PDA

View Full Version : i may need a knee op! what do others do if they need a long time of work?

honey
01-10-2008, 11:43 AM
My hubby can only help out for a a few days as he has work too.

Minstrel
01-10-2008, 11:45 AM
oh poor thing.
i can only suggest you do what those on maternity leave do and help them find other minders for a little while.
make sure you also contact job centre to see what sick pay entitlements you are able to receive. x:)

honey
01-10-2008, 11:54 AM
i never even thought of that. the trouble i have got is that one of my littles will not do change, i was wondering if i got another chldminder and brought her into my house. would i be able to do that then it wouldnt upset the children

Minstrel
01-10-2008, 12:00 PM
i dont know. would they still be insured? and if they already had kids would they bring them too. not great if you are recuperating. speak to the parents first. could they not arrange some hol between them or have a family member help out?

Chatterbox Childcare
01-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Do you have anyone who can work with you? As long as you are on the premises you can childmind. If you had 3 children would it be worth paying someone to work with you? I was immobile for 2 weeks and had the children, just assistants doing school runs and 1 with me at home

Also, are you payment NI contributions as this would give you, depending on the amount paid, sickness benefit

honey
01-10-2008, 12:31 PM
no i dont have anybody work for me. my husband is my registered assistant but is only there in an emergency. I have asked him if can work from home but his boss wont be too happy. that is why i wasnt sure if i could invute another childminder( maybe one who hasnt got any children herself) to come and be my assisstant whist i was laid up on the sofa

honey
01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
speak to the parents first. could they not arrange some hol between them or have a family member help out?

I could speak them first but i think their hols are running low, and as for family members they are a bit low on the ground too

manjay
01-10-2008, 12:35 PM
I have had this recently and it is a bit of a nightmare. I took the first 2 weeks as my summer holiday (lovely I know) and then luckily dh is a registered minder so he took 3 weeks off from his work (works for himself) to look after the children. Is there no one you could use as an assistant?

honey
01-10-2008, 12:51 PM
no. not unless i phone round all the local childminders and ask them if they are working at the mo if they can help me out, and i will have to pay them what i get paid. but then i suppose i would have to run that past ofsted wouldnt i?

Minstrel
01-10-2008, 01:06 PM
as a minder i dont think i would do it because what happens if they have to turn work down. will they leave you in the lurch or will they say you have to compensate them.
i think i would probably just help them all find temp places until you are well again.
if you are paying the minder what you get paid then you are doing it all for free!
sorry i would just concentrate on getting healthy and back to work asap. you dont want all the agro to set you back- you will be constantly telling her how things are run in your house and where to find things etc.
hope your knees are better soon x

honey
01-10-2008, 01:24 PM
thanks Amanda, i hadnt even thought of those issues. I think i will just try and find placements for them if it comes to it. Thanks for your words of wisdom, its difficukt to know what to do for the best especially if you have a little one that dosnt like change