PDA

View Full Version : Afterschool siblings, forgotten how hard it can be!

yummymummy
06-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Haven't covered afterschool for a while now. Got talked into it, have had one sibling for a month and today the other 4 year old one has started too. Cannot believe how the behaviour of the one I've had for a month has changed! They antagonise each other, run wild, shout, tease and non stop tale tell.
Have spent the whole time on behaviour control! when they are together they have no concentration span either, so totally disinterested in doing anything constructive.
Grrrrrrrrrr:angry:
Second one on months contract so will have to see, hope it is first day "trying it on" or I will have to give notice for the first time ever in ten years!
Have remembered why I stopped doing afterschool now! I think the late afternoon is a trying time of the day anyway but my own (well behaved teenagers!) have 1. gone out 2. shut herself in her bedroom to get away from them!
Can't have my own family not feeling comfortable in their own home so hope and pray this is temporary!:panic:

kiddiwinks
06-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Haven't covered afterschool for a while now. Got talked into it, have had one sibling for a month and today the other 4 year old one has started too. Cannot believe how the behaviour of the one I've had for a month has changed! They antagonise each other, run wild, shout, tease and non stop tale tell.
Have spent the whole time on behaviour control! when they are together they have no concentration span either, so totally disinterested in doing anything constructive.
Grrrrrrrrrr:angry:
Second one on months contract so will have to see, hope it is first day "trying it on" or I will have to give notice for the first time ever in ten years!
Have remembered why I stopped doing afterschool now! I think the late afternoon is a trying time of the day anyway but my own (well behaved teenagers!) have 1. gone out 2. shut herself in her bedroom to get away from them!
Can't have my own family not feeling comfortable in their own home so hope and pray this is temporary!:panic:

I know how you feel, i have 2 brothers 8& just gone 5 yesterday the 8 year old since he started school and now his brother since they went back sep.
The 8 year old is golden well manored, well behaved cant fault him. His brother on the other hand is a nightmare come true. He does not listen at all runs round the house like a luni shouting screaming. He ran of today so when i got hold of him i told him to hold the pram he then began pulling pram over, so i grabbed hold of his hand so he just started hitting me saying that he did not like me that he hated me and i was fat and ugly.
I do mention to parents when they collect they tell him but it does not seem to work.

My children go out the way of him, he keeps trying to pull my daughter who is 10 skirt and top up, she says know and i put him on the chair for time out but he still comes of and carries on.

I did think it was just knew so he exited of coming to me with his brother (He has been in private nursary from 4 months) and starting full time school but this is fith week.

I feel feel guilty at the end of the day as all i seem to do is shout and correct him.

I gave him his birthday present today, and he just snatched it of me then walked of, no thanks at all.

sarah707
06-10-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm lucky with my after schoolers at the moment - I have a 5 year old girl, 9 year old boy and 12 year old girl.

I think the key is in the mix though.

If it's not working, be honest with yourself.

You cannot grow to dread each session... and your own children can't feel pushed out ongoing...

I hope next time is better for you xx

ajs
06-10-2008, 05:27 PM
i keep the after schoolies to a minimum for the same reason and my two are 1 just 7 who i have had all of her life and another who started in sept but who is just a little trying at times but generally ok

good luck with this little one
i am sure it will ease with time if you can bear it though

claires
06-10-2008, 07:01 PM
I think I must look after the same children as Kiddiwinks cos they are exactly the same.

Today they were all like they had eaten a bucketful of blue smarties :eek: when they got home from school!! And the noise?????

I have a 20 minute wait from picking the infants up to when the juniors come out so you think they would be a little bit tired from the running about they do then but oh no.........

Glad i only have em til 4.30 most days!!!
xx:)

littletreasures
06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
My afterschoolers were hyper this afternoon too. Wonder what they were all doing at school today.

Had to keep telling them to calm down and quiten down. That was only 2, I've got 6 on Friday!!!! Hope they have calmed down by then

marian
06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
I stopped having after schoolers as my own children grew and 'out grew' them iyswim.
It used to feel like the battle of the somme on some days:laughing:
Marian x

hello kitty
06-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I stopped having after schoolers as my own children grew and 'out grew' them iyswim.
It used to feel like the battle of the somme on some days:laughing:
Marian x

I agree Marian, I just have one girl 9 who has been with me for 4 years and my littlies. Lots of paperwork but more enjoyable than lots of squabbling schoolies. :D

LisaH
06-10-2008, 07:59 PM
I have cut down on after school kids too!! My own DS's are 10,8 and 5 so they are a handful on their own!! LOL

I have my fulltime under 5's and two after school girls, aged 6 and 9, they are both lovely.

Some days its chaotic but I have to admit its my kids causing most of the noise!!

I have made a desision not to take any more after schoolers unless I really need the money. :)

roseybev
06-10-2008, 09:36 PM
ive got 5 over 5the oldest is 10 and i find that if they come in and some homework it passes 30 mins then snacks then they can go outside to play remember to get writen permission i also had to draw a map where the kids go and get the parents to sign for this.some of my kids like doing there dishesafter snack i idear is to keep them busy hope this helps.

merry
06-10-2008, 09:54 PM
I look after sisters aged 5 and 8, and although they're generally well behaved, it's the constant bickering that gets on my nerves. Every few minutes it's, she's looking at me/touching my chair/copying me, every game there are always accusations of cheating/taking turns too fast/too slowly :mad: All my others are either only children or the sibling is a baby, and my own children never did this, it's so irritating.

:)

manjay
06-10-2008, 10:26 PM
I look after 6 after schoolers and don't really have many problems. 3 are brothers who do try it on sometimes but after a mad 2 hours they are all gone home:clapping:

Bushpig
06-10-2008, 10:32 PM
I have my little ones (4 under 4) and will keep it so... more at my level you understand ;)

I hope your next session is better!!!

PixiePetal
06-10-2008, 10:57 PM
I finished with after school mindees in July when my son left primary school. Sad to say goodbye to G aged 9 who I had minded since 8 months but it was time to move on and give my own children space after school in their own home.
Don't miss the after school soaking when the heavens open at about 2.45 every afternoon either :D

Jen

kiddiwinks
07-10-2008, 01:37 PM
I have always had at least 3 afterschool children since starting in 01, I have pretty much enjoyed doing it untill this 5 year old started sep. I am really considering letting him go as he drives me mad, so rude, ive never heard him use his please or thank you once in just over a month. I have to prompt everytime and then i get it less than half.

Saranotts
07-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I am the opposite and have mainly before and after schoolers an average of 8 each session between 5 and 10 years of age and then just one or two lo's each during the day. I really enjoy the after school sessions as I feel we can do more interesting arts and crafts projects and it does keep them busy.

I did have problems at one point when I had three 7 year old girls from the same class, they just constantly bickered and fell out which was awful but one left and things became far easier.

This September I have started looking after 3 brothers and they are still in the excited stage but I am hoping (desperately praying) that they settle down soon, as I don't think my sanity or the house will take much more :eek:

So good luck with your new one.

Sara

yummymummy
07-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Great to know it's not just me! Mum was so desperate for help and to be honest mindees around here are so thin on the ground that I thought i would take them on!
What do they say about act in haste repent at leisure!!!!!
I need to give it some time to see how it goes really, but what concerns me is the change in behaviour of the older one, whilst not a total angel she was very good with the younger ones and had formed a real bond with one who has just left as mum is about to have a new baby. I also think she relished time without her little sister, although I must say it is definitely six of one and half a dozen of the other with them.
Oh well, just have to see how it goes after the month of the pair of them, it can only get better can't it?!:panic:

Wendy Woo
07-10-2008, 03:29 PM
I am finding things are settlein down with my afdter schioolers now!!

My busy days are tue and wed wen i pick up 5!! That with my normal 2or3 under 5 boys!!!!

It was manic until last week really. They would run riot but i seem to have calmed tehm down now. think they realised i was not a push over.

Now the girls are at the table with the dolls and the boys are in the lounge with cars and tv..

I find it very bizzare how they have split up!! they all ahd the choice of wot to do and thats how they split!!!!!

Its great fun i just hope it stays this way and does not go manic again!!!!!!!!!!!!

claires
07-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Just a thought....................... How long would you say it takes them to settle down? I've been havin the same 3 boys for 3 years and they still manic at 3o'clock!!!!!!!:eek:
xx

manjay
07-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Just a thought....................... How long would you say it takes them to settle down? I've been havin the same 3 boys for 3 years and they still manic at 3o'clock!!!!!!!:eek:
xx

:laughing: :laughing: Probably settle down when they leave then!!!!!

Saranotts
07-10-2008, 09:23 PM
xx

Nooooooooooo, don't say that!