PDA

View Full Version : district council kitchen inspection

Nikki's stars
06-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Has anyone had a visit from their local district council to inspect their kitchen? :( I've just had a call from mine saying they want to come tomorrow - she sounded really fed up and said she was busy and we just have to 'get this out of the way'. What are they going to look at! :panic:

Nikki x

melanieabigail2004
06-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Have you got hold of the 'Safer Food Better Business' pack yet.

If not you can download it from here or request a copy be sent (comes with a nice folder!)

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/sfbbcaterers/

I had it but hadn't worked through it and my inspector made this an action plan on my assessment.

They will want to see you use a temp probe, use different boards for different foods, that you log your fridge/freezer temps and hot food temps. That will want to hear that you use anti bac to wipe down your surfaces with paper towels and that you use paper towel to dry your hands off.

They will want to know if you are aware of the correct temp for hot food (say 71 degreess - its over the required figure by my husband who is a chef says thats the best number to go by).

Hope this helps a bit

Mel

sarah707
06-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Good advice already given there!

Just wanted to say good luck :D

singlewiththree
06-10-2008, 06:11 PM
OK where do we get temp probes from? I bought a fridge thermometer from ebay but have done a quick search and cant find any there. I have a red/green and white chopping board do we really need yellow and brown too?

PaulaW

sarah707
06-10-2008, 06:30 PM
OK where do we get temp probes from? I bought a fridge thermometer from ebay but have done a quick search and cant find any there. I have a red/green and white chopping board do we really need yellow and brown too?

PaulaW

There are lots of different ones... here's one on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Taylors-Witness-Digital-Temperature-Probe/dp/B0000DC3NH

Bushpig
06-10-2008, 09:03 PM
How many different boards do we need?

Bread/dry produce
Meat
Veg/fruit

3 enough?

merry
06-10-2008, 09:57 PM
At my last inspection I had one for meat, one for veg and fruit and one for bread and that was fine. I don't think it really matters in a domestic kitchen what colours they are as long as they're different and you know which is which.

:)

roseybev
06-10-2008, 10:05 PM
sorry we dont have this in scotland yet thankfully.we had to go on a food course though .will look in fridge cooked meat awy from fresh she may ask about pets and if you cook for the kids or just re heat and if you keep there pack lunches in fridge hope this might help.:)

Bushpig
06-10-2008, 10:12 PM
At my last inspection I had one for meat, one for veg and fruit and one for bread and that was fine. I don't think it really matters in a domestic kitchen what colours they are as long as they're different and you know which is which.

:)

Merry, you and I were on the same wavelength :)

Nikki's stars
07-10-2008, 01:08 PM
:mad: am cross! My kitchen inspection didnt take place today as she was running late! She cancelled 5 mins before my appointment. Thank you for all your tips they will be handy when she does visit

Nikki xx