PDA

View Full Version : How to achieve "Outstanding" - Ofsted

Emma
16-01-2008, 12:59 PM
I have recently just started as a childminder, and am needing any help or guidance from those of you out there who have received outstanding from Ofsted.
I would like to know the kind of things I need to have in place, visually displayed, policies and procedures that you would suggest and basically any guidance you could give a total novice that would like to progress....

Any suggestions are greatly received.
Thanks
Emma:)

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Sorry Emma but I do think this is something you need to work at yourself

How you are in your setting etc

If it was that easy for someone to just give advice on how to become " outstanding" then we would all be doing it

There are no easy answers

Look around the forum though I am sure you will find heaps of tips / advice / good information for building up your own business and working hard in all areas yourself

Angel xx

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Emma do not forget to come and say " hello" in the hello section of the forum and introuduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself

Angel xx

Twinkles
16-01-2008, 01:07 PM
mmm... I did get an outstanding. All I can say is that they love paperwork! the more policies/risk assesments etc the better . Oh! and it helps to have only 1 or 2 really well behaved children with you at the time of the inspection.
Other than that who can tell it's so unfair at the moment , one inspector will pick up on things that another won't it all depends on who you get on the day.
Well I haven't been much help have I ? Keep coming on this website it's really helpful and you will pick up loads of tips.

Twinkles
16-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Hey Angel you type much faster than me !

deb24
16-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi
Just make sure you know all your standards they are very hot on that.
Also good to show you have a good range of books and toys.
Good Luck Let me know how you get on

zillervalley
23-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi

i had my inspection in march and got outstanding, like most of the others i agree that paper work is the hot topic at the moment, any one out their two read each report that comes up on the internet record the recemendations, and take them on board in your setting, you then might cover all aspects that the inspectors in your area are looking for, hope this helps
Joan
:clapping:

jess
28-05-2009, 06:55 PM
I got a good in my recent inspection with some areas outstanding,the inspector pointed out the things I could have done to bring the grade up and yes, they were all paperwork based! In my area it seems the hot topic for ofsted at the moment is safety, risk assessments etc, and inclusion?

Mollymop
28-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Another old thread!!!!

Minstrel
28-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Another old thread!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jess
28-05-2009, 08:30 PM
:blush: lol I didnt notice that!

estrelas
28-05-2009, 08:45 PM
nor me lol, when i read the first time :laughing:

TheBTeam
28-05-2009, 08:46 PM
I think to be outstanding, it is something that you have that the inspector will see on the day, yes knowing your stuff and having anything written down is important, but that makes you only just better than satisfactory, because we should all have the stuff.

To get an outstanding is an achievement that is individual and comes from your heart and enthusiasm and commitment to putting in the work for the job, it is not something that someone can give as a tick list for things to have, you have to put more than just the must haves into the job and go the extra mile to get the wow factor.

It is a fantastic achievement to get outstanding and anyone who gets it i am sure will agree to just hand over a tick list of things to have to anybody, old or new at the job will not guarantee you an outstanding, it is personal and can only achieved yourself through you own attitude, hard work and dedication.

Please don't be offended by this, but i think if you are to achieve outstanding it will only be after you have gone through the blood sweat and tears and fantastic joy that this job brings.

I got a good at my last inspection (pre eyfs) and if it came down to paperwork i without doubt would have got outstanding, but i didn't get it because on the day, the passion and commitment i have for the job didn't come across to the inspector and i could tell that.

Debbieanne
29-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree, who knows what each inspector looks for to give outstanding, as they all seem to have their own ideas and ideals.
You can only do your best and make sure you have all paperwork inplace.
I had my first grade this year and got overall good, the ofsted inspector said for a first inspection thats very good.
I'm not sure they give outstanding on a first inspection, as you would not have anything to strive towards.
I'm chuffed i got over all good and will strive towards outstanding, i now have 3 yrs to do this and will enjoy every minute of it, which is the main thing.
Good luck.:)