PDA

View Full Version : Mindees mum.

louise
30-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi, 3 weeks ago mindee who is 2 came with a slightly sore finger near the nail. She had been ill in bed that weekend and her partner was looking after mindee so unsure how he done it. Now on the wed my son started school and was only there for an hour so me and mindee went to sainsburys cafe. I decided to talk to pharmacist to see if mag sulphate would help. I wouldn't of done this with anyother mindees but i know the mum well (we use to go to college and work together) I have been a pharmacy assistant as well so just wanted to check. As i thought mag sulphate was recommended and told mum. she was fine and got some.

Well last week he came and it still hadn't improved and looked worse. I asked if she wanted mw to pop him to pharmacist again. she agreed and was told he needed antibiotics cream and syrup. Well Mum got her sister to take him as appointment was at 10.20 and only cream was given. Mum works quite far away and is a manager and had no cover so that is why aunty took him.

Well this week its still no better. the cuticle is getting further back down the nail. My friend who is a nurse saw it and said it should of improved by now and to return. Well Mum has texted me to say she will take him tom evening. Is aid to let me know what time she will pick up. She said she might take him to A & E. Now sorry he should see a dr not wait ages in A& E after he has been with me propably 10hours! I can't believe she is doing that. I guess it is so she doesnt loose her wage or have too much time off as she is now preganant so needs time off for midwife ect.

soryy bit of a rant but she has really suprised me. Before she has kept him off for a cold now this has been like this for 3 weeks. it was left untreated for 2.

Loux

miffy
30-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Unfortunately I don't think there's anything more you can do.

Maybe the finger doesn't hurt him - although it sounds as if it is really sore - and so if the child's not complaining nothing is done.

Going to A&E does seem a strange thing to do. Surely a drs appointment would have been easier.

Miffy xx

louise
30-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Oh it does hurt him. He wont hold the buggy or my hand with that hand. If he gets it dirty i have to get him to soak it clean as it hurts. Its swollen to the joint. It has dried puss which luckily doesnt weap. I cant do anything to mess due to cleaning.

Thats what i cant understand the hosptial bit.

sarah707
30-09-2008, 08:15 PM
I had a mindee recently with this ... she now has a deformed nail :(

I think its sad that parents would rather sit in a&e all evening rather than take time off work to go to the docs...

jellytot
poor LO, sometimes people do things that we just dont understand and I guess never will, hope his finger gets sorted soon.

miffy
Oh poor little soul - it sounds like it's still infected.

You're right to be concerned and angry that mum isn't getting it sorted

Sometimes it's just so hard to understand why people don't do the obvious :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

mrsb
01-10-2008, 12:07 PM
My son had this a few months back too, she really needs to get him back to the dr as it will infect the other nails as well. My son was given an antibiotic nailvarnish which I had to use after filing the face of his nail down as far as poss, It had anti fungal stuff in as well and I had to do that every 3 days, it took a good month to get rid of it as well :(

Tatia
01-10-2008, 03:07 PM
I disagree.:)

I think maybe Mum is doing her best to get him treated. It's certainly not convenient to sit in A&E all night so she can't be doing it out of preference or desire.

She also tried all the options suggested to her, too. Maybe she feels she has little choice but to got to A&E instead of missing work. I think she should be praised, not second guessed.

Just my opinion and not getting at anyone!:)

Minstrel
01-10-2008, 03:45 PM
the only issue i would have is that the hospitals are full enough as it is with out ppl going to them for things that could and should be sorted by a GP. A and E is for Accidents and Emergencies ONLY. not an out of hours gp service. i think different options should be pointed out to her- a walk in clinic, pharmacist etc.
i only feel this way as i have sat in an A and E with a genuine reason and had to wait hours whilst seeing really trivial things being looked at. ( i had a fishing hook embedded in sole of my foot and the person before me in the queue was there for warts on her hand?????)

Tatia
01-10-2008, 03:54 PM
I definitely agree with you Minstrel. I'm just saying from Mum's POV, she might feel it's her only option. At least she's getting the poor thing looked at.:(

Minstrel
01-10-2008, 04:05 PM
sorry if i got on my soapbox then ! x

poor little lad- let us know how he gets on.

espec in little ones infections can travel round the body so quickly x

Tatia
01-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Not at all! I think you are absolutely right and people go to A&E for routine (and sometimes totally lame!) reasons. It's very frustrating.

louise
01-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Thank you for the replies. He never went today but that was due to a reason i totally understand. I do hope she gets it seen to soon as it is getting further back down the nail and its obv the cream isnt working.

Tatia. I understand you but i just dont get how she has choosen this option as she has normally been so hot on any illness he has. If he has been slightly unwell she contacts me several times to check on him.

Loux

marian
01-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Poor little mite - it sounds really sore.
If it was my child I would consider A&E if I couldn't get in to see my own Gp.
As at least he would be seen and being a child -with an acute infection that could possibly make him quite poorly- he would get the correct treatment as if the first doctor wasn't sure then he would be refered on to another.
Marian

Tatia
02-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Tatia. I understand you but i just dont get how she has choosen this option as she has normally been so hot on any illness he has. If he has been slightly unwell she contacts me several times to check on him.

I see what you mean, it would be puzzling. At least she does seem a caring mother. That's good!

scottie
02-10-2008, 07:34 AM
i agree you have done all you can to help both child and parent some times you just have to step back

but i would say keep a note of when if first started, what you done and what has been done for the child so far just to be on the safe:thumbsup: side

louise
08-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Just an update. He hasn't been to either GP or A and E. It looks a bit better this week but it is still swolen. Just seen it today and the crusty puss has gone and it looks like the nail has been damaged and stopped growing. As it looks like skin by the cuticle. It also looks like the nail is coming away from the bottom if you understand me. Which i just hope he doesn't catch on anything and rips it off when he is with me. I can't believe that she has left his finger like this for 4 weeks now and he is loosing his nail at 2!

Loux