PDA

View Full Version : Refusing to hold hand/go in buggy- tears

louise
08-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Hi, Mindee who is 3 in Jan use to be great at walking so much so that during the holidays he walked most of the time. Towards the end he started to get a bit silly, dangling foot in road as we waited to cross, Jumping across busy roads ect. When ds started school i decided to put him in buggy to start with as we weren't use to the roads and its a lot busier with people and 2 busy roads to cross. Then i started to let him walk holding the buggy.

Now to the point the last two weeks he has started to cry whenever i need him to go in buggy or hold my hand. It is not a little cry today it lasted all the way home today which is a 10 min walk. This was as i wouldnt let him walk without holding my hand down a busy road. I hadn't taken the buggy as my ds wanted to take his scotter for the first time and i was unsure if he would scoot all the way to school as he has never gone that far before.

How do you tackle it? He has never done this before. Sure i have had the odd tears but not this bad. It feels like im doing something wrong.

Thanks Loux

ajs
08-10-2008, 09:05 AM
my older young ones have two choices hold the buggy or wear a wrist strap that i hold the other end of

there isn't another option
if they hold the buggy and keep letting go they were the wrist strap too until i am confident they won't let go and run away

i had one 2 yr old with his very cheeky grin try to run across the road as he was playing with me now they don't get the chance

sarah707
08-10-2008, 09:13 AM
I am exactly the same as ajs... except i use reins.

The slightest bit of silliness on or near roads and they can scream for hours if they want... on go the reins.

As I explain to them and their parents, their safety comes first.

You could also try doing some road safety games and activites during the day, see if they have an effect.

It's not your fault :D

katickles
08-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Mine have to wear reins or wrist straps aswell x

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/21/2155/215587.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

Pedagog
08-10-2008, 09:21 AM
My son had a little ruck sack, That was actually reins with a bag attached, he was more than happy to wear his special bag, as it wasn't reins (at least not in his mind).

crazybones
08-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I have this problem with William as he is the one who has to walk. If he doesnt get on the buggy board, he has to have the wrist strap or reins - I do not give him a choice but we do have major tantrums recently. But we just dont move until he is ready to do as I say. Can get me rather flustered in the pouring rain in the school playground with lots of onlookers but I always win. That is why I need wine:D

louise
08-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Thank you i will go on a hunt for the reins. I know he wont like it. I have tried waiting for him to give me his hand. It worked last week this week is another story. Its just suddenly he has got like this.

Thanks
Lou

ruby
08-10-2008, 09:33 AM
ours either go on reins or buggy . we do have the bag one and also winnie the pooh bag and a monkey one.

the older ones will walk but no that if they don't behave then they will have to hold our hands

you are not doing anything wrong

cathy

haribo
08-10-2008, 09:36 AM
those bags/reins sound good ,where do you get them? not seen them before x

miffy
08-10-2008, 09:37 AM
I agree with everyone else - hold hands or buggy or wear reins

Don't feel bad - this is for their safety and your peace of mind :)

Miffy xx

Pedagog
08-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Here you go, these are not the same as mine, but are similier

http://www.bumpto3.com/Product.aspx?DISPLAYCAT=homepage&CAT=homepage&CATGRY=home2(homepage)&PID=JF256(Products)
http://www.adventurebaby.co.uk/littlelife-toddler-day-sack-with-safety-rein-1357-0.html
http://www.adventurebaby.co.uk/littlelife-animal-daysack-with-safety-rein-1355-0.html
http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/5802/7631713610240286749.html

louise
08-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Reins are found. I have explained it to him. I feel tears will be here again when they go on though.

Lou

ruby
08-10-2008, 09:55 AM
the best one is littlelife there is room to put nappies wet wipes and a cup.
the strap can also come off for when they are older.

if you go to www.alongcamebaby.co.uk and go to littlelife toddler daysack they are £11.99 but have 10% off at the moment but i would have a look around the web you might be able to get them cheaper

cathy

wendywu
08-10-2008, 11:19 AM
its not open for discussion in our house its reins and then a wrist strap when they get older. They can scream all they want but at least they are safe:)

christine e
08-10-2008, 11:44 AM
I had a problem with a three year old who would not hold hands and would drop on to the floor and refuse to budge so I put him back in buggy which didn't bother him at first until he realised that when we got to the park I said he couldn't come out because he hadn't walked. I did feel mean but it did eventually work and he walks really nicely now holding hands.

Cx

louised
08-10-2008, 03:10 PM
I agree with the above posts as you sometimes have to be 'cruel to be kind' I had a similar situation where a child wouldn't hold hands or wear a wrist strap so she went in the buggy and when we got to the park She had to sit in the buggy. I only had to do it once as children soon learn there are consequences to their actions. She now is really well behaved when we are walking anywhere and she always wears a wrist strap.

Blaze
08-10-2008, 04:02 PM
its not open for discussion in our house its reins and then a wrist strap when they get older. They can scream all they want but at least they are safe
Same!:thumbsup:

louise
08-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Thank you he had the reins on and even picked them up when we got ready to leave. He tried once to let go and had a short grumble but that was cut short as my ds got annoyed with him as we had to stop and told mindee of for making him sad. I was also impressed with my son. I didn't expect him to scoot all the way home as he is so tired after school. Well when he didn't scoot he walked with it. Not once did he ask for me to take it.

Loux

Trouble
08-10-2008, 07:28 PM
i use regns and wrist straps but with the reigns i undo one side to make the strap longer but im firmly attached at the other end:D