Thank you!

:D

Minstrel
03-10-2008, 03:06 PM
You've got everyone thinking?

Is it going to be a trick question?

Pedagog
03-10-2008, 03:25 PM
To protect them from harm, physical, emotional etc.

sarah707
03-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Is it going to be a trick question?

Nah!

Whenever I'm researching something new, I always ask my favourite people :D

miffy
03-10-2008, 03:32 PM
I'll think about it and let you know

Miffy xx

mimo
03-10-2008, 03:36 PM
To protect them from harm, physical, emotional etc.

And returning them to their parents in one piece :laughing: :laughing:

Mollymop
03-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Making sure they are SAFE from any kind of harm.:cool:

Heaven Scent
03-10-2008, 05:03 PM
I'll think about it and let you know what I Think 2 moro C's mum is running late and A is here and I'm shattered as G accidentally trapped my friends lo's finger in the door of the Wendy house while I was writing an acciodent form for Ruth who ran into an upright of the pagoda in the garden while and just got a tiny mark like a pin prick but because she cried a lot and she never really cries I thought it was worth writing up. So my reply right now would be wrapp them up in cotton wool and keep them in individual padded rooms with soft toys and furniture and only ever serve them with tepid food on plastic plates and soft plastic spoons to eat it with - no knives or forks - not even plastic ones never take them outside or near water. Is that safe enough for you??:ohdear: :idea: :eek: :o

Nicki L
03-10-2008, 05:08 PM
I'll think about it and let you know what I Think 2 moro C's mum is running late and A is here and I'm shattered as G accidentally trapped my friends lo's finger in the door of the Wendy house while I was writing an acciodent form for Ruth who ran into an upright of the pagoda in the garden while and just got a tiny mark like a pin prick but because she cried a lot and she never really cries I thought it was worth writing up. So my reply right now would be wrapp them up in cotton wool and keep them in individual padded rooms with soft toys and furniture and only ever serve them with tepid food on plastic plates and soft plastic spoons to eat it with - no knives or forks - not even plastic ones never take them outside or near water. Is that safe enough for you??:ohdear: :idea: :eek: :o

Oh dear - you are having one of those days. In my house its never just one who hurts themselves - they all have to have a go!!!

shopshelleyd
doing everything within my power to make sure they do not hurt themselves or are hurt by anyone else :thumbsup:

Nicki L
What does the phrase...

Keeping children safe...

actually mean to you as a childminder?

Thank you!

:D

Protect them from hurting themselves, accidents, germs, strangers etc

Wendy Woo
03-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I would say protecting them but letting them discover.

Letting them learn that things can be dangerous without them getting hurt.

If that makes any sense!

Supervising them wen out and about

Keeping them from talking them to strangers

I dont think u can really wrap them in cotton wool as they do have to learn but try and make sure that there learning is safe so they dont end up in casualty!!!!!

I think im making sense but im just not good with words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twinkles
03-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Keeping Children safe

To me means ensuring that they are protected from physical injury, emotional or sexual abuse.

Allowing them to explore and enjoy the physical environment in a safe way while letting them test their own physical capabilities.

Making sure they have the confidence to speak to an adult if they are being bullied.

Ensuring that all adults that they come into contact with are safe and suitable. ( not sure if that makes sense but ykwim ) And that they have the emotional ‘tools’ to refuse to take part in anything that makes them uncomfortable.

Wendy Woo
03-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Allowing them to explore and enjoy the physical environment in a safe way while letting them test their own physical capabilities.

Thats what i was trying to say. U got it on one

Like i said im rubbish with words

Trouble
03-10-2008, 05:46 PM
the lady on the children pro refresher course asked us this

dont forget to include the law in this

confidentiality
protecting them and us

i cant remember the rest its friday night:panic:

mum22
03-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Agree with the rest but also, explaining why we keep ourselves and others safe, and help them to start keeping themselves and others safe.

Pauline
03-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Pah!!!...I know your game........you just want us to answer your SEF for you! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

ajs
03-10-2008, 08:11 PM
if it was anyone else pauline

but thanks for that i might use those ideas when ofsted eventually allow me access to the sef page

Helpinghands
03-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Helping children to learn about safey themselves, protecting them from harm and unwanted circumstances (abuse).

sarah707
04-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Pah!!!...I know your game........you just want us to answer your SEF for you! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Dash it! You foiled my evil plan :cool: :laughing:

Thank you all very much. You've given me loads to think about there xx

mandy moo
04-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Cotton wool and a Padded play room sounds like a good idea, and every one de-germed when they enter the house..lol

Pipsqueak
04-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Keeping Children Safe (tongue in cheek version):

saying no (to something they want to do/ are caught doing) and then suffering burst eardrums due to the following ear splitting scream of tantrum/constant whine of "but why" following you round for the next half hour

explaining why you have just said no in very patient tones and walking of muttering "because I ruddy well say so - what part of N.O. don't you understand"

saying "now go back upstairs and wash your hands"
saying "go back up and wash your hands please"
saying "right I am coming upstairs to watch you wash your hands"
saying "ok now use warm water AND soap please and wash your hands"

running down the garden/across park to catch said child who doesn't understand N.O who has just gone into freefall OR stopping little Johnny age 8 from giving little Jane age 4 the most almight shove down the slide/into the local pond/playing tig to roughly

muttering under your breath - "see if you had listened to me....."

keeping some anti-bac/packet of tissues/first aid kit in your back at ALL times - you give full and frank instruction to your accident prone child not to......

when drunk man/overly friendly granny/bouncy dog in the street starts getting in the childs face you start to insert yourself between child/person

you carry wrist strap/reins everywhere with you and the children KNOW you will put them on them if they dare to even so much as put one step in the wrong direction

saying "please take your finger out of your nose/dogs nose/little johnnys nose/my nose and use a tissue please"
"please put the tissue in the bin"
"please go and wash your hand now" refer to handwashing above
going to get cloth/wipes to wash your banister/walls down after child has gone upstairs

Stop playing with your seatbelt please....

I am sure there are more but you get the gist....:D

ajs
04-10-2008, 07:37 AM
and to add to above finding the first aid kit the wrist straps and the manky tissues in your bag on a saturday, when the youngest child in your care is 14

angeldelight
04-10-2008, 07:39 AM

saying no (to something they want to do/ are caught doing) and then suffering burst eardrums due to the following ear splitting scream of tantrum/constant whine of "but why" following you round for the next half hour

explaining why you have just said no in very patient tones and walking of muttering "because I ruddy well say so - what part of N.O. don't you understand"

running down the garden/across park to catch said child who doesn't understand N.O who has just gone into freefall OR stopping little Johnny age 8 from giving little Jane age 4 the most almight shove down the slide/into the local pond/playing tig to roughly

keeping some anti-bac/packet of tissues/first aid kit in your back at ALL times - you give full and frank instruction to your accident prone child not to......

when drunk man/overly friendly granny/bouncy dog in the street starts getting in the childs face you start to insert yourself between child/person

you carry wrist strap/reins everywhere with you and the children KNOW you will put them on them if they dare to even so much as put one step in the wrong direction

saying "please take your finger out of your nose/dogs nose/little johnnys nose/my nose and use a tissue please"
going to get cloth/wipes to wash your banister/walls down after child has gone upstairs

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Twinkles
04-10-2008, 09:49 AM

keeping some anti-bac/packet of tissues/first aid kit in your back at ALL
times - you give full and frank instruction to your accident prone child not to......

Love it Pip :ROFL1: :ROFL1: now that's real childminding !

sarah707
04-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Lots of ideas there, thank you Squeaky! :D :laughing: