PDA

View Full Version : Picky parent enquiry - what do u do?

Mollymop
04-10-2008, 04:14 PM
I have just had an enquiry. I was happy with the amount of children I have at the moment, but the enquiry fits in well and the money will come in handy

But the longer I am a childminder the more picky I get when it comes to enquiries...

I have had quite a few enquiries int he past month and I have turned them down, even though I could help, because I didn't want to work that early, or didn't want a 6 month old to look after, or because the parent seemed weird and booked me and another childminder at the same time for a visit, you know.

Anyway, the little girl is 2.5 and has been with another childminder since she was a small baby, the childmnder had to give up and so the little one went to a nursery because none of us could help at the time.
Mum said that she loves nursery but SHE would prefer a childminder, as she would get more attention - fair enough.
Mum then said that she is with a childminder temporarily at the moment and the little girl loves her very much but sometimes when she picks her up her hair is coming out of her pigtails and she has a runny nose.
Also she said she keeps phoning the first childminder (the ones she was with for ages) to ask when she will be working again!!

Thing is I find all this off putting. I make sure all the kiddies are well looked after, of course and they are all clean and tidy when they go home, but I get the impression she will hit the roof if the little one gets paint on her trousers or muddy knees, do you see what I mean? Also, will I always be second best until the childminder who used to have her becomes re-registered (this won't happen for a good year) and then she will take her away from me back to her?

She is coming to see me on Wednesday, and even though me and parent clicked on the phone I still have worries about this one

Would you?

miffy
04-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Personally I would meet her and talk things over with her including all your concerns like paint on trousers etc then see how you feel.

It sounds as though this mum had a lovely arrangement with her previous childminder and was sad it ended - she might be nit-picking with the others or she might just be like that anyway but I think you'll have a better idea once you've talked to her face to face

Miffy xx

MissTinkerbell
04-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi sandra

I'd say go with your instincts on this one. If you're not happy and arte happy with the amount of children you have then say 'no'. Sounds as though no one will be able to meet the standards of the first childminder and do you really want the hassle.

At then end of the day its your decision but I think that I'd be inclined to say no.