PDA

View Full Version : help with dissertaion project!

butterfly
07-10-2008, 10:38 AM
about 2 years ago I started a masters degree in early years education becaue i was a foundation stage teacher. i completed the first 2 thirds of it and have achieved a PGDip. the only thing left for me to do is a 25000 word research project. however now i've moved to childminding i can't formulate a research question which i could study. i'm batting about with ideas of messy play or communication friendly spaces ut can't quite think of a question to research which will enable me to write 25000 words!

any ideas?

also i work with part time children. my best research subjects would be 2 10mth olds and 2 3/4 year olds!

Heaven Scent
07-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Why not do somehting on EYFS and where it is made up of ECM, B23, Foundation stage, and National Standards and Safeguarding children I'm sure you could easily come up with 25,000 words on all of that. ECM & Safeguarding could use up quite a lot especially if you cover the Victoria Climbie case and go into details of the Lamming enquiry and linking them to the rest would probably do the job.

sarah707
07-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I was thinking Eyfs as well...

Another angle you could use is the different way different settings are intending to implement the regulations.

Interview playgroups, nurseries, us on here, after school clubs etc and get their feelings.

I'd find that fascinating to read :D

butterfly
07-10-2008, 01:35 PM
emm.. hadn't thought of eyfs. could be an idea though as this would be seperate from my actual childminding. i wouldn't mind doing some thing with the children so that i can actually improve my practice.

keep thinking girls!

Tatia
07-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Oh well done, you!! That's really fantastic.:thumbsup:

I tore my hair out writing a 3,000 word ECA for Open U.:laughing:

Hmmm...how specific does your question need to be? You could do Communication, Language and Literacy from EYFS. Then, you can spend several hundred words waffling on about EYFS and then really delve into children becoming literate from birth upwards, incorporating your idea about the communication space. That could easily be 25,000.

Question phrased like...what influences a child's developing CLL skills? I dunno, just a thought.:blush:

butterfly
07-10-2008, 03:44 PM
thanks Tatia! i was thinking along the cll theme thinking about language acquisistion. maybe setting up cfs and observing two sets of children one aged 10mths one set older. or maybe just case study language acquisition in 3 diff age children and see if cfs help?