PDA

View Full Version : not sure about this one

custardcream
15-01-2008, 01:25 PM
I have someone coming to see me on thursday evening who wants me to mind her 9 year old before school, take him to school and have him all school hols. I can do this as it wouldnt effect numbers as he is over 8, but not sure that i want it.
They will arrive at mine at 6.30 a.m, I know I am not very good in the mornings but am really worried as to how it will be for the child.Not sure yet if child already gets up at this early hour or if this will all be new to him.
I cant make my mind up about this one, any thoughts anyone?

berkschick
15-01-2008, 01:28 PM
I think I would meet with the parent and take it from there.

Like you say, he might be used to the early starts ( even if your not!)

Do you have any other children his age? Just thinking that during the hols i could be hard to keep him occupied if he is the only one in his age group.

Send him to me, I have a 10 year old boy :D

Good luck

Love

Debbie

Sarsar3NCH
15-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Thats really early for school hols, I couldn't manage it. 7.30 is the earliest I would do and that would be a struggle

Sarah

custardcream
15-01-2008, 01:30 PM
I have 3 others around his age during school hols, so that wouldnt be a problem. But i do agree sometimes the older ones are harder to keep occupied

Rubybubbles
15-01-2008, 01:34 PM
TBH I really like the older children, and find them really interesting to work with, but I can see your concerns, I had 9,11 yr old last summer and with 3 under 5 and 5yr old often found it hard to keep eveyone happy (this was only temp I'm not mad like some of you lot!!)

As for 6.30am start:eek: is there two in the day:laughing: , if your gut is saying errmm I think your answer should be no, Because if I have any feeling not right they are there for a reason:)

Sorry if no help at all:blush:

donnagwynne
15-01-2008, 01:48 PM
If you did start at 6.30 am I would also consider charging extra, it isn't exactly a 'sociable' time and it would make your working day very long indeed!!

Donna

katickles
15-01-2008, 01:56 PM
I have to agree wth Donna on this one, 6:30am really is an early start. You will be providing breakfast & if you have children of your own to get ready for school could be very busy in your house in the mornings!:(

Let us know what you decide to do:p

Schnakes
15-01-2008, 02:00 PM
I like working with the older ones too, because the range of stuff you can do with them is so much wider. I really enjoy having the more grown up conversation and stuff like that! I miss my big kids! :(

6:30 is early...this is going to sound awful, but if the child is happy to sit in front of the tv for half an hour or so while you have a cup of coffee and wake up then Id go for it, but I looked after two older boys a while back who started at 6:30 and they really wanted to chat and play and stuff and I was too zombified to meet their needs!!! Luckily it was only temporary, so I could force myself to do it, but on a long term basis...??

Sx

Mollymop
15-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Good luck custard, Let us know what you have decided. It's up to you, if you are unsure, maybe have him as a trial period to see how he gets on. XX

sarah707
15-01-2008, 02:04 PM
How about ... if the interview goes well, make sure your settling in goes on for 4 weeks... then if it all gets too much you can stop it quite easily... just a thought! :D

custardcream
15-01-2008, 02:06 PM
I did used to look after an 11 year old who arrived at 6.00 am but he used to curl up on the sofa and go back to sleep ,bless him, so my family never got disturbed, think I will just see how it goes on thursday when i meet them.

custardcream
15-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I had thought about a short settling in period,just incase it didnt work out

chubbymummy
15-01-2008, 02:14 PM
i think that would be the best idea have your settling in period and see how it goes for the boy yourself and your family

Minnie Minx
15-01-2008, 02:43 PM
omg 6.30am that's the middle of the night lol, i would def charge a higher rate, good luck with meeting the parents and as the others have said keep us up to date with what you decide

xxx

Spangles
15-01-2008, 03:39 PM
There is no way on earth I could get up to work for 6.30am! I'd be a wreck! I can't string a sentence together at that time! I'd be a real grump!

None of my children start until 10am and that's fab by me but I still struggle to be ready in time! Ha ha! I'm not a morning person never have been! When I worked in an office and had loads on, I worked into the evening because I couldn't get up early!

Good luck with it!

angeldelight
15-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Good luck whatever you decide custardcream

Angel xx

LittleMissSparkles
15-01-2008, 07:45 PM
god luck making a decision custardcream xxx

Tily Bud
15-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Must admit i couldnt do it, theres no way i could be up and ready for that time !

ajs
15-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Must admit i couldnt do it, theres no way i could be up and ready for that time !

my earliest comes at 8 and that's definately early enough for me i will work as late as necessary but not start that early

Angela234
15-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE DO START WORK THAT EARLY (not childminders)BUT I DON'T KNOW IF I WOULD WANT TO MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK

GOOD LUCK WITH WHATEVER YOU DECIDE
ANGELA

charleyfarley
15-01-2008, 10:04 PM
I have to get up at 6.30 for first mindee to come at 7.30 so if they came at 6.30 I'd have to get up at 5.30.

Although I'm normally awake I do like to stay in bed till the alarm goes off

Have done 6.30 starts as one off before and I suppose you would get used to them

Good luck with whatever you decide

Carol xx

sassy
16-01-2008, 12:07 PM
hi, i start at 6.45 am with a drop off then i drag myself out at 7 am to collect another one, must be mad

i charge £5.00 for unsociable hours.

it does get my motivated in mornings and i always get to sleep no problems !!!!!!

good luck with whatever you decide

sassy

Lincsminder
16-01-2008, 09:15 PM
I suppose it all depends on how much you need the money and how long you could put up with such an early start.
caroline

custardcream
18-01-2008, 08:46 AM
I had decided before parent came that I really didnt want to get up this early again, but when she arrived she was with a friend (the parent who I used to mind for at 6.00 am a long time ago). They both praised me up and said what a great childminder i was etc etc, well I sat there thinking can I get up this early? and decided that I would put the ball in her court and said that my fees had gone up (which they have) and I now charge £6 an hour before 8 o`clock. I didnt think that she would go for this but she didnt batter an eye-lid, she then asked about school holidays and said that she would only need me for a few weeks of them as they went away alot, so I thought if I am getting up that early it has to be worth my while so explained that if she wanted to keep the place for some school hols she would have to pay full fee for all of them , regardless if she needed me or not (6.30 till 3.00p.m). I didnt think for one minute that she would agree to this, but she said "ok thats fine".
So it was all agreed there and then, forms filled out, contracts signed etc.
I did stress that I was a bit worried how such an early start would effect the little boy, but apparently he has always done it, right from being a baby.
Wel so much for me making a decision before hand. lol

manjay
18-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Good for you!! Well done for sticking to what you wanted!!

amanda xx

berkschick
18-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Well done you!

Hopefully it will mainly be termtime then and you will be able to recover during the hols.

Love

Debbie

emler
18-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Well done! Hope it works out well for you

Emler x

Banana
18-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Good luck with this one!!

I personally couldnt bare the thought of a 6.30 start - I have a 7.30 mindee on a wed, thur, and fri and nearly cry in the mornings when my alarm goes off at 6.40 - I am not a morning person, even more so when you are cried at first thing lol. However if you are happy doing it then thats great, its all extra money!

xx