PDA

View Full Version : contract for unborn baby?

butterfly
06-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Right, the parents have visited and are happy to sign with me for their baby due in feb not starting till oct 09! (I haven't got a place till then)

i was going to do a normal ncma contract with hours required and details of deposit paid but what should i put under child's name? baby Surname? ie 'Baby Williams' then i could fill in the other details after the birth?

or should i make up my own contract just this time to include details - it could be a seperate contract for unborn babies!!

what do you think?

sarahstanbridge
06-10-2008, 10:18 AM
can you do contract for unborn child? i didnt think you could do a contract and take a deposit for a child thats not yet born. i may be wrong some one on here will know.

sarah1977
06-10-2008, 11:24 AM
i was asked to childmind a baby before it had been born and parents where keen to sign contracts etc. i was sure i had read not too do anything until the baby had been born . i kept in close touch with her throughout her pregnancy and visited when the baby wasborn .when baby was about 3 weeks old she came round and we signed contract etc i was lucky that it came off in the end. i have looked through the ncma handbook on page76 it does say we shouldnt take retainer fees for unborn babies ,but i suppose you could state on a contract that they have so many days after the baby has been born to pay their deposit to secure a place x x x

Lou
06-10-2008, 11:36 AM
I definatly wouldnt take any money or sign a contract for a baby that isnt born yet.

Im not sure what the exact rules are, i know you cant accept a retainer but i dont think you should take deposit either.

Anything could happen between now and then.

I would agree with parents that you will keep in touch through pregnancy and visit when baby is born, if they still want you then do all paperwork etc then.

butterfly
06-10-2008, 04:17 PM
ahh! thanks for your replies! when i asked about this yesterday everyone seemed to think this was ok!! i don't know what to do now! my space isn't available till september anyway so i'm not losing out by taking a deposit (as long as this is ok)

miss mopple
06-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Definately shouldn't do a contract for an unborn child. I would wait until its born and then sort things out.

littletreasures
06-10-2008, 07:02 PM
I would wait until the baby is about 6 weeks old before doing a contract and asking for a deposit.

It is not recommended to take a deposit or retainer until the baby is born.

I had somebody come to see me in June when baby was 2 weeks old wanting care from September 2009. I told them to come back and see me in April next year when I will do contracts with them and I will then ask for a retainer.

I will give them the option though to do something before if I have another enquiry for Sept 09.

berkschick
06-10-2008, 07:09 PM
I too wouldnt do a contract for an unborn baby.

I would maybe type up a letter stating that you will save the place for their baby and that you will do contracts and take a deposit once the baby is 6 weeks old.

roseybev
06-10-2008, 09:40 PM
no i would not do it wait till baby is born and she ready to come and see you again then you can do contract and talk money to keep place open for her anything can go wrong she may not want to go back after all.

angeldelight
07-10-2008, 06:42 AM
I too wouldnt do a contract for an unborn baby.

I would maybe type up a letter stating that you will save the place for their baby and that you will do contracts and take a deposit once the baby is 6 weeks old.

I would do the same

Explain the deposit is not refundable if she changes her mind

That way you know where you stand

Good luck

Angel xx

butterfly
07-10-2008, 09:26 AM
thanks everyone! I can't find anything that makes it illegal to do a contract before the baby is born. I've spoken to the parents and they are very keen to sign a contract and give me a deposit for their own piece of mind. I have explained that their deposit is non refundable if for any reason they change their mind and they are totally happy with this.

I think i will just write them a letter stating that I am holding the place for them but that we will sign contracts nearer the time. i am going to take a deposit as that protects me incase they change their mind and i have to advertise the place however I would definately refund it if they gave me more than a couple of months or if something (God forbid) happened to the baby.