PDA

View Full Version : what is an assistant allowed to do?

loocyloo
07-10-2008, 03:45 PM
hi everyone,

next march i will be one child over my numbers, as i am taking on siblings, and the 6 yr old takes me over for 2 hours after school once a week, termtime only for 6 months!

i have spoken to ofsted about a variation (not allowed to ever have more than 6 under 8's) and a variation on a theme where my ds (6) would go to another minder (best friends mum, so would see it as 'tea') that evening, thus in theory freeing up a theoretical space. (not allowed either, as i am deemed to have parental responsibility) the alternative is to employ an assistant! i couldn't think who to ask, once assorted relatives said no! i then asked my neighbour... she said yes! hurrah!

... so i'll get her crb done, and is there anything else she needs?

i was told by ofsted that if i employ an assistant, i can double the number of children i am registered for!!!

i understand from ofsted that i cannot leave a minded child in the sole charge of an assistant, fair enough! but what i would like to do, is leave my assistant at home with my daughter and her 2 small children (leaving me my 2minded unders 5's to take to school) whilst i collect the 4 infants(5-8) from school. (so i would be walking home with 6 children)

BUT talking to my local NCMA, i have been told that i can't let her stay home, even though none of them are actual minded children (just our own) and that as i would be over my numbers (even though dd is/would be 'at home') she has to do the school run with me! sounds daft to me, and after reading the posts on this board, it doesn't sound right!

total children; 5 under 5 ( 2 minded, 1 mine, 2 assistants ) 4 infants(5-8yrs - 1 mine) and sometimes a 10 yr old! (who is lovely and so sensible!!!!)

am i missing something? i've been looking but i can't find a list of 'dos and don'ts' for assistants!

thank you.
loocyloo xxx

Pauline
08-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Unfortunately there are no 'do's and don'ts for assistants' Ofsted take each case on it's own merit.

Sometimes they allow an assistant to be in sole care with parents written permission but if they have told you that you cannot do that, then there must be a reason. Have you been minding long? Perhaps if you are new that is the reason.

Best thing might be to contact them again and double check, telling them what your NCMA have said and check if that is correct. I would get it in writing too, so best to write or email.

:)

tinkerbelle
08-10-2008, 08:50 AM
my assistant is allowed to be left in sole charge of children with the parents permission (in writing) my certificate states "may at times agreed and confirmed in writing by parents, leave an assistant in sole charge of children" i specifically asked for this to be added as she does one school pick up i do another also our numbers doubled so i leave her at home with three children under 5 and i take 3 with me as i have a 7 seater car she cant fit in

Pauline
08-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Yes that is what mine says, I think it is important to have everything in writing these days!! :rolleyes:

loocyloo
08-10-2008, 12:52 PM
hi, i haven't asked ofsted about leaving my assistant home with some children, whilst i collect the others; it was my ncma development lady who told me.

the thing is ... that none of the children being left are minded children!!!!! it would only be my own DD, and my assistants 2 children!

i would be taking all the minded children with me!

i will ask ofsted, but it won't be an issue until march! so i'll ask closer to the time, i just wondered if anyone here knew!

loocyloo x

Pauline
08-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Yes I'd leave it till nearer the time, anyway by then the rules will have changed half a dozen times :laughing:

loocyloo
08-10-2008, 06:35 PM
thank you very much! :)