PDA

View Full Version : deposits for unborn babies

butterfly
05-10-2008, 08:59 AM
am i right in thinking i can't take a deposit for an unborn baby?

i have a couple coming tomorrow looking for a place from next september for their baby who is due in feb. it's ok as sept is when my ratios will change as my dd will be going to school giving me an extra space for an under five.

what should i ay to them? can nurseries take deposits for unborn babies?

sarah707
05-10-2008, 09:42 AM
These are the rules...

Deposits vs retainers

A deposit is – the parent and childminder decide when a place is available / required and the parent pays a one-off payment to hold the place open until then. The deposit is repaid to the parent out of the first month’s fees. If the place becomes unavailable or the terms are changed, the childminder must, by law, refund the full deposit. If the parent decides they don’t want the place, the childminder keeps the money.

A retainer is usually half normal fees and may be charged if a place is immediately available but a parent does not want to take it for a while. Retainers are for the childminder to keep unless the place is not available when the parent wants it, in which case they must be repaid in full. You cannot charge a retainer on an unborn baby.

butterfly
05-10-2008, 10:26 AM
so i could take a deposit to hold the place i will have in september open for the baby?

sarah707
05-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Looks that way!

Good luck :D

miffy
05-10-2008, 01:49 PM
I agree with Sarah but you could charge a retainer fee for the baby once it's been born provided you have a place available at that time

Miffy xx