PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill vs Strider

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 09:14 AM
I have a strider and I lost a lot of weight a few years ago when I used it combined with my diet

This is similar

http://www.simplyfitnessequipment.co.uk/Skiers-Air-Gliders/V-fitGS1DeluxeFoldingGravityStrider

Just wondered if there was much difference in this and a treadmill ?

What do you all think ?

Angel xxx

Minnie Minx
16-01-2008, 09:18 AM
i've had a treadmill (as you know lol) and loved it, as you've got problems with your legs i'd go with the strider as a treadmill is basically for running, so you can still get knee problems etc.

The best thing is ever had was an elliptical trainer, it's a cross between a treadmill and an exercise bike and i lost a lot of weight with it, over 5 stone so i personally would recommend this for someone with joint problems, i loved my treadmill but as i've got arthiritis in my knees i found they ached after running

xxx

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 09:20 AM
What does an elliptical trainer look like does it take up a lot of room?

I guess I should save my money then and stick with the strider which did help the weight come off and it helped my leg because it got the circulation going in it?

Thanks Theresa hope you are ok and good luck for your dad today - what time will he be on the radio ?

xx

Minnie Minx
16-01-2008, 09:23 AM
thankfully it's not a live interview so he's being interviewed at 10.30 and then once it's edited i suppose they'll let him know when it's being broadcast, or they'll tell him today, he's phoning me as soon as they're gone so i'll know more then.

xx

Minnie Minx
16-01-2008, 09:25 AM
The link below takes you to a site full of them

trainers (http://www.elliptical-trainer-superstore.com/?cm_mmc=PaidInclusion-_-Inktomi-_-Elliptical_Trainer-_-9242216)

xxx

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Think I will stick wtih my strider Theresa haha

Angel xx

custardcream
16-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi Angel, I have an elliptical trainer and love it,I cant use treadmills as I have arthritis in my knee and can only do low impact exercise, which is what an elliptical trainer and strider are.
I brought mine from the site you put a link to.

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 09:33 AM
do you think i should stick with my strider then custardcream ?

xxx

custardcream
16-01-2008, 09:36 AM
If you have a bad knee I wouldnt think a treadmill would do you any good as it doesnt me, but i might be wrong.

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 09:45 AM
No I have not got a bad knee haha just a bad leg

Just wanted to know if there was a lot of difference between a strider and treadmill I am always being told I should get a treadmill - they just seem more popular than anything though and I actually think my strider is brilliant

I think I will save my money and buy something else instead and stick to my strider

I do not want my leg to get worse with a treadmill

Thanks

Angel xx

Minnie Minx
16-01-2008, 09:51 AM
forgot to say with a treadmill, if you can't keep up the running and stop and forget to step on to the sides you do of course fall of off backwards :laughing: :laughing: stick to your strider angel as a decent treadmill with shock absorbers for running will set you back about a grand

xx

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 10:01 AM
I am always hurting myself - look how often I fall over the dog so no way do I want to fall off a treadmill haha

They sound very hard work glad I asked here first

Wonder how Carol is getting on with hers or if she is even using it

Angel xx

Minnie Minx
16-01-2008, 10:02 AM
The last i heard it was in her daughters bedroom lol (i think)

xxx

kelly21
16-01-2008, 12:11 PM
i was thinking about this too. i got a elliptical strider and was thinking of getting a treadmill too but everyone i spoke to say the strider is better as your doing your whole body and i know the strider does work as when i stick to regular exercisei see the difference on my body.

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 12:17 PM
yes kelly i agree i lost 3 stone before using my strider

although i guess it is like any excersise - if you stick to it then it works !!!

angel xx

Spangles
16-01-2008, 02:10 PM
The strider might be better for your leg as there is no impact? I always think striders look a lot more fun than a treadmill. I imagine I'd get the giggles on one of those!

I think it's great that you buy exercise equipment and actually use it! I buy it and it just stands gathering dust or being used as a clothes horse until I eventually get rid of it!

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 02:26 PM
omg Lorri you have no idea on how many things I have had over the years and never ever used

I have had a craze for all sorts and then when I get it I use it once and that is it ha
We then have to sell it for half the price because it is taking up valuable room ha

Have to admit the strider is easy and fun and you really do lose your weight if you stick to it even for 15 min every day

angel xx

Spangles
16-01-2008, 02:41 PM
It does look good, I just don't have the space for anything like that here!

I've got one of those steppers that go from side to side (bi-lateral?) just gathering dust under the bed at the moment! The computer on it has given up and I'm just not interested in using it! It's got a short DVD with it but it's way toooooooo boring! Guess it will go on the next carboot we do! Ha ha!

ajs
16-01-2008, 07:46 PM
I have a strider and I lost a lot of weight a few years ago when I used it combined with my diet

This is similar

http://www.simplyfitnessequipment.co.uk/Skiers-Air-Gliders/V-fitGS1DeluxeFoldingGravityStrider

Just wondered if there was much difference in this and a treadmill ?

What do you all think ?

Angel xxx

i must havefood on the brain as i read the link as a deluxefoldinggravystrider

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Trust you Mandy hahaha

Angel xx

ajs
16-01-2008, 07:48 PM
and i am not even on the diets yet as we still have too much christmas stuff left and i need to get rid of it before i can start dieting seriously

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh Mandy no no you need to diet now otherwise it will be Eater soon and you will be saying you have lots of easter eggs

You are making excuses now tut tut

We have lots of chocolates left also - you just have to be strong

AND HUNGRY haha

Angel xx

Monkey1
16-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi Angel, I have a strider and find it brilliant....when i put the effort in. I have also got a leg master which you hold the pole in the middle and then slide your legs on the slider to the sides, bringing your legs back to meet in the middle. This uses your own body weight to tone your muscles and its fantastic!

ajs
16-01-2008, 07:54 PM
sounds to me like a pole dancing pole have you anything to tell monkey xx

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Yeah must admit Monkey I do love my strider and it is the best thing I have invested in - usually gather dust somewhere ha

I have never heard of a leg master sounds like you could do yourself some damage haha

xx

Monkey1
16-01-2008, 07:58 PM
sounds to me like a pole dancing pole have you anything to tell monkey xx

Ha ha...got to keep Mr Hunky Monkey entertained somehow!!!!!!!:D :D

Yes Angel i have to get the hover out to suck up the inch of dust off mine when i have one of my bursts! I have moved it into my lounge to try and get me motirvated!

kelly21
18-01-2008, 01:32 PM
I do use my strider alot now, i got 7 months to my wedding so i have to keep going at it. even if i do 10-15 minutes its something. i find the best time is when i have a programme i really like, like home and away and i go on it the whole length of the programme cause im so involved in whats happening i dont take notice of how long i have been on it, where as if i just put music on and go on it, its like 10 minutes and im bored.