PDA

View Full Version : Help me with this dilemma....

LittleStars
04-10-2008, 08:44 AM
I recently had a disaster with a new mindee who I had to give notice too after 3 weeks...lots of problems, really late payment, late drop offs, really rude dad, strange restrictions placed on where I could take her etc. Was a nightmare.... SO glad to be out of it!

So my new ethos is....I interview the parents and I only take children of lovely parents (all children are lovely in their own way but what makes minding easy and most enjoyable is nice parents to go with the lovely children!)

Now I had the most lovely lady come to see me yesterday with an adorable little girl to see about my 3 day vacancy. Now it all went well and she was really keen...the problem is she only wants 6 hours a day from 9.00-3.30 on those 3 days and she only wants term time only (I can't charge her a retainer for hols as they are skint and on benefits, she is working at a nursery to get her nvq and will be paying me more than she earns at nursery) Also as the LO turns 3 in January she will most likely start the school nursery so I will only have her 3 days 11.30-3.30......

She will be taking 3 full days space for just a few hours.

My heart says yes.....she was lovely and less money but to be happy is an acceptable compromise.

My head says...NO NO NO that I will resent her as she will mean I can't fill that space and will lose potentially £1000s a year. The real problem will be when she starts school nursery and the hours drop so dramatically.

I already have 2 small children of my own so don't have many spaces and already have 2 very part timers who drive me mad as I hardly get any money from them.

If you were me would you hold out and wait for a full dayer (there is no shortage of people looking round here) or should I go with my heart and worry about January in January!!!!

Jules27
04-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Oh dear only you can decide on that one. Now this lady and partner may be skint but sorry lovely as they are, thats not your problem. You are running a business not a charity! If as you say here is no shortage of people looking for full time spaces then you need to be looking for one of those, regular money which will pay your bills! may sound harsh, but don't let your heart rule your head on this one, unless you are in a position where income from childminding is just extra cash?

Twinkles
04-10-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm sorry but I think you need to listen to your head on this one.
Your places are very limited and I think you would come to resent the arrangement after a while.
If it helps to look at it like this, you could do so much more for your own children if you saved the place for someone who would earn you a decent amount of money.

sue m
04-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I agree with Jules and Twinkles on this one. I have the same as you, lovely parents, fabulous kids and they are here for about 6 hours a day, 3 days a week which gives me £99 per week. This is fine for me cos I'm 56 years old and seriously don't think I could do anymore hours than I'm doing but, if I was young, I'd think seriously about it cos they are taking up hours in the middle of the day for a short time when you could have more money with a full timer. :)

angeldelight
04-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Difficult one

I have done this then regretted it

I think only you can decide what to do really

You might not get any more calls for a while and might regret not doing it - there again you might regret saying yes if you do

Cant they get tax credits to pay for their minding ?

Angel xx

berkschick
04-10-2008, 10:00 AM
If they are that skint they will be entitled to tax credits to help with the childcare costs.

Personally, I would not take it on. January isnt too far away. You will just settle her in and then maybe have to give her notice due to the reduced hours.

Chatterbox Childcare
04-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Why not be straight with mum and say that whilst you are happy to do the longer hours, the shorter ones don't suit and offer her a short term contract until Jan?

She may surprise you and come for that time

manjay
04-10-2008, 11:49 AM
I did something similar to this earlier this year and really did resent it in the end. I didn't have many mindees and so took on a 3 year old who was only with me before and after school. I wasn't really fussed at the beginning but as time went on I realised I would never do it again. Luckily it was only for a few months so not much harm done.

I would think seriously about it but only you can decide.

Good luck xx

sarah707
04-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Don't do anything you might grow to resent later.

LittleStars
04-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Why not be straight with mum and say that whilst you are happy to do the longer hours, the shorter ones don't suit and offer her a short term contract until Jan?

She may surprise you and come for that time

Thanks, I rang mum today and said that I thought her and the lo were great and that I would be more than happy to have her for the school hours but that I needed to be upront and that once she went to school nursery it wasn't enough hours and I just couldn't take her on.

She was LOVELY and totally ok about it. Said she was upset but she could see exactly what I was saying and that could I have her LO if she needs me to for the school hours until either she finds someone or I have someone wanting the space.

So win win situation really :)

Thanks for helping me get it in perspective
Jen x

Jules27
04-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Glad you have it sorted, well done! Must be a real weight off your mind! Now enjoy the rest of the weekend! x:)

Chatterbox Childcare
04-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks, I rang mum today and said that I thought her and the lo were great and that I would be more than happy to have her for the school hours but that I needed to be upront and that once she went to school nursery it wasn't enough hours and I just couldn't take her on.

She was LOVELY and totally ok about it. Said she was upset but she could see exactly what I was saying and that could I have her LO if she needs me to for the school hours until either she finds someone or I have someone wanting the space.

So win win situation really :)

Thanks for helping me get it in perspective
Jen x

Excellent news - always best to be honest and then you feel happier in yourself and parents appreciate it

I am sure the full timer for January is just around the corner.

Heaven Scent
04-10-2008, 11:31 PM
If they are that skint do they not get childcare element tax credits which should pay 80% of your fees which should cover you for school hols as well