PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted/childcare qualification

hbomb1
06-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Good morning all,

Last week when the inspector was here, he asked me whether or not I had any childcare qualifications, which which I have none. (Got loads of NVQs already for business studies, business management and IT though!!) He said that by 2010 all childminders must hold a childcare qualification.

Does anybody know which qualification Ofsted will be expecting us to have?

I have just been looking at OU courses (most of which have already begun) but then wondered if an NVQ would be more appropriate. I don't want to shell out hundreds of pounds on courses if I don't need to. Whichever course I decide to do, I want it to help me to get a job in the local school one day too.

DudleyChildmind
06-10-2008, 10:46 AM
I think that might be the NVQ3 in Childcare :)

Pipsqueak
06-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I thought Offy dropped it to a level 2 - but I would say either go for the Diploma in Homebased Childcare or the NVQ 3 CCLD - both Level 3 qualifications

hbomb1
06-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Thank you to you both.

Will make some enquiries with regards to courses. Not done any form of studying for over 10 years :panic:

Tatia
06-10-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree with Pip, either Level 3 in Homebased Childcare or NVQ 3 in Children's Care, Learning and Development.

Open U qualifications are more academic and NVQs more vocational (and cheaper, I think, too) so it just depends on what you are after. I've enjoyed both lot of courses for different reasons.:)

Pipsqueak
06-10-2008, 11:02 AM
The DHC is a nice way to ease into studying , the NVQ I think is a little more in depth but managable all the same.

Lots of help and advice on here. You will be fine

DudleyChildmind
06-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Thank you to you both.

Will make some enquiries with regards to courses. Not done any form of studying for over 10 years :panic:

I started the NVQ3 CCLD last Thursday and I haven't done anything like this since I left school in 1975. I was told it's a lot of work but I'm sure you will be fine. Also, you might be able to get funding like I did :)

sarah1977
06-10-2008, 11:12 AM
i am part way through a dhc and am really enjoying it i have to attend 15 sessions (2 hours on a monday evening ) and study the rest in my own time. i have not had to pay for it , has been funded by ncma . if anyone gets the chance to do it go for it !!

Bushpig
06-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes to both courses mentioned above.

I am currently doing the Diploma in Homebased Childcare, sponsored by my borough, and it's going well, albeit me starting off slowly! I also hadn't studies since I got my Graphic Design degree in 1995... so it took a little getting used to. :)

melanieabigail2004
06-10-2008, 12:03 PM
I've just received funding for NVQ Level 3 in early years childcare learning and development. Starts in Jan and could take anywhere between 6 -12 months depending on how quickly I get my evidence into my portfolio

Mel:)

hello kitty
06-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Helen, I think your inspector was wrong. :eek:

In the EYFS (somewhere) it does say early years providers need a qualification but it excludes childminders. I am sure SarahNev knows exactly where it is though!

gilly01270
06-10-2008, 12:21 PM
think i have just read an update stating they would like most childminders to have level 2. ive done 3 though and it was funded by local authority.g x

Pipsqueak
06-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Here it is document from Offy Changes to Registration
point CR4.2
Childminders and home carers must have successfully completed a:
qualification at a minimum of level 2 in an area of work relevant to childcare
OR
training in the core skills as set out in the document "common core of skills and knowledge fior the childrens workforce"

this covers the voluntary part of the childcare register

sarah707
06-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Here it is document from Offy Changes to Registration
point CR4.2
Childminders and home carers must have successfully completed a:
qualification at a minimum of level 2 in an area of work relevant to childcare
OR
training in the core skills as set out in the document "common core of skills and knowledge fior the childrens workforce"

this covers the voluntary part of the childcare register

This is the one!!!

It's not for younger children though... only if you mind the older children on the older register!

This is not an Eyfs regulation... it's on the other document! :D

Chatterbox Childcare
06-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Helen, I think your inspector was wrong. :eek:

In the EYFS (somewhere) it does say early years providers need a qualification but it excludes childminders. I am sure SarahNev knows exactly where it is though!

From talk over the last 2 years I think that it is coming

As for the cost, speak to your local Surestart and I am sure there will be money there. We have ours 100% funded on some courses

hbomb1
06-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I have spoken to my CDO and she has advised that ofsted have back pedalled on this as it used to be a level 3 which was required but it is now a L2. She also confirmed that they have funding for all childminders who wish to complete the DHC, and that it is a academic two year course and held at the local college every Weds evening. Alternatively, I could study through NEC but she advises CMs to attend the evening classes.

The inspector did say we need a qualification by 2010 but he didn't give a specific date. Also, my DD playgroup leader is currently studying a L4 and she has recently been advised that by 2012 she will need a level 6 :eek: She told me that she would close the playgroup if it came to that!

Rasharoon
06-10-2008, 06:50 PM
It's not for younger children though... only if you mind the older children on the older register!

This is not an Eyfs regulation... it's on the other document! :D

Possibly a really dumb question but they say 'older children', what age is older? Are we talking 8 and over or older than that?

sarah707
06-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Age - 0 – 5 ... Early Years Register

Age - 5 – 7 ... Compulsory Childcare Register

Age - 8 plus ... Voluntary Childcare Register

The new regulations... to answer the question here about having to get a level 2 qualification by 2011, are for the childcare register (both parts).

The only qualifications needed for the Eyfs are an introduction to childminding course and an up-to-date first aid certificate... as things stand at the moment and as things are written in the Eyfs.

Not a daft question... it's blooming complicated.

Hope this clarifies :D

Rasharoon
06-10-2008, 07:16 PM
So if you mind children before and after school who are 5 and over (both parts of the childcare register), what would happen if you didn't achieve the qualification Ofsted are asking for?

sarah707
06-10-2008, 07:46 PM
So if you mind children before and after school who are 5 and over (both parts of the childcare register), what would happen if you didn't achieve the qualification Ofsted are asking for?

All the children will be gathered up and put into an institution called a school where they will receive ongoing education from 8 am to 6 pm until they are 22 years of age.

After that age they will be encouraged to leave education and find themselves useful employment. They will not receive any benefits because the govt will have gone bust from lending money to banks back in the 2008s.

Nobody will be allowed to drink alcohol any more or smoke cigarettes because big brother will outlaw anything which causes long term illness. This will however cause a huge revenue issue because they will not be getting money from taxing alcohol or cigarettes and they will have an ageing healthier population and no money in the coffers for pensions.

:huh:

crazybones
06-10-2008, 07:52 PM
All the children will be gathered up and put into an institution called a school where they will receive ongoing education from 8 am to 6 pm until they are 22 years of age.

After that age they will be encouraged to leave education and find themselves useful employment. They will not receive any benefits because the govt will have gone bust from lending money to banks back in the 2008s.

Nobody will be allowed to drink alcohol any more or smoke cigarettes because big brother will outlaw anything which causes long term illness. This will however cause a huge revenue issue because they will not be getting money from taxing alcohol or cigarettes and they will have an ageing healthier population and no money in the coffers for pensions.

:huh:

:eek: They are going to take my wine away :panic: