PDA

View Full Version : GMTV

barbarella68
06-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I have just had a phone call from a lady at GMTV,and she wants to do an interview with me next week about Childminding and the down side(EYFS).
and then a group of childminders will meet a Government minister (wonder which one)and a top bod from Ofsted and we can ask questions about the new rules.I can't decide whether to do it or not I will be so nervous and I always feel sick when I am nervous.
Would you do it?:panic:

Minnie mouse
06-10-2008, 12:51 PM
What a great opportunity, its your chance to speak out for all of us childminders and tell ofsted etc what we really think of the eyfs. Im sure everyone will help give you their views on the eyfs so you can speak from most childminders point of view aswell as your own. I know what you mean about nerves but im sure you will be fine x

berkschick
06-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Wow, what a brilliant chance to speak out!

I would go for it.

sarah707
06-10-2008, 12:57 PM
absolutely!

It's a great chance to show how hard we all work :D

PixiePetal
06-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Go for it, we are all behind you. What an opportunity.

Jen

Pipsqueak
06-10-2008, 01:23 PM
that would be brilliant - go for it. You may feel nervous about it but I bet once you get going you will be fine.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Go for it

Won't it be fab that we can show what we do and that we are not sitters

As for telling Ofsted - have a good think about the good EYFS does childminders as well as the bad

Have fun

sue m
06-10-2008, 02:27 PM
No pressure then Alyson!!!!! :D Go for it, it will be great and you will do us proud and feel very proud of yourself! :clapping: Take a tablet if you feel sick!!!! xx

Shirlwith3
06-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I would say go for it. It is about time that us childminders had our say, you hear waht everyone is saying or it is bad news about childminders, I think the nation needs to know what us chidminders have to go though.

Let us know if you go for & how it goes.

Shirl

jellytot
06-10-2008, 03:22 PM
i say go for it, you could even ask other minders for quotes if that would help you

mum22
06-10-2008, 04:08 PM
I think thats great, go for it and shout out loud and proud for the rest of us:thumbsup:

flora
06-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Defo go for it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Speak out loud and proud and show the rest of the country how amazing us childminders are. :blush:

Pauline
06-10-2008, 05:17 PM
They contacted me too, but no way!! :panic:

You can you be our ambassador :thumbsup:

ajs
06-10-2008, 05:22 PM
you ought to ask pauline if she'll sponsor you to see how many times you can mention the forum during the interview

katickles
06-10-2008, 06:34 PM
I would be fab for you to do it but theres no way I could do it :panic:

I remember when I worked at the hotel, sky news were in doing interviews about all the accusations being made about the army (when there were all the alledged suicides), anyway the camera man can with the sound guy ready to shoot, I sware I didn't know if I was going to be sick, faint, wee or poo myself, I just did a runner :blush:

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/21/2155/215587.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

barbarella68
06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
I want to do it but I get all tongue tied,I know what I want to say but it never comes out right.
Perhaps Pauline and myself could do it together,she could whisper me what to say and then I could repeat it.:D

Annie_T
06-10-2008, 08:05 PM
well done hun, go on do it hun, get your point and views across ... nerves will subside i bet once your there x

LisaH
06-10-2008, 08:07 PM
It's a great opportunity but I have to say i wouldnt be able to do it either!!:)

angeldelight
07-10-2008, 06:50 AM
They contacted me too, but no way!! :panic:

You can you be our ambassador :thumbsup:

I wouldnt do it either haha

Good luck if you do it

Angel xx

Annie_T
07-10-2008, 08:25 AM
if anyof you are on netmums they have a thread asking for cm's fro gmtv (just thought id tell you all)

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/showthread.php?t=216251

Pauline
08-10-2008, 07:16 AM
I wonder if they just want childminders who are against EYFS so that they can run a story along the lines of lots of moaning and complaining from us??

I'm not against EYFS, I'm just against Ofsted not clarifying what they want from us! :)

wendywu
08-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Lets send Sarah she can ask them a few questions that they cannot answer.:laughing:

Pauline
08-10-2008, 09:50 AM
I vote we send Buttercup, he would bear his soul :D

Annie_T
08-10-2008, 12:46 PM
dont know this is what the thread on net mums reads (dont know if any could read it from my link)

Are you a childminder about to give up your business because of the regulation and paperwork involved? Or are you a parent who is having to look for a new childminder because you’re current one has had enough of red tape?
GMTV is doing a special report into the crisis in childminding and wants to hear from you.
Get in touch with Miranda on 07966 766 853 or e-mail her on mediarequests@netmums.com

worth a go dont have to be a cm if you notice ... is soemone gonna do it?

Pauline
08-10-2008, 05:10 PM
I can answer 'no' to both questions so they won't want me anyway :)

angeldelight
08-10-2008, 07:07 PM
I vote we send Buttercup, he would bear his soul :D

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If anyone wants to give their view here is the link

http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=31048

Angel xx

marian
08-10-2008, 09:33 PM
I wonder when it will be on tv?
Marian x

Chatterbox Childcare
08-10-2008, 11:27 PM
I have emailed Miranda asking if they are going to show the positives too.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-10-2008, 11:29 PM
I have also sent an email to GMTV too challenging them to put the positives on too

childminder54
08-10-2008, 11:52 PM
is there a positive side too. all ive heard is the number of childminders giving it up no social life no time to spend with there own children too much paper work stressed out minders even the area support office is saying how many have given up so i dont think childminders are thinking this .. schools nurserys have got more thank one person to help one another and to spread work load around not like us doing it on our own .. we are doing more than schools ect. polices they dont do as many as we do that is just one example..do i need to go on..

veronicaxx thats my moan:mad: :mad:

crazybones
09-10-2008, 06:03 AM
is there a positive side too. all ive heard is the number of childminders giving it up no social life no time to spend with there own children too much paper work stressed out minders even the area support office is saying how many have given up so i dont think childminders are thinking this .. schools nurserys have got more thank one person to help one another and to spread work load around not like us doing it on our own .. we are doing more than schools ect. polices they dont do as many as we do that is just one example..do i need to go on..

I think there is a positive side. Yes there is a lot of paperwork without appropriate training but once your paperwork is in place then it is easier. I moan sometimes about doing the paperwork but we are only just starting with some of it and I think because its new there is a fear that we are not doing the right thing as it hasnt fell into place properly yet - sorry if I am not explaining this well. I think the training is the problem for childminders who dont have a site like this to bounce ideas, worries, questions off others and it is scary for them in that respect.

If at the end of the day if by doing the same as nurserys etc, it raises the profile of us as a profession then I am all for it.

Chatterbox Childcare
09-10-2008, 07:17 AM

I think the positive is the great experiences that we are providing children with

okay granted that there is some paperwork to do but I for one didn't get organised before the EYFS and then all of a sudden I had to put into place Risk Assessments, update policies and decide on how to record obs. This was my fault for not looking at it earlier

Now the paperwork is in place it takes me 1 hour per month to plan which I do whilst the children are in bed in the afternoon and obs and assessments which are done whilst the children are playing

I am very lucky that I am accredited and therefore was working with the foundation stage prior to EYFS so I can understand whilst childminders are finding this daunting. Also I have great support from our network and council with training.

Keep at it everyone, it will become clear and easy

Pauline
09-10-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm not finding the work much more time consuming than it was under B23, it was the setting up of the paperwork for EYFS and changing policies that took some time, but now that it is all in order things are just the same. :)

Same with the SEF, it took me quite a while until I was happy with it but now all it will need is the occasional update, all the basic information is in it.

Chatterbox Childcare
11-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Surpirse Surprise GMTV didn't come back to me. Obviously good childminders that actually care for the children of today are not newsworthy!

Cazz
12-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Does anyone know when this is due to be shown? It would be worth a look -can someone let us know if they find out?

Carole x

deb24
17-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Come on girl you can't let them win here's your chance to speak your mind

Helpinghands
21-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Just caught the end of the childminding bit on GMTV.

It was good to hear what she was saying was all me, but do you think something is going to change because of it?!?......Hope so :(

emmadines
21-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I saw it! I have sky+ it too!

its basically stating that the paperwork takes up too much time when we as a childminder need to focus on the children and not the paperwork. (thats my take on it anyway.)

that it takes over our time with our own children and they miss out.
I have to admit that! she also stated that we are not a school or pre school!

Ive tried to find a link to a vid but with no luck I dont mind running a copy of it to people if they want to see it but they will need to provide a dvd disc but Im sure it will end up on their web site soon enough.

barbarella68
21-10-2008, 09:05 AM
I actually read Debbies post as all Childminders who agree with the EYFS are good Childminders,does that mean that the rest who don't agree are rubbish Childminders or did I just read that wrong?:(
Just because I don't agree with the paperwork side,doesn't mean I don't have the childrens best interests at heart after all if we all thought the same this world would be so boring and there would be no place for this site as we would all agree on how to do things and not ask advice.:D
They did this to show that Childminders don't agree with the extra work,next time it probably will be for Childminders who agree with the extra work,so then you can have your say then:)

crazybones
21-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I actually read Debbies post as all Childminders who agree with the EYFS are good Childminders,does that mean that the rest who don't agree are rubbish Childminders or did I just read that wrong?:(
Just because I don't agree with the paperwork side,doesn't mean I don't have the childrens best interests at heart after all if we all thought the same this world would be so boring and there would be no place for this site as we would all agree on how to do things and not ask advice.:D
They did this to show that Childminders don't agree with the extra work,next time it probably will be for Childminders who agree with the extra work,so then you can have your say then:)

I dont think Debbie meant that at all. I think she just wants a balanced view of the EYFS and childminders and GMTV was pretty one sided. I think a valid point the lady made was that we dont know what Ofsted want ie how many obs per day/week/month etc. What they didnt do by showing the woman going unregistered was mention that she will not be covered by insurance, first aid etc. The programme was too short to show a balanced view and I hope someone will pick up on it and show what we really do.

I do agree that there is more paperwork but I for one am certainly not up until midnight doing it - I am still getting it into place to work for me and once I am happy with it then I will spend less time on it.

angeldelight
21-10-2008, 09:43 AM

I understand your points and agree with some

But we should only really be doing what we were already doing in the first place - just writing it down now instead

Do you remember the days when you used to tell the parent that X had taken a first step - well now you will just be writing it down

We do not need to have heaps of paper work or get stressed about it

If we keep it simple it should in reality only be a little more extra work for us

Angel xx

barbarella68
21-10-2008, 09:54 AM
I totally agree with you Angel,Ofsted is the main reason people are stressed with this why can't they just talk in English,and tell us exactly what they want us to do!:(

angeldelight
21-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I totally agree with you Angel,Ofsted is the main reason people are stressed with this why can't they just talk in English,and tell us exactly what they want us to do!:(

Well thats why we have the forum

Most of us speak in simple English - I think ha :laughing:

Angel xx