PDA

View Full Version : Colds????

sarah32
15-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Just looking for some advice for when minded children are ill. When would you say they are ill and ring parents to pick their child up.

Colds are confusing, the little boy I mind came to me a couple of months ago, clearly not well. He got worse during the day and when mum picked him up I did say I felt he wasnt right and hadnt eaten hardly anything all day and he seemed to be gulping alot which normally means they've got a sore throat. She said it was because of his teething so left it. Next say she rang me and agreed with what I said and took him to the doctors.

Today she brings him and said he'd been up last night, coughing. But said he seemed alright now. She again thought it was down to teething, hes got a snoty nose and cough, today he cant lay flat as he keeps waking up coughing so he's not had much sleep today.

I know kids get alot of colds but when do you say they should stay home???

dont want to upset mum as hes my only minded child.

Did I mention im a worrier. hahaha

Sarah

chubbymummy
15-01-2008, 04:28 PM
it's hard to say when i can't see the child

i would keep a check on his temperature throughout the day and make a note of it

if the temperature goes to high then ring parents

i agree it's so hard when they have a cold

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
15-01-2008, 04:31 PM
This is a hard one as normally if they only have a cold I tend to keep them but it depends how ill he is. If his temp gets too high then ring the parents.

Hard one this one I am afraid.

Lorraine xx

Blaze
15-01-2008, 05:19 PM
I generally keep them if they have a cold/slight cough...my rule of thumb is ...if they are right in themselves & all that's needed is a bit of nose wiping then fine...however, if they are not thmselves/have a temp or hacking cough then home they go!
Tasha:)

buildingblocks
15-01-2008, 05:42 PM
If I didn't let them come with colds then I would never have any children in and I wouldn't have to share their germs lol.

Seriously though my rule is they have to be able to join in with all activities i have planned for the day. If mum said she will be fine she will sleep all day then sorry they shouldn't be here but at home (age depending obviously).

I had S aged 2 1/2 today and X aged 2. Mum dropped X and said she has no temp but bit under the weather with a cold is it okay for her to come. Said yes as she is only here 2 hours (should be 2 1/2 bu tmum is alwasy late lol). she normally sleeps for an hour anyway so we never do much on a Tuesday so no skin off my nose. She was fine anyway hadn't helped she doesn't sleep much at night for mum as dad is away,

sarah707
15-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I send them home if they cannot join in with or are not well enough to go out for the normal day-to-day activities like going to toddlers or doing a school run... :D

angeldelight
15-01-2008, 07:26 PM
A general cold - runny nose but not feeling unwell is usually ok

If a child is unwell with a cold and generally under the weather then they should be at home and the parents should not expect you to have them

You were right to tell mom Sarah about the child I also think it was unfair of her to bring him today if he is feeling unwell with his cough
It is not fair on the child and it is not fair on you

I would have called her to come and collect him

Do not worry so much you are a childminder not a nurse

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
15-01-2008, 07:32 PM
just to say I agree with everyone on when to send them home:)

ruby
15-01-2008, 08:46 PM
i agree with everyone else if its just a cold/slight cough they stay anything more and we call the parents

cathy and Rachel

Tily Bud
15-01-2008, 08:54 PM
I agree with everything else, but sometimes this is hard to put into practice - i am a bit of a soft touch !

Also i am a but more lenient if i dont have others to care for as there is no one to pass it on to, except myself lol x

You have to go with your instincts and stick to your guns x

sarah32
15-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I finally got him to sleep at 4pm and still didnt have much sleep. Even when my two got home from school they couldnt cheer him up, he just wasnt interested in them, which is not like him.

When mum picked him up told her about the day and I didnt think he was well, I think she sensed I was a bit stressed as she left very quickly.

Lets see if she drops him off tomorrow, I will call her if she does and he gets worse.

angeldelight
16-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi Sarah

Did parent drop the little boy to you today ?

Angel xx

sarah32
16-01-2008, 12:56 PM
oh yes.

She said he was moaning all night so she calpol him before bed and as he went through the night she thought it would be ok to bring him.

Did mention to her this morning that if I have this little girl start in March I wont be able to take him if he so upset and unwell like he was yesterday.

He's been fine today, bit stroppy. Alot better than yeserday.

thanks for asking

Sarah