PDA

View Full Version : pairing up with another childminder

tracyg
30-09-2008, 07:34 PM
i have met up with another childminder in my area who i get on really well with (i mind her son, as she also works as a policeofficer parttime) anyway we got talking earlier and was discussing the lack of childcare in our area, all the nurseries are full and only a handful of childminders, so we were talking at prehaps opening our own childcare business, not just for preschoolers but for after school and holidays so maybe 0-12years?
would this be possible? j has contacted ofsted today and they have said as long as one of us has an nvq level 3 (im just about to start mine, but thought we could 'employ' someone to begin with) then they dont see a problem, but i dont really know where to start, i assume we would need some sort of business plan but what sort of premises should we look for? a community hall maybe??
any ideas would be great x

Chatterbox Childcare
30-09-2008, 09:51 PM
We have 2 childminders in our area who wanted to do the same thing and got clearance and were ready to start signing building contracts

Then Ofsted popped up and said that if they were running an after school club then they couldn't have young children there too - idea was scuppered then

singlewiththree
01-10-2008, 06:22 AM
You can have under 4's in a separate room I believe, I used to run a holiday club for 3-7yrs old as they said you couldnt have over 8's with 3yr olds however if I had done 4yrs-11yrs that would have been fine but there was a need for wrap around care at the local preschool for the 3yr olds. Now the woman who runs it has up to 11yrs and I queried it and she said ofsted had told them that they couldnt separate the older ones from the younger ones due to continity (sp) of care with siblings and they are all together in one room.Obviously as well if you got bigger and hired more than one assistant then you are into the childcare regulations rather than childminding. Good luck

Paula W

Annie_T
01-10-2008, 11:28 AM
im guuessing it it would be more like a childrens play area.

with messy play area, quiet area, trikes, cars etc etc

i would look round places to let/for sale and make a business plan too. and go from there