PDA

View Full Version : Esther versus the PC brigade

buildingblocks
03-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Did anyone see The Esther Rantzen programme that was on Esther versus the PC brigade

They basically did an experiment where they put a child in a shopping centre who acted being lost without parent. 1,817 people passed by and only 5 stopped to offer help.

I am horrified by these figures. I know we live in a world where we have to be so careful and in a way I can understand men not wanting to help (yes I know women abuse as well) but I am so shocked by how little people helped. One man had gone to find the centre manager to help but the only thing I could think was by the time he came back with someone, anyone could have walked off with the child, surely finding a member of staff in a shop nearby would have been quicker.

crazybones
03-10-2008, 08:32 PM
That is scary. I didnt see it but it does make me think about the Jamie Bulger murder which was just up the road from here. I wonder how many people saw him crying with those boys and didnt step in and what do they feel like now.

PixiePetal
03-10-2008, 08:35 PM
I watched it and was horrified.

I too would have gone into nearest shop and got them to call manager, or would send another passer by to do it while I waited.

Couldn't walk by but you have to be so careful.

Jen

ajs
03-10-2008, 08:48 PM
i was in ikea leeds the other day and a little boy was sobbing i took hold of his hand and told him we'd wait where we were and see if mummy came to look for him she was there in seconds but it did surprise me that no body stopped for him before i got to him.
maybe it's because we're carers by nature that means we would automatically stop or a crying child but loads of people won't get involved

LOOPYLISA
03-10-2008, 09:05 PM
I wouldnt even think twice about stopping and helping a child, i think the world has gone mad:panic:

Tatia
04-10-2008, 06:57 AM
No, it wouldn't cross my mind NOT to stop and help either. I've done it several times when I see children crying. Mot people are just so oblivious.

I think AJS is right in that we car for children so we are highly tuned into their needs and can spot a distressed child at 50 yards and we've all been trained one or another to keep them safe.

I didn't see the progam but I'm not surprised. My DD went missing at ASDA (thanks to hubby in he biscuit aisle:angry: ) for at least 5 minutes and noone noticed a 2 year old walking about on her own.:rolleyes:

ajs
04-10-2008, 07:31 AM
i was out shopping yesterday and this mum was getting increasingly distressed calling for her child the child was playing hide and seek and i could see her so called mum and told her where she was
the mum then proceeded to knock 9 bells out of the poor child and shouted so loudly that people stopped to stare.

i wish i hadn't said anything now

charleyfarley
04-10-2008, 07:31 AM
It's in our nature to help a distressed child, I've stopped several times when I've seen a child on there own, yes you have to be careful now a days but I would never forgive myself if something happened to that child because I hadn't done anything to help.

Charley got lost in Tescos last year, well her dad walked off and left her stood there. Anyway she just stood where she was and screamed out, of course I went running, no one helped her and dad well he was oblivious to it all.
Must admit I did moan at him for leaving her like that, his excuse was he hadn't even realised I'd gone to fetch something.

Carol xx

mandy moo
04-10-2008, 07:42 AM
I had to take a 4yr old Nursery child to school office yesterday, coz mum 'forgot him' :eek:
He himself told me he ran up the playgroundaway from the gate (where I found him)and she didnt miss him!! :eek:
I left him at office and had a brief chat with a teacher & went home, on the way I saw her and stopped (She lives at the bottom of the hill, the next road just down from me), she was talking to a neighbour when I stopped and said oh you've got him then? When the daughter piped up with (shes year 4) we went to the bank and the shop before mum realised he wasnt with us!!
Mum just laughed..

angeldelight
04-10-2008, 07:50 AM
That is terrible I missed the programme though

A few weeks ago I was in city centre and there was a little girl wandering around alone
I stopped and watched her because she did not seem to be with any one
She was crying and seemed distressed

We went over to her and I had a chat with her so not to scare her
She said she was 4 and had lost mommy
I asked her to look around to see if we could spot her

We stood like that for about 10 min - I had decided to stand there for 15 min incase the parents backtracked once they noticed she had gone

Anyway this woman came over - said " You naughty girl "
Grabbed her hand and dragged her away

I was gobsmacked

No thank you to us - no hugs for the child

Then we saw them again a few min later - the mother was chatting away to friends and the little girl was a fair way behind them so more than likely would have got lost again

Our shopping centre on a Saturday is very busy - I have lost my grown up daughters many a time

Do parents not think ?

Angel xx

angeldelight
04-10-2008, 07:51 AM
I had to take a 4yr old Nursery child to school office yesterday, coz mum 'forgot him' :eek:
He himself told me he ran up the playgroundaway from the gate (where I found him)and she didnt miss him!! :eek:
I left him at office and had a brief chat with a teacher & went home, on the way I saw her and stopped (She lives at the bottom of the hill, the next road just down from me), she was talking to a neighbour when I stopped and said oh you've got him then? When the daughter piped up with (shes year 4) we went to the bank and the shop before mum realised he wasnt with us!!
Mum just laughed..

Omg thats so bad

Parents are to blame a lot of the time

Angel xx

flora
04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
I watched this and was horrified at the number of people that just walked past. :eek:

I asked my hubbie and his friend what would they do in those circumstances, they both said that sadly they would call security but that for self protection they wouldn't approach a child on their own.

I said I wouldn't hesitate and his reply was " well you always do rush in and then deal with the consequences later!!!" :panic:

He also surprised me by saying that he avoided being with a particular mindee :eek: He says that as she can lie through her teeth and make it sound so convincing he feels it's best that he is never around when she is. Until now I hadn't given it much thought :blush:

Schnakes
05-10-2008, 08:49 AM
God AJS - did you say anything?? I would have..but then Im a right interfering old mare!! :angry:

I was in Tesco the other morning and this wee laddie was crying his eyes out so I went up to him and of course, he had lost his mum. As we were walking around looking for his mum he said to me that she would often "run off to teach me not to get lost" and when we couldnt find her for ages he said "can we make sure the cars still there - she might have driven off without me". Poor kid. He was only six. How upsetting for him.

Ive seen him in the playground recently and his behaviour is pretty wild. Totally understandable when the parents behave like that. :panic:

Sx

Pipsqueak
05-10-2008, 09:13 AM
God AJS - did you say anything?? I would have..but then Im a right interfering old mare!! :angry:

I was in Tesco the other morning and this wee laddie was crying his eyes out so I went up to him and of course, he had lost his mum. As we were walking around looking for his mum he said to me that she would often "run off to teach me not to get lost" and when we couldnt find her for ages he said "can we make sure the cars still there - she might have driven off without me". Poor kid. He was only six. How upsetting for him. Ive seen him in the playground recently and his behaviour is pretty wild. Totally understandable when the parents behave like that. :panic:

Sx

OMG - how awful, I am appalled. What a nasty parent and that makes me soooo angry.:angry: What on earth is that parent thinking of.
I momentarily lost site of my 8yr old in town yesterday (we were in the market place where an event was going on), my 10yr old went in one direction round the crowd and I went the other way - thankfully my 8yr old had the sense to stay where he was but the look on his face was pure panic. This was a matter of less than a minute but the relief I felt when I saw him.

crazybones
05-10-2008, 09:18 AM
OMG - how awful, I am appalled. What a nasty parent and that makes me soooo angry.:angry: What on earth is that parent thinking of.
I momentarily lost site of my 8yr old in town yesterday (we were in the market place where an event was going on), my 10yr old went in one direction round the crowd and I went the other way - thankfully my 8yr old had the sense to stay where he was but the look on his face was pure panic. This was a matter of less than a minute but the relief I felt when I saw him.

I know what you mean - that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when they disappear from sight for a couple of seconds and that feeling of relief when you see them again brings tears to your eyes. I was horrified on holiday at the amount of children the same age as William running around the pool with armbands on while the parents lay on the loungers with a book. One of us were always with Will near the pool, glued to him. I wouldnt even let his grandparents take him to the pool because I know how fast a 2 year old can move compared to them.

RedDragon
05-10-2008, 09:23 AM
i was out shopping yesterday and this mum was getting increasingly distressed calling for her child the child was playing hide and seek and i could see her so called mum and told her where she was
the mum then proceeded to knock 9 bells out of the poor child and shouted so loudly that people stopped to stare.

i wish i hadn't said anything now

Gosh, that brings back memories - the same happened to me years ago when I lived in Bromley.

Little girl - only about 2 - no-one around - so I stood looking around asking people - her mum was ages away talking to her friend and walking in the opposite direction. The little girl ran up to the mum and the mum proceeded to lift her up by the arm - Whack on the bum (times lost count). I immediately said something like "Don't do that" and the mum and friend started on me - being aggressive - saying "I bet you haven't got kids" (I was a mum of 2 and worked in Casualty at the time).