PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit

Chimps Childminding
06-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what we should have in our Fist Aid Kit? Can't you tell I'm due an inspection soon!!!!:laughing: just checking mine and throwing all things out that are out of date, to replace them with new ones that I will probably (hopefully) not use!, but can't really find a list of what we should have, every one I have looked at on line is slightly different.

If someone could let me have a copy of their list I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!!!!!:D

PixiePetal
06-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Is there a list then ?

Last inspection before EYFS came in, the inspector just said 'well if you are happy with what you have...'

Jen:)

Chimps Childminding
06-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Not really sure myself Jen, just assumed that there would be an approved list somewhere, but not been able to find it!!!!!! I am sure one of these wonderful ladies will be able to help!!!:D

haribo
06-10-2008, 02:46 PM
just had my inspection today and i just realised after seeing this thread that my first aid kit wasnt even mentioned! i have lots of dressings and bandages, an eye bath, scissors, thermometer, first aid leaflets and i think thats it! x

sarah707
06-10-2008, 02:55 PM
There isn't a definitive list that I'm aware of...

Certainly nothing in the Eyfs stating what you must have.

There are some suggestions here -

http://www.lbcma.org.uk/newsArticles/firstaidKIT.asp

CCJD
06-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Some years ago now(1996) Ofsted ran by a list created and agreed by NCMA, St John Ambulance and the Red Cross. It was the requirement under the Health and Safety (first aid) regualtions 1981 (amended 1990).

My Ofsted Inspector (way back then gave me the list ) and I have kept it in my first aid box ever since: I am sure it is not gospel any more but it is a good starting point:

Adhesive dressings (plasters) - non allergenic x 10
Sterile eye pad x 1
Individually wrapped triangular bandages x 2
Safety Pins x 6
Medium sized sterile dressings x 3
Large sized sterile dressing x 1
Extra large sterile dressing x 1
Hypo-allergic tape
Scissors (round ended)
Tweezers
Sterile Gauze
Latex Gloves
(no creams or antiseptics)

Twinkles
06-10-2008, 05:32 PM
When I did my first aid course the instructor suggested we had two kits , one for OFSTED to inspect that remained intact at all times , and a real one that we actually used.

Pauline
06-10-2008, 05:34 PM
As far as I am aware the current advice is to put in what they suggest on your First Aid course.

But definitely no creams, lotions or potions, tablets etc. :panic:

only hypo-allergenic plasters - with permission to use them. I've got written signed permission in the first aid box so that I can quickly check who can and can't.

CCJD's list sound about right but I'm not sure on the tweezers, certainly don't think you should be using them, and definitely not for removing anything like splinters.

FizzysFriends
06-10-2008, 06:55 PM
I have tweezers in mine, I bought one from Makro and they were in there.

jubilant ju
06-10-2008, 09:10 PM
I am new to all this so soaking up all the info. I have to ask though, why on earth would you not remove a splinter from a screaming child? I am not wanting to sound rude, but this just sounds like things have gone crazy?:panic:

Silverrose
06-10-2008, 09:29 PM
mother care dos a supper one and a babys essentiols care kit to and mothercare is doing a sale to infact hole of town is. all the best SALE :clapping:

roseybev
06-10-2008, 09:46 PM
my officer has never asked to see in mine she asked if i had one. but we up in scotland ive been told to have 1 in the house 1 in the car and i have a small 1 in my bag when i am out .any more and ther wont be room for anything eles:laughing:

Twinkles
06-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I have two in the house , one in the car one in my change bag and a small one in my handbag. So why is it I never have the size of plaster that I want :laughing:

roseybev
06-10-2008, 09:55 PM
i cant remember the last time mine was opened ,but you need to be doing the right thing:laughing:

hello kitty
07-10-2008, 06:21 AM
I agree Pauline, tweezers would be used for an "invasive" procedure like removing a splinter which we just can't do ~ so no tweezers allowed in the kit for cms.

Chimps Childminding
07-10-2008, 01:07 PM
When I did my first aid course the instructor suggested we had two kits , one for OFSTED to inspect that remained intact at all times , and a real one that we actually used.

Sounds good to me!!!!!!!! have sorted through mine, put all out of date things in a box for my guys to use :laughing: and will buy new things for CM box!

Thanks for all your advice girls, didn't think there was a definate list anywhere, but knew you would be the people to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!:clapping:

Chimps Childminding
07-10-2008, 01:10 PM
I bet when I do get inspected if my first aid box is up to date she won't ask to see it (been inspected 3 times before, twice just asked if I had one and where it was kept, once asked to see what was in it), but s**'s law says that I there is anything out of date in there you can bet she will want to have a look inside.:panic:

sarah707
07-10-2008, 01:51 PM
I am new to all this so soaking up all the info. I have to ask though, why on earth would you not remove a splinter from a screaming child? I am not wanting to sound rude, but this just sounds like things have gone crazy?:panic:

Because removing a splinter is an invasive procedure and it's not covered by our first aid training...

We are only insured to carry out first aid covered by what we have been trained.

So you MUST ring the parents if there's a splinter problem.

You CANNOT, however sensible it might seem at the time, take it out with tweezers.

I suppose there is a risk of infection or if the child jerks their arm the risk of something getting poked or if the child screams and refuses they could twist and hurt themselves or someone could hear the kerfuffle and say you were hurting a child (not realising why) ... plus how much pressure would you put on a child who was trying to get away and would this then be classed as restraining a child?

I suppose from the parents point of view as well, they might not want you waving a pair of potentially non-sterile tweezers at their child ... plus they might want to take their child to casualty if they might need an anti tetanus for possible infection control.

Too many risks involved. :(

Pauline
07-10-2008, 02:24 PM
I have tweezers in mine, I bought one from Makro and they were in there.

That would be ok for your family to use but not as a childminder :)

You have to make sure you protect yourself at all times when treating wounds in this age of compensation claims :( Like Sarah says you are not covered on insurance if you do anything that you are not trained for.

Tired
07-10-2008, 03:14 PM
I just finished my first aid course this weekend, and this is what we were told:

you should have: gloves, bandages, non adhesive sterile dressing, trangular bandages, eye pads, hypoallergenic plasters (even though my network co-ordinator insists we must not have plasters) face sheild, first aid booklet, finger bandage.
you could have these, if you want: micropore tape, round edged scissors, water (for travel kits) safety pins
you must not have, tweezers, eye bath, cotton wool buds

but in the end there is no right and wrong really, there are no laws or rules.

hope that helps.

Ripeberry
07-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Wish i'd asked this on my first aid course, but regarding splinters, is it OK if the child is old enough, for the child to remove the splinter especially if its one that would come straight out and does not need "digging".
I know what Ofsted are saying but its common sense to see if it can be brushed out first?

sarah707
07-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Wish i'd asked this on my first aid course, but regarding splinters, is it OK if the child is old enough, for the child to remove the splinter especially if its one that would come straight out and does not need "digging".
I know what Ofsted are saying but its common sense to see if it can be brushed out first?

You are not allowed to use your common sense any more.

It is against the rules. :D

jubilant ju
07-10-2008, 06:24 PM
thank you Sarah and Pauline. It is really useful to hear the do's and don'ts! I am going on my first aid tomorrow and thursday so hopefully I will be a great deal wiser when I have the certificate in my hand! :)