PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please

Francesca
08-10-2008, 11:50 PM
I know its probably too late for advice, but I'm not going to sleep well for worrying either so thought I might as well write it out now.

I look after a 4 year old after school, 5.00pm - 7 pm though she is usually picked up about 6.30ish. In light of this I charge the normal rate for both hours, but a min 10 hour weekly contract regardless of use. So even though Mum works 3 days only, I pick her up 5 days. Thats fine by me seeing as she pays me but I have noticed over the last two weeeks she has got later and later, one day being 7.15. DH said she was trouble from the start and tonight was the biscuit.

She can be very rude and I have found tonight really difficult. I'll be honest, I have caused the problem myself really, dropped her off home twice because of bad weather, and a further twice as mum was unwell. Not charged her one day as she was 15 mins late. Last week she was going out Friday, I arrived to drop her daughter off and she informed me she wouldnt be paying me till sunday or monday as she couldn't take enough out of the bank - I didnt know what to say - though I was paid monday, she always pays a week behind.

So tonight, she texts me at 6.46pm to says she is going to get something to eat and wont be back till 7.30pm, hope thats ok? As it happened I had friends coming over at 8pm so I texted back and said I was sorry but I couldn't and was happy to drop her off somewhere but it had to be now. I did take 9mins to text back, I didnt know what to say and wanted to make sure I phrased it so I didnt offend. Needless to say DH was furious.

So after 15 mins, I was talking to DH, mobile goes and you can guess the rest - daughter hands it to me and accidently clicks it on, while I say to hubby, that will be the mother to say she will be back in 10... now I still dont think it was rude, I didnt say it to hubby to be rude but matter of fact. But you could here she was fuming - but what did she say - its xx I will be back in 5 minutes.

15 minutes later - 7.30pm she arrives, nearly breaks her hand pounding on my door, my youngest one in bed by this point, storms through the house without looking at me, gets her daughter, wont look at me and turns her back on me, wont let me say anything, get's ready and slams my door on the way out. I am really upset she came into my house, and behaved like that in front of my children, when she arrived at 7.30pm anyhow - so if she missed her meal I assume she would have been texting me to tell me she was going to be even later!!!

So my question after all that? What do I do now???

DH wants me to give her the notice period of 4 weeks. Or even better let her off the last weeeks money and this weeks and tell her to find other care for her.

Can anyone give a suggestion as to how to handle this? I dont even know whether I should ring to see if I am still to pick her up tomorrow.

Many thanks and sorry for the essay

Francesca

Blaze
09-10-2008, 02:56 AM
Firstly document all of what has happened.
If you want to give notice do so in writing stating her unreasonable behaviour (slamming doors etc)...you must stick to the terms of your contract ie 4 weeks noice though...if you don't she could take you to court for any loss of earnings SHE has had in the 4 week period!:eek: :rolleyes: ...You may find she doesn't use you...but payment for the notice period is required regardless!
Try & stay calm & professional at ALL TIMES!

(What an ingrate)!!!

PS If you decide to keep this parent GET TOUGH ON COLLECTION TIMES...hit her where it hurts...her pocket!:thumbsup: :D

crazybones
09-10-2008, 05:56 AM
I agree with Blaze. I wouldnt have anyone march into my house and behave like that. I would also have been charging her unsocial hours for after 6 pm. You have every right to refuse care with no notice, especially when she was just going for a meal - not an emergency. That was very inconsiderate of her. I would give her 4 weeks notice with an invoice of what she will owe and a copy of your late payment policy. I would also remind her of your charges for extra hours. She may not like it but she signed a contract to agree to those terms. Write down everything that has happend and everything that happens in the future.

Francesca
09-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks all.

I know that I have to give notice as this isnt the only time this has happened as its money thats far more hassle than its worth frankly.

She's a single parent and I know how hard that is and I suppose my heart strings got pulled really. I have another little one till 7pm, though they nearly always arrive by 6.30pm and if later apologise profusley so I dont mind.

But this isn't the only thing, but it is the last thing.

I am giving here four weeks notice today, because as the end of the day, whether she likes it or not I am not a free service, she will be charged for being late too. If she decides not to use me for the next 4 weeks as I think she just might she will be taken to court for the fees.

Thanks all for the input it was great to be able to come back to that this morning.

Francesca

Francesca
09-10-2008, 08:21 AM
ok - got a text message just now to say she is getting her friend to do the pick up from wrap around and so I have asked whether she will not be using me in future - just awaiting the reply.

Francesca

crazybones
09-10-2008, 08:25 AM
ok - got a text message just now to say she is getting her friend to pick up xx from wrap around and so I have asked whether she will not be using me in future - just awaiting the reply.

Francesca

If she replies tell her you need 4 weeks written (not text message) notice and she is liable for fees whether or not she uses you, including outstanding fees.

Francesca
09-10-2008, 08:36 AM
she just said that her friend was taking her to Girls Brigade.

Her notice is still written out - I did expect an apology this morning and would have re thought it, but no apology.

Francesca

sarah707
09-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Hi!

You've had some excellent advice from other members which I hope is helping you.

As these boards are viewable by anyone who wants to see them, I have taken names out of your posts for confidentiality reasons.

I hope you understand.

I hope this sorts itself out quickly for you! :D

Francesca
09-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks - sorry for that I tried not too and didnt realise I had. Sorry and thanks.

Francesca