PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? - opinions please xx

Mollymop
03-10-2008, 09:13 AM
I have baby today (15mths) you may remember the suppositories thread?

Well she had yesterday off, they were taking her to the doctors because she hasn't passed a stool since last Friday.

Anyway mum said she can come back today, Dad had her yesterday and thinks she can come back.

I have been given some medication to her to help her have a poo. Mum and dad gave her some yesterday. But she still hasn't had a bowel movement.

She is in so much pain and I can't give her any calpol, because mum said that she is not sure whether we can have it while she is taking these meds.

Every 5 minutes she is straining to pass a stool and crying in pain for a few minutes. I am comforting her the best I can - but by the time I have put her down and she goes off to play she has another episode, where I have to pick her up and cuddle and rub her belly and back for another few minutes.

Anyway, Mum put in the daily diary that if I feel she is not well enough I can phone Dad. Dad is at home, he doesn't work at the moment - the college where mum goes pays me to have LO - so LO comes to me while Dad is finding a new job. He only lives up the road.

Would you phone Dad and tell him that she needs to be at home, or would you perserve?
I really would prefer her to be at home while she is in pain and I really am worn out - later I am going to have 2 more children here that take a lot of my time as it is.
Dad doesn't work and is prob in bed at the moment, but I will feel a failure if I take her home, like I haven't done my job properly?

What would you do?

berkschick
03-10-2008, 09:16 AM
I would send her home.

The amount of care she needs will mean that your other mindees will miss out.

Plus, I wouldnt want to be changing the nappy when she finally went!!!!!!!

angeldelight
03-10-2008, 09:16 AM
I would not hestiate

I would call dad

You cant give this child 100% and its unfair to expect that from you

Dad is home ring him!

It is no reflection on you Sandra

Poor little mite though it must be awful

Angel xx

flora
03-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Sandra you have done your job, you have looked after the BEST you can , but at the end of the day when lo are sick or un well they should be at home with mum or dad.

Give dad a ring, if he isn't at work then he cna give his lo the undivided attention she so obviously needs until she is feeling 100% again.

Don't feel guilty

sarah707
03-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Send her home.

Hopefully the medicine will kick in over the weekend.

Hope you're ok! xx

Pedagog
03-10-2008, 09:28 AM
My sons both suffered badly with their bowels when tiny, and I wouldn't have wanted any one else to look after them when they were bad, as they really needed lots of hugs and tummy rubs.

sue m
03-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Definitely send her home hun, they need to get her sorted out, she's very young and is obviously in distress with it all. It's not for you to be worrying about, its her parents responsibility. Hope she goes soon and they get help for her very soon. x x

Pipsqueak
03-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Send the lo one home and let the parents deal with it. The poor child needs the comfort of home.
In the meantime, try some warm drinks, grape/orange juice.
Rub her tummy in an I L U motion, up from the right hip bone towards the ribcage - across to the opposite side and then down to the left hip bone.

Mollymop
03-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all your replies!

Well, since I wrote the thread she has only had one episode, so I will give it a little while longer to see how she is. Maybe the medication is kicking in.

I am just glad mum gave me more nappies than normal.

katickles
03-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Sandra I would send her home - If dads at home anyway & the poor little things in pain, surely dad would want to comfort her?

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/21/2155/215587.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

Mollymop
03-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi girls, thanks.

I have just got back from taking her home (and popping into SueM's to have a natter;) )

Dad agreed that he would be able to spend the time and give her the attention she needs.

Got him out of bed though, by the looks of things - At this hour? Wish I could sleep in all day! haha

angeldelight
03-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Glad you took the little one home

Oh what a shame that you got him out of bed ha I wish !!

You did the right thing Sandra

Angel xx

sallybrooke
03-10-2008, 11:50 AM
A fellow C/M used to care for a little girl like this.
One day, Abbie strained so hard that her bowel came out.
My friend called an ambulance and they had never seen anything like it, although it had started to go back in by the time they arrived.
She was glad that the paramedics had actually seen it, as by the time they arrived at hospital, it had all gone back in.

Sally

sarah707
03-10-2008, 11:53 AM
A fellow C/M used to care for a little girl like this.
One day, Abbie strained so hard that her bowel came out.
My friend called an ambulance and they had never seen anything like it, although it had started to go back in by the time they arrived.
She was glad that the paramedics had actually seen it, as by the time they arrived at hospital, it had all gone back in.

Sally

Oh the poor little love! :(

katickles
03-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Oh Sandra you really have done the right thing - & Sally that would be so scary :(

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/21/2155/215587.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

Heaven Scent
03-10-2008, 12:13 PM
OMG I thought the parents of 2 of my mindees were bad for sending their children when they were sick - I'm totally disgusted with this father and I don't even know him but to be at home in bed or watching TV or what ever when his darling daughter is ill and expecting someone else to look after her just because he can and its not even as though he is paying you its being paid for by someone else at least my parents are paying me out of their earnings so to me this man takes the biscuit - my husband would never let my children go to school or the childminder when they were ill on his days off - if neither of us were off I usually had to have time off - or I was in the lucky position that I could take them with me and keep them in the staff room if they were not too bad - or sometimes they went home to my bosses house and she or her nanny took care of them if they were not too bad but if they took bad I was off asap. The reason I brought them with me was because I felt I worked too far from home and the childminder/school to be able to get to them quickly enough and my boss felt the same way.

When they were older and I was working at the college none of the staff ever hesitated about leaving if any of their children were ill and the bosses let us all know that our families came first. Plus in all my years of working in Nurseries and schools I have never come across parents who behaved in this way when their children were ill or when they had days off that they would bring them anyway - its all new to me and beyond my comprehension. I did come across it when I was childminding before though and that was because if the mum came home a colleague would cause trouble for her. Strangely although I never met this woman I now know someone who knows her and I know that she herself now has children - I wonder if she takes time off to be with them when she is ill - she still works in the same place.

kiddiwinks
03-10-2008, 12:16 PM
I have baby today (15mths) you may remember the suppositories thread?

Well she had yesterday off, they were taking her to the doctors because she hasn't passed a stool since last Friday.

Anyway mum said she can come back today, Dad had her yesterday and thinks she can come back.

I have been given some medication to her to help her have a poo. Mum and dad gave her some yesterday. But she still hasn't had a bowel movement.

She is in so much pain and I can't give her any calpol, because mum said that she is not sure whether we can have it while she is taking these meds.

Every 5 minutes she is straining to pass a stool and crying in pain for a few minutes. I am comforting her the best I can - but by the time I have put her down and she goes off to play she has another episode, where I have to pick her up and cuddle and rub her belly and back for another few minutes.

Anyway, Mum put in the daily diary that if I feel she is not well enough I can phone Dad. Dad is at home, he doesn't work at the moment - the college where mum goes pays me to have LO - so LO comes to me while Dad is finding a new job. He only lives up the road.

Would you phone Dad and tell him that she needs to be at home, or would you perserve?
I really would prefer her to be at home while she is in pain and I really am worn out - later I am going to have 2 more children here that take a lot of my time as it is.
Dad doesn't work and is prob in bed at the moment, but I will feel a failure if I take her home, like I haven't done my job properly?

What would you do?

If that was your child where and who would you want you child to be with?

I know for a fact that if that was my child i would want them at home with me or dad as they need mommy or daddy when ill