it. Consequently mine is in overhead storage cupboard!

That made me laugh Debbie - afraid my hubby is the same :)

Miffy xx

Chimps Childminding
12-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Mine is just in the cupboard, with a cupboard catch on it, Ofsted have never queried this although the children don't go in the kitchen unsupervised!

Chimps Childminding
12-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Sorry just re-read your original post and had missed the bit about hubby not liking cupboard catches. That will teach me to read things properly and not just skim :blush:

mummyroysof3
12-10-2008, 04:27 PM
hi, i think i saw something like that in the kleeneze or bettarware books but im sure i also saw a lockable box for cleaning products or medicienes etc in another catalogue bu cant remember what one, ill let you know if i come across it

charlotte x

Sarahbelle
13-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks annie for the link. Didn't realise they were going to be that expensive.

Nice one Debbie - but my hubby only worries about things like that cos he is a complete neat freak - he doesn't actually know how to use them!!! He had to use the washing machine himself once - he managed to get it going but he didn't think to actually put a wash tab in first.:laughing:

Sarahbelle
13-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Maybe I'm being a bit thick here:blush: but what is a mag lock manjay?

LOOPYLISA
13-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Mine is just in the cupboard, with a cupboard catch on it, Ofsted have never queried this although the children don't go in the kitchen unsupervised!

Same here x

ajs
13-10-2008, 03:21 PM
i keep mine in the cellar but i suppose it would be a bit expensive having a cellar fitted just to keep the cleaning stuff in

crazybones
13-10-2008, 03:48 PM
i keep mine in the cellar but i suppose it would be a bit expensive having a cellar fitted just to keep the cleaning stuff in

Mandy keeps lots of things in her cellar; ex-cleaners, ex-ironing ladies, George and .......................... poor Miffy. :eek:

ajs
13-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Mandy keeps lots of things in her cellar; ex-cleaners, ex-ironing ladies, George and .......................... poor Miffy. :eek:

no i keep david in the cellar and george in my bed

crazybones
13-10-2008, 04:04 PM
no i keep david in the cellar and george in my bed

:clapping: :laughing:

Sarahbelle
14-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Not seen or heard of a cage before. Bit expensive and I would probably need 3 to fit all my cleaning stuff in:D I just use a mag lock. Dead simple and can be turned off when the children are not here.

Maybe I am being a bit thick here:blush: but what is a mag lock manjay?

Andrea08
14-10-2008, 09:38 PM
That is the same as mine.

:eek: :eek: :eek: HOW MUCH£££££££ OMG little :littleangel: can drink d bleach

ONLY JOKING !!!

X

acorns
14-10-2008, 09:45 PM
I've moved all mine into the cupboard under the stairs with a lock on it. I was just inspected & Ofsted didn't even ask where it all was :(

manjay
14-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Maybe I am being a bit thick here:blush: but what is a mag lock manjay?

Sorry!! These are the ones I use although probably cheaper on Ebay. I love them but have to remember to deactivate them before I have a glass of wine or I can't get in the cupboard myself:laughing:

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=20958&callingViewName=&categoryId=3724&langId=-1&catalogId=11051

Sarahbelle
15-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Sorry!! These are the ones I use although probably cheaper on Ebay. I love them but have to remember to deactivate them before I have a glass of wine or I can't get in the cupboard myself:laughing:

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=20958&callingViewName=&categoryId=3724&langId=-1&catalogId=11051

Thanks manjay. They look quite good. I will have hubby check it out (seeing as hes the awkward one!;)

Sarahbelle
23-10-2008, 06:32 PM

Bought some mag locks today. So thanks ever so! Now all i have to do is get hubby to fit them;)

manjay
23-10-2008, 06:41 PM
No probs. Just watch where you keep the key. Mine is at the top of my tall fridge but now ds had perfected the art of standing on a kitchen chair to reach it:laughing:

MicheH
21-11-2008, 08:50 PM
How about the locks on that cupboard that clip 2 doors together, that way no drilling into the doors etc, nasties locked away but taken off easily when they go home

Sarahbelle
22-11-2008, 08:40 AM
How about the locks on that cupboard that clip 2 doors together, that way no drilling into the doors etc, nasties locked away but taken off easily when they go home

A slide lock? I had to get one as hubby took one look at the mag locks and said he didn't want to drill into the wood of our new kitchen cupboards! Wish he'd said before I bought the mag locks:angry:

The slide lock works well and should keep ofsted happy:clapping:

jacksojd
03-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Only signed up so I could post this reply. Can't believe any of you would consider just keeping the Kitchen 'out of bounds' - My other half works as childrens nurse in GOSH, London and regularly mentions about how children have got hold of and drank dangerous liquids leaving them scared for LIFE and/or unable to breath or eat properly anymore!
Just buy a lockable cage
Also: It's not just about keeping OFSTED happy now is it...

karen m
03-11-2010, 11:10 PM
well i keep my kitchen out of bounds,not only for cleaning stuff reason but also would you really want lo puttin g hands in bin

mummyof3
03-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Only signed up so I could post this reply. Can't believe any of you would consider just keeping the Kitchen 'out of bounds' - My other half works as childrens nurse in GOSH, London and regularly mentions about how children have got hold of and drank dangerous liquids leaving them scared for LIFE and/or unable to breath or eat properly anymore!
Just buy a lockable cage
Also: It's not just about keeping OFSTED happy now is it...

You are replying to a post over 2yrs ago.

Don't you think as responsible registered childminders we are aware of the dangers to the children. We follow strict risk assessments and whatever works for us whether it is keeping the kitchen out of bounds or lockable cages does it really matter as long as a child is kept safe and these products out of reach.

Oh and just for the record I have a lockable cage for my cleaning products!

The Juggler
04-11-2010, 10:35 AM

me too. I have the mothercare removable sliding locks so I can take them off at the weekend. Ikea do a lockable cabinet (I have on my wall for medicines) but its an upright one so it would only fit under the sink if you removed the shelf and it's quite narrow so not sure it would fit cleaning products that well hon.

What about a lockable metal hanging file box from Rymans - take out the files and it's about right height for bleach bottles etc and that would probably stand in your under sink cupboard