PDA

View Full Version : How do you?

Minnie mouse
06-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi i just wanted to know How everyone manages childrens behaviour in the car to stop you from being distracted whuilst driving?
Thanks

DudleyChildmind
06-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Fortunately I don't have that problem very often but I'd ask them to be quiet where possible or just turn the radio up :laughing:

katickles
06-10-2008, 10:51 AM
I've never had behaviour problems in the car tbh, but in saying that mine are all littlies really.

Sorry, no help there at all was I!?!?!

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/21/2155/215587.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

Pipsqueak
06-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Any specific behaviours in mind?

Never really had a problem with behaviour in the car.
Children get in, get strapped in to relevant seat and away we go.

If they are getting too noisy or rowdy then I ask them to stop.
I have no qualms about stopping the car and telling them off - generally though they get instruction about what is acceptable and not before we set of. I have only had to ever stop the car twice.

Nikki's stars
06-10-2008, 11:15 AM
How about trying a sing-a-long cd in the car to distract! Play one that they all know and have a sing-a-long instead of shouting matches!

Nikki x x

Andrea08
06-10-2008, 12:03 PM
im like pisqueak, but i have put small toys in the car like a magic mark board,
books, cd toy steering wheel

good luck x

donnahay0
06-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I would do what Nikki says and play music and have a sing along. Alternatively you could get them looking out of the window for something in particular or say Oh look did you see that squirrel or whatever.

Pipsqueak
06-10-2008, 12:36 PM
im like pisqueak, but i have put small toys in the car like a magic mark board,
books, cd toy steering wheel

good luck x

I suppose it depends on what ages you have with you -
for the younger ones i have a few toys, older kids I have colouring pencils and paper, couple of books and magazine.
We do have the sing - a - longs, I Spy, I can see... can you...., count the red cars games.
The older ones just generally chat between themselves.

The instruction I give - you cannot take your seatbelts of until the car is stopped and handbrake on or I tell you to, can't get out till I tell you its ok. No rude gestures out the windows (looked after one lad who loved to do this:rolleyes: ), no licking the windows (same lad:rolleyes: ), don't bounce around in the car and no screaming/shouting/loud sudden noises (I hate this).

Twinkles
06-10-2008, 12:39 PM
im like pisqueak, but i have put small toys in the car like a magic mark board,books, cd toy steering wheel

good luck x

I have three of these in the car , the little ones like them and so do the afterschoolers.

Minnie mouse
06-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all your replys. I was thinking i spy games and sing songs but wouldnt this be classed as a distraction whilst driving, if im playing i spy with the kids and singing songs lol? its a question for a risk assessment for the car. How do you manage behaviour childrens behaviour in the car to stop me from being distracted whilst driving.

Minnie mouse
06-10-2008, 12:47 PM
No rude gestures out the windows (looked after one lad who loved to do this:rolleyes: ), [QUOTE]

Lol thanks pipsqueak you just gave me my first and only chuckle of the day. :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
06-10-2008, 01:31 PM
No rude gestures out the windows (looked after one lad who loved to do this:rolleyes: ), [QUOTE]

Lol thanks pipsqueak you just gave me my first and only chuckle of the day. :thumbsup:

Will give you another one - got followed into Morrisons carpark and told of by the man who was behind us!!! I was mortified

Minnie mouse
06-10-2008, 03:15 PM
OMG how rude :panic: I hate drivers like that lol x did you return hin the favour? Rofl