PDA

View Full Version : Biting! Advice please

Stacey
30-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I mind a child who if they dont get thier own way has started biting. The other day the chilld bit a younger child in my care on the arm which left a mark. I felt awful for not getting there in time and this happening while they were in my care. I dealt with the situation and informed both sets of parents. Now the parent whos child was bit wants to know what child bit them. Correct me if im wrong but i dont think im supposed to share that kind of imformation with other parents but how can i tell them in a polite way???
Please help.:(

Alibali
30-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Yep, you're right, you're not supposed to divulge this type of information. Just tell your parents that due to confidentiality procedures you are not allowed to share this information however the childs parents have been informed and everything has been documented as per protocol.

Stacey
30-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Ok thanks, I thought I wasnt supposed to.

Andrea08
30-09-2008, 01:52 PM
OMG i have a child that bites but hay how do you stop them?
its always too late as one is crying and the other walks off with the toy?

one parent said bite back but i just couldn't and im not allowed to anyway!!

hair pulling is one too its so difficult to convince these little ones not to do it .

any information sheets/books on this?

Stacey
30-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Im hoping its just a phase. Let me know if you come up with any handy tips.
The parents are stuck about what to do aswel.:eek:

Tatia
30-09-2008, 04:06 PM
From the research I've done on the issue, the best way to deal with biting is to completely blank the biter and lavish attention on the child who was bitten. Turn your back completely on the biter and don't look at them whilst you say 'poor Annie' and fuss over the victim. Biting is attention seeking and unfortunately a child will see being shouted at as attention so telling them off is not going to accomplish a thing.

My DD went through a biting phase (hence the research) and it was always me or her Dad who got bitten so we started doing this, felt a bit ridiculous stroking hubby's arm saying 'poor, poor Daddy!" but it was really effective once she realized she was going to be frozen out instead of getting a reaction.

Biting a child back does nothing but reinforce the behaviour plus it's abuse.:mad:

tomthumb
30-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I had a child who was biting as well.
I asked mum what she wanted to do so that we could have consistency and we decided on timing him out. Which means that whenever we go to playgroup, he spends time in the pushchair watching the other have a good time. No matter how much I watch, he always manages to do it!
Hopefully, it will all stop soon!
Good luck anyway.

Elodie X

roseybev
01-10-2008, 10:59 PM
just remember to note everything down date and when you spoke to the parent,and what they may have said if you have a dairy make a note dont use names and maybe get parents to sign this .i knew of someone that had a bitter and had to give them notice before other parents left ,the family complained about this saying they did not know about the biting lucky the childminder had every thing wrote down.

miffy
02-10-2008, 06:53 AM
From the research I've done on the issue, the best way to deal with biting is to completely blank the biter and lavish attention on the child who was bitten. Turn your back completely on the biter and don't look at them whilst you say 'poor Annie' and fuss over the victim. Biting is attention seeking and unfortunately a child will see being shouted at as attention so telling them off is not going to accomplish a thing.

My DD went through a biting phase (hence the research) and it was always me or her Dad who got bitten so we started doing this, felt a bit ridiculous stroking hubby's arm saying 'poor, poor Daddy!" but it was really effective once she realized she was going to be frozen out instead of getting a reaction.

Biting a child back does nothing but reinforce the behaviour plus it's abuse.:mad:

I agree with Tatia

I can't believe a parent's response was to bite back :eek: :eek: :eek:

Miffy xx

Stacey
02-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I will try the ignoring method. Its shocking when parents say stuff like can you bite him back, it makes you wonder what methods they use at home:eek: :eek:

Tatia
02-10-2008, 02:44 PM
It's not just parents either. I've heard other childminders say it before!:panic:

miffy
02-10-2008, 05:18 PM
It's not just parents either. I've heard other childminders say it before!:panic:

Makes you wonder what they think it will teach the children :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
02-10-2008, 07:34 PM
I minded a biter when my son was 10 months old. She was 18 months and he was her sitting target. She was ignored if at home, 'I don't play with children who bite' (and i sorted son) and if at a group had to sit in buggy. With consistency it stopped.

After a week or two, if she bit him she sat herself out at the side of room ! Still bit her mum on collection on and off for months, but stopped with me by 3 weeks.

She stayed with me till starting school so all ended well.

Jen