PDA

View Full Version : calpol and other meds

patevans
07-10-2008, 04:28 PM
D's mum just said boots wouldn't sell her calpol or medised because he us under 2, I currently have a permission form and policy stating -

Parents are to supply a bottle of fever reducing syrup (e.g. Disprol/calpol etc) - I do not supply any medications. If you’re child should need some fever reducing syrup while in my care, providing that your child has some, I shall contact you for permission to administer a dose and you can complete the necessary paperwork when you collect your child.

So where do I stand now then with this? :panic:

mrsb
07-10-2008, 04:33 PM
D's mum just said boots wouldn't sell her calpol or medised because he us under 2, I currently have a permission form and policy stating -

Parents are to supply a bottle of fever reducing syrup (e.g. Disprol/calpol etc) which is suitable for their child's age - I do not supply any medications and I will not administer medicines unsuitable to children's ages. If you’re child should need some fever reducing syrup while in my care, providing that your child has some, I shall contact you for permission to administer a dose and you can complete the necessary paperwork when you collect your child.

So where do I stand now then with this? :panic:
I would maybe just add those bits in?:)

I'm surprised at the pharmacy though because boots do their own brand 3months+ paracetamol:rolleyes:

sarah1977
07-10-2008, 04:39 PM
thats what i thought if i was her i would go to tesco you can buy it with your shopping no questions asked do you think she may have said this because she didnt want to buy some ?

littlesprogs
07-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I have calpol for my son and he is only 11 weeks. They do a special one for 2+ months and is suitable for up to 3 years i think you just up the dose as the child gets older.

ajs
07-10-2008, 04:44 PM
it may be she didn't ask for calpol but something stronger
mindees mum wanted some stuff for her daughter and boots wouldn't sell it to her as s is under 2 so she went to the next chemist and said she was 2 and they sold it to her :eek:
i think it was medised though

crazybones
07-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but I was about to start another one. Mindee has been a little under the weather this afternoon - nothing major but if it had been one of my own I would have given Calpol. Anyway when mum picked up I told her and she said she wanted to sign something to give me authority to give Calpol if I thought it was necessary, without having to ask her first. My question is "Can I do this?" She is hard to contact at work and in emergency I have to email and someone will contact her. Obviously I would document it afterwards but ultimately it would be my decision.

patevans
07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
it may be she didn't ask for calpol but something stronger
mindees mum wanted some stuff for her daughter and boots wouldn't sell it to her as s is under 2 so she went to the next chemist and said she was 2 and they sold it to her :eek:
i think it was medised though

Apparently the calpol has been taken off the shelves at boots, the medised and calpol contain something that cannot be given to children under 2!!

crazybones
07-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Might be something to do with this

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4783572.ece

sarah707
07-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but I was about to start another one. Mindee has been a little under the weather this afternoon - nothing major but if it had been one of my own I would have given Calpol. Anyway when mum picked up I told her and she said she wanted to sign something to give me authority to give Calpol if I thought it was necessary, without having to ask her first. My question is "Can I do this?" She is hard to contact at work and in emergency I have to email and someone will contact her. Obviously I would document it afterwards but ultimately it would be my decision.

No... because you need written permission before the child has the medicine AND you need to know when it was last administered and by whom so you do not overdose the child... you cannot know this without asking parent before you give ...

crazybones
07-10-2008, 05:29 PM
No... because you need written permission before the child has the medicine AND you need to know when it was last administered and by whom so you do not overdose the child... you cannot know this without asking parent before you give ...

Thanks Sarah. I did try to explain this to mum but she wanted me to - shall we say, bend the rules. :rolleyes:

patevans
07-10-2008, 05:39 PM

So should i not have this in my policy or on my consent form then?

sarah707
07-10-2008, 05:47 PM
My policy says that if a child appears to need a medication during the day (as opposed to an ongoing one for which I have permission, like inhalers or eczema cream), I must ask parents permission...

As their reply must be written, I will ask them to text me to tell me yes I can give the medication and when it was last given.

They then need to sign the relevant forms when they come to collect.

Also, if their child is ill enough for medication, then they really ought to be considering coming home, so they need to know it's been given and that they might get a call later to ask them to collect if there isn't any improvement.

Hth :D

HFC
07-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks Sarah. I did try to explain this to mum but she wanted me to - shall we say, bend the rules. :rolleyes:

I know we have different regulations here but I have a medication permission slip signed by the parents stating that I have prior permission give 5ml Calpol (or similar)to a child with a high temperature, the parents have to supply the medicine and sign a form stating they know I gave it to the child. I have a duplicate book which I then fill in with times and doseage, the parents sign it and are given a copy. If I couldn't contact the parents to check I wouldn't give it until the child had been with me for a minimum of 4 hours. I would use cold compresses and a fan.

louise
07-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi, I can't rembember the reason why but Medised, some cold and cough mixtures where changed to the age of two and over. I use to work in a pharmacy i stopped in April and i think it came in not long before i left.

Ok found a link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7315924.stm

They will soon be repackaged with the new age on. Was it Calpol night or cold she was after? As this is the same as Medised.

Um just wondered. If a parent has an old bottle still in date but child is under 2 would we be able to give it?

Lou

busylizzie
07-10-2008, 08:03 PM
The new Eyfs requirements state we should NOT give any non prescription medications,from past experience eg children arriving that are in reality too ill to really be in childcare setting I have said I no longer give medication such as calplol.

Its too complicated and in truth if they need calpol to get through the day then they are probably not well enough to attend in the first place.

Sounds harsh but its sometimes too diffulcult.

balloon
07-10-2008, 08:09 PM
The new Eyfs requirements state we should NOT give any non prescription medications,from past experience eg children arriving that are in reality too ill to really be in childcare setting I have said I no longer give medication such as calplol.

I have somehow managed to miss this, although now you have mentioned it do remember being told it as the ICP course back in Feb...

Can you tell me where it is in the EYFS pack please so I can show parents so they know I why I am unable to give their little ones calpol any more (I've read the thing cover to cover several times and still miss stuff!!! :(

MissTinkerbell
07-10-2008, 08:19 PM

Its too complicated and in truth if they need calpol to get through the day then they are probably not well enough to attend in the first place.

Sounds harsh but its sometimes too diffulcult.

So what about those children who are teething? They are not ill but maybe need Calpol to ease the pain.

balloon
07-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Sorry, I just had a thought. If we are only allowed to give prescription meds then all we have to do is ask the parents to get their docs to prescribe the little ones calpol isn't it?

Surely, "the government will not allow our chilminder to give baby anything that isn't prescribed" will do the trick and as its free the parents should be ok with it (shouldn't they?)
Just a thought....

sarah707
07-10-2008, 08:26 PM

This has changed with the re-write of the Eyfs in May this year.

See here for the legal wording ...

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/site/requirements/welfare/safeguarding/2.htm

Saranotts
07-10-2008, 09:20 PM
I actually had a mindee (just 5 at the time) whose mum had sent him to school with a sachet of calpol in his pocket, in case he still felt poorly later :eek:. I couldn't believe it when he told me and I took it off him and gave it back to mum later, explaining that it wasn't the done thing and why it wasn't! Some people just really surprise me.

Sara

balloon
09-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks for clarifying that Sarah. :)

Good to know I hadn't missed it really. Also glad we are able to give teething little ones calpol etc as I've got two teethers in at the moment, poor little mites.

xxx

donnahay0
09-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Previously when a child has been suffering with teething and the parents have pre-warned me, they often say "the calpol is in his bag if you think he needs it" - I always then ask when did he last have some and how much did he have.

I have always used a consent form giving me permission to adminster a non-prescription medicine like calpol, cough syrup - I guess this is now a No, No and I should get a form signed every time and like Sarah said get a text message to confirm it is ok to administer it.