PDA

View Full Version : what a day!!!

Alak123
15-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi everyone,

What a day I have had and I only look after one mindee at the mo.

I was due to have mindee today 8am to 4.30pm thats was fine, then parent phoned to say she had slept in but would be along shortly. So 8.40am arrived and so did mindee, mum was in a hurry to get to work so she practically thew him at me (he is 11mths) with a bottle of milk and a jar of porridge.

When I got him settled and comforted him I realised he still had his jammies on and his nappy was soaking along with his babygrow, he has not been well over christmas with a chest infection and is still recovering so after cleaning him up and dressing him he then went on to havea cough and projectile vomit all morning.

Around lunchtime I started to get a little worried and phoned parent, but she gave me the brush off and said he was up through the night and he was just grumpy.:panic:

Dad picked him up and he seemed to be slightly more interested in his son's health and wellbeing but made it clear you are getting paid for it.

I am ranting a bit and do feel better telling someone but I felt I was put in quite an awkward position. Its not the first time the mindee has arrived in his jammies but he was clearly very unwell today.

I feel because I charge for the mindee if he is off sick, parents decided to send him and beacuse I have no other mindee at the moment they took advantage of that fact.:angry:

Starting to feel better now that I have a cup of tea and this forum.

Thanks
Alak xx

Raggydolls
15-01-2008, 05:42 PM
aww honey, its not fair that u have had to deal with that, maybe u cud speak to the parents again and remind them of your policies reguarding sending a child who is ill - hopefully they will realise what a mistake they made

leanne
xx

son77
15-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Oh dear, what a day!

That's the problem with parents, they will take advantage where ever possible. I'm sure we have all been there (I know I have).

If you were a nursery the child would have been sent straight home.

Re-look through your sickness policy & perhaps update it to say after a child has been sick they need to be collected asap & make sure they sign it!

I have a poster up on my wall to say that I don't except poorly children etc etc, if you want a copy pm me your email address.

Hope all ok tomorrow. xx

bubbly
15-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Oh, that's not nice for you at all. I hope tomorrow goes better. Sending lots of good vibes your way :)

I've had a sick, crying baby all day today too. I've had projectile vomit down my trousers twice, on the carpet, down baby's jeans and t-shirt and I shan't even mention his bib :eek:. Mind you, I still found him easier to cope with than the diva-ish 3 year old lol. She's driving my normally mild-mannered, easy-going other half to despair. Making him dress up as Fireman Sam today didn't go down too well (he's 45 years old and feels it!) :laughing:

Best wishes for a better day tomorrow

xxx

Alak123
15-01-2008, 06:27 PM
:) Thanks for all your support.

Glad I am not on my own.

:laughing: Bubbly you cheered me up no end with the fireman Sam outfit story... kids there never fail to try us!!!:jump for joy:

Feeling a lot better.

Tomorrows another day.

A happier Alak xx:)

angeldelight
15-01-2008, 06:35 PM
That is terrible for baby to arrive like that and if it was myself I would have to say something

If baby is poorly call the parent in future they will have to come out of work to collect their baby it is not your problem - do not ask them but TELL THEM

I hope your day is better tomorrow

Angel xx

sarah707
15-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I had to ring 5 sets of parents today and tell them either they had to collect their child or I couldn't collect their child... as my dd was sick.

The only one I couldn't contact, I thought, ok I'll go with the flow, dd is upstairs... 2 hours later, projectiled carrot stuff all over me... then again... then nappy from hell... then when I was changing it... he weed! :laughing: Rang father ... come now... and he did!

I am soooo lucky to have good parents at the moment! I'm just thinking to a few years back when I'd have struggled.

If they are ill, they need to be home! I wonder why some people have children :angry:

LittleMissSparkles
15-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Sorry these parents have been unreasonable, I think you should put everything down in writing, that baby should be dressed when he arrives and have had breakfast perhaps too, that if baby is ill he needs collecting asap, you have to try be firm or parents walk all over you babe. I do think you need to drive home that they may pay you but to look after their child but not when he is ill and needs to be at home with his mum and dad that you cannot afford to close your setting if sickness is spead round etc

xxx

chubbymummy
15-01-2008, 09:06 PM
i agree with everyone else

parents :angry: :angry:

as someone said in another thread it's not the children that are a problem it's the parents

hope you have a better day tomorrow

sarah32
15-01-2008, 09:13 PM
it must of been a day for poorly babies, I posted thread on here today about colds. Mum said he'd been up all night and then still brings him to me. Same as Ive read hes my only child at moment so I spose they think its not a problem.

Rubybubbles
16-01-2008, 02:17 PM
just to say a agree with what everyone has said!!

I used to have a baby arrive at 8am ready for his breakfast! I soon put a stop to that one after she said he woke at 6am each morning the poor thing must of been starving, if I can get myself up and 2 children 3,5 ready for 8am so can she with one baby and hubby to help:angry: hehe

Spangles
16-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Sounds to me like they'd only just got the poor little man up before they popped him round to you. His nappy wouldn't get that soaked so quickly otherwise. That's awful and to leave him with you when he's projectile vomiting!

Alak123
16-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks for replies and support:)

I got the my mindee back today. He had to go to the doctors with mum first and has a chest infection that never cleared up with the first set of antibs, so he was slightly better fettle today.

I metioned to mum that it would be best he was dressed and at least had bottle before arriving, but the excuses started to flow...1. he had just woke up yesterday and she had to get to work 2.Her elder son had to go to grans no time. 3. He is a sleepy head most mornings.!!!!!4. He prefers you dressing him, he gets grumpy if I(mum) dress him....correctly me if I am wrong but did not know 11mths could talk about there prefrences:rolleyes:

I do not think quick on my feet but with mum gone to work and looking at her sick otherwise happy healthy liitle bundle he so cute and adorable, the things I was thinking I cannot type on this kind of forum.:angry:

Further to that I had a wee giggle to myself and thought, it is only really the parents I have problems with, like others on the forum, its just a pity mindees can't arrive by themselves and if in my case at 11mths they can decide who they want to dress them in the morning then I am sure our mindees would also pay us on time too so we were always happy:jump for joy:

Sorry got carried away there, it's been a hard 3 days.:blush:

Alak xxx

Blaze
16-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I used to get this regularly when I only had one parent...created a poster! If you PM me your email address I'll send it to you! I would also ring them tonight & explain you can't have him for the next 48 hours as he had been vomiting today, so you'll see him next week! ...Not your rules, but what all childcare settings inclusive of schools HAVE to follow! ...not worth your registration to break them...blah, blah....
Tasha:thumbsup:

Banana
17-01-2008, 09:14 PM
What a nightmare!!

Even if you do only have one mindee thats besides the point!! You have your own health to think about its not just about keeping other children free from infection!!

The cheek!!

xxx

miffy
17-01-2008, 09:22 PM
I've just caught up with this but think you're right - it's a pity mindees come with parents sometimes!

Just hope you and yours escape the dreaded bug

Miffy xx