PDA

View Full Version : Poorly mindee.

bubbles
30-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I have sent a little one home today as he has tonsilitis. I phoned mum yesterday as he wouldn't eat anything and his throat looked swollen so she collected him early and took him to doctors. Doctor said he had tonsilitis but it wasn't contagious. She brought him this morning saying he stil wasn't eating anything and that doctor had just said keep up fluids and calpol. Anyway, an hour later he was refusing to have a drink, wouldn't eat breakfast and was either crying cos my son had a toy he wanted or he was sat on my knee with his dummy in. I phoned mum and said she would have to come to collect him. I went on the internet and it says on nhs direct that tonsilitis is contagious. Now i'm not sure when to let this child back into my setting. The other little one that i mind after school is prone to tonsilitis so i don't want her to catch it. Would you take a child with tonsilitis? Its hard when getting conflicting information of mum's doctor and from nhs direct website. :(

Paula J
30-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Why dont your phone NHS direct the number is 9845 46 47 or www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk you get through to a qualified nurse who can answer any questions or worries you have. Then you can make a decision about having the little boy back but be warned it is contageous my J had it loads when he first started school and ended up having is tonsils out Paula:)

Paula J
30-09-2008, 11:59 AM
sorry the number is 0845 46 47:blush: Paula

berkschick
30-09-2008, 12:00 PM
When one of mine had it, I wouldnt have her back until her had had 48 hours of antibiotics.

katickles
30-09-2008, 12:03 PM
I have in my policy & procedures that theres a recommended time off is until the child is physically well - so no eating or drinking would be a stay at home job.

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/21/2155/215587.png (http://www.bump-and-beyond.com/)

Heaven Scent
30-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Some parents beggar belief don't they.

Gherkin
30-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Tonsilitus is contagious - take it from someone who suffers from it and who has a dd who now suffers with it. Honestly it is one of the most horrible illnesses I ever get (used to get yearly now only every 2 - 3 years) and makes you feel rough as a dog no matter what age you are.

I have sent a lo home this morning she arrived and mum said she was grumpy with a slight ear infection and by 11 ear was leaking everywhere and the happy l;o I normally have was sobbing her heart out. Felt bad sending her thought as mum handed notice in this morning as they are moving back to her hometown.

bubbles
30-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for replies. I say in my policy that i won't look after a child if they are unwell in themselves which is why i sent him home this morning. I also say 48 hours after having anitbiotics but the doctor hasn't given him any. I will stick to my guns and keep him away until he is eating and drinking properly again. I felt mean sending him home today but i don't want to be responsible for a little one that isn't eating or drinking! Hopefully he'll be better soon and none of the rest of them come down with it!! :)