PDA

View Full Version : New style reports on Ofsted website

sarah707
08-10-2008, 02:01 PM
The first reports to follow the new layout for Eyfs have come through today... :D

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/oxcare_providers/list/

katickles
08-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Just had a quick scan through the 1st one Sarah - they are so much more detailed arn't they.

Thanks for the link, will take a proper look later :thumbsup:

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/21/2199/219927.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

Pedagog
08-10-2008, 02:16 PM
They are nice and clear and easy to read.:)

marian
08-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Thank You - will have a good look later when everyone has gone home.
Marian x

Annie_T
08-10-2008, 02:57 PM
cool thanks hun x

angeldelight
08-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Oh I like them

They are much better dont you think?

Thanks Sarah

Angel xx

mum22
08-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Oh yes, I think much better
Thank you Sarah

miffy
08-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Thank you - will have a read later

Miffy xx

sarah707
08-10-2008, 05:34 PM
There are a few things that I have picked up straight away...

Actions to make a note of 'who has legal contact and who has parental responsibility for a child'... I might have to tweak my child information sheets for that one...

Also parents questionaires are mentioned a couple of times, so maybe i need to dust a few off.

Anyone else noticed anything that shouts at them?? :D

nannysue
08-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Is it me being a bit dim ? but i couldn't see the grade :o Sue x

crazybones
08-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Risk Assessments where mentioned a lot on the ones I read.

Also yesterday my Quality Worker came for a visit and told me that they are very big on Ethnic Origin at the moment too.

sarah707
08-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Is it me being a bit dim ? but i couldn't see the grade :o Sue x

There doesn't seem to be an overall grade does there?

Just at the end of the report each part of the SEF sections/questions have grades of their own.

nannysue
08-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Are we going to have an overall grade now? Surely that will carry on.

Sue x

Heaven Scent
08-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Yes they are clear but I really do feel the goal post has been well and truely moved and I feel it really is all going to put a lot of really good minders off because they may not be particularly good at paperwork - its a real shame Also I feel that there really does need to be a new round of intensive training on ECM to reinforce it as there is such a huge emphasis on paperwork relating to it. Don't get me wrong I did realise that the goal posts would be moved but because my understanding of EYFS was that it was about recording what we were already doing with the children in our care I feel a lot of minders were lulled into a false sense of security and perhaps not made aware enough of the importance of being up to date with current lingo.

I was speaking to a minder the other day who was choked off by her inspctor for not understanding how we help children to 'achieve economic wellbeing' so I really do feel that a lot have been very let down by the training offered. I have never had any training on ECM because the legislation came into force in the year and a half that I was not working. I had to pick it up by researching it myself when lecturing on Social Policy in relation to Children and childcare. I bet if you carried out a survey amongst a good cross section of childcare professionals you wouldn't find many who have a good understanding of ECM or who sort of remember what it is all about but its a long time since they had the training.

I don't know about anyone else but my EYFS training was all about observation and planning - child based planning etc and about children having access to outdoor spaces - no wrong weather but wrong clothing. How many of you discussed setting up an outdoor water activity using old guttering and milk crates??? I went to an open day at my childrens school and guess what the reception teacher was doing?????

loocyloo
08-10-2008, 06:33 PM
i agree, it does look as if they have moved the goal posts substantially! the new style reports do read better, and seem clearer, but that may also be down to how the inspector fills it out!

how on earth they expect us to have managed the 'switch' overnight, when other companies/agencies etc have a year or more to 'swap'. a friend used to work for QCA, and she said it is ridiculous what they are expecting us to do! plus, again i agree, so far all the training i have had has been about observation and planning! (and risk assesment was mentioned, but not in the detail that it appears to be needed!) i am booked on a course later in the year, but other than it is EYFS, i know nothing about it!

well. i'll find out soon enough! inspection next week. i was really looking forward to it under the old 'scheme', i truly felt i was on course for veryvery good!!! (having had several outstandings, and very minor 'actions') this time round i feel as if i will be doing well to get satisfactory!

xxx

nikim
08-10-2008, 06:37 PM
they all seem to have more satisfactory than good , or did i miss something!!:panic:

crazybones
08-10-2008, 06:44 PM
I have read 3 reports now that mention in the actions/improvements "create a clear play space for children".

sarah707
08-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Hmmmm there's a lot of 'not getting initial information from parents' as well...

And a fair bit of 'not being trained in eyfs' so learning and development is only satisfactory

And I just saw a few that talk about not implementing all 6 areas of learning and development...

donnahay0
08-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Ummmm - interesting reading there. Picked up a few areas that I might tweak so far in readiness for my inspection which could be any time. It has just made me feel so undready again.

I was quite confident that I would get an outstanding (if inspected under the old type of inspection) - not being big headed but I have really gone all out to be the best I possible can. Not so confident under the eyfs inspections - there is so many areas and having been minding for 8 years now I get the feeling that they will expect the world.

My hubby doesn't understand why it is so important for me to want an outstanding - after all the parents of my mindees don't give a whatsit about Ofsted and neither do the new parents who I interview - maybe they should but most of them are recommended and they also see my references and that seems to be enough for them. I think I just want that pat on the back I suppose!

mum2two
09-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I don't think there's as much info as in the old ones.

Each area had a bit written about it before, so you could see how well you were achieving in each area, but it's all together on here.

I do like the bit at the end, where it grades you on all the sub bits in each area.

Be interesting to see how hubby's new style one reads against my old style one. Same inspector & same grades...

Kelly x

sarah707
09-10-2008, 08:39 AM
My hubby doesn't understand why it is so important for me to want an outstanding

I understand!

It's about you knowing you are brilliant at what you do... but someone else in a position of authority over you telling you that you're brilliant... well that makes it really true! :D

Donkey
15-10-2008, 02:32 PM
I've read a few as well, from what I can pick up they are wanting lots of risk assessments, individual planning and also initial assessments.

im getting quite worried now!!!

Janeyc
16-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Thats def what mine was all about-risk assesments and starting points......im beginning to think after talking to some other CM that my FIVE HR :eek: inspection with a completed SEF was a little ott though!!!!!!!She seemed overly critical from what others have told me about theirs-altho that was b4 Sep-I keep looking for mine on there but its not yet..how long does it take to get your actual rport?is it on the web b4 they send it to you?i want to read it now!!!!My inspection was last weds,jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jaz
16-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Does anyone else feel that the new style inspections are being quite harsh in some cases?

J
x

sarah707
16-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Does anyone else feel that the new style inspections are being quite harsh in some cases?

J
x

Yes I do.

I was reading some last night and I felt quite sorry for a few of the childminders.

Some inspectors seemed very picky ... and 5 hours that Janeyc is talking about is just ridiculous :(

son77
16-10-2008, 07:11 PM
So is there no overall grade anymore??

Spangles
16-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm sure there is an over-all grade as haven't members on here been having inspections under EYFS and they've got grades?

Not sure where it is on the inspection reports though, I can't see it either.

sarah707
17-10-2008, 07:10 AM
There doesn't seem to be does there?

Yet members are coming on here saying they have 'good' or 'satisfactory' so they must be giving out a grade. :rolleyes:

loocyloo
17-10-2008, 12:13 PM
hi, i had my inspection on monday (3 1/2hrs), and on the inspectors 'toolkit' page that she showed me, it had all the boxes and grading that you see on the reports online, and then it had a box labelled 'overall grade' and that was the box that had my grade in it. i have looked at a few online, and i agree, this box seems to be missing. i will look and see if it comes on the written copy i am expecting in '15 days' ... 15 'normal' days, 15 'working' days or 15 'ofsted' days??!!! she said once i have checked it for factual errors, and send it back or whayever i have to do, it can then be put on the website.

the inspector also said no one should be telling what grading they have been given until you receive it in writing!!!

hth xxx

Janeyc
17-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Yes i was the same as above post.............shown an overall grade and grades for the sub catorgries.Wasnt told not to tell anyone my grade tho:blush: !I agree-i think 5 hrs was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy OTT-but maybe she was just picky(she was-she admitted that she was tougher than most!hmmm not fair i thought theyd all be the same!)but im happy with my "good"i worked really hard and i guess no one is "perfect"theres always something better/extra to do so i done think i should have got any higher-but they def.do seem tougher under EYFS than b4-well so other cm tell me and the reports seem to indicate that too....thank god its over!:laughing: jxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rubybubbles
09-11-2008, 09:23 PM
There are a few things that I have picked up straight away...

Actions to make a note of 'who has legal contact and who has parental responsibility for a child'... I might have to tweak my child information sheets for that one...
Also parents questionaires are mentioned a couple of times, so maybe i need to dust a few off.

Anyone else noticed anything that shouts at them?? :D

I got picked up on this (I knew I had seen it somewhere:laughing:

She said i know it is an awkward thing to ask, but blame it on being a legal requirement now:(

seems daft to me, but I am sure it is there for a good reason

I was also told my overall grade, and she said I got 3 goods and 2 outstandings, but on these reports I can't see 5 things:panic:

I have no idea! better wait for my own report to come through